What are some things shown to raise NK cells? (NK activity)

cs3000

2 things backed by studies are Aged Garlic, and AHCC. and effectively too, I'm pretty sure ahcc is really good for this but both of these negatively effect my mood massively at the doses & duration needed

What other things are proven to raise NK activity in people for immunity?

apparently high dose fish oil can lower it

Korven

I have been taking lactoferrin and 'herxing' pretty badly, hope this stops soon and that my NK cells are doing some good work cleaning out the unwelcome critters. Or I will have to lower my dose.

Korven

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Eating oatmeal will boost your NK cells too.
Decent 50% boost in cell count from 200mg beta glucans #300 (looks like 1,3 beta glucan & sourced from yeast), another study using 1000mg for 7 days didn't work so it probably takes a couple weeks to kick in like the other things.

This makes it seem 1,3 is the important form (1,3-1,6 different?) due to low molecular weight of 1,3 - and 200mg of actual beta glucan content increased NK activity from 8% to 10% by week 4 and 12% by week 12

The first study is also 86% 1,3 and barely any 1,6 so seems this is important part

I wonder if more cell count always = more activity? AHCC is alpha + beta glucans I think (mainly alpha maybe?)

Lactoferrin looks good for immunity saw it in a covid trial. but the problem is the iron binding if low in iron , unless can find the iron saturated form but not sure on efficacy

Last edited:

Korven

I wonder if more cell count always = more activity? AHCC is alpha + beta glucans I think

Lactoferrin looks good for immunity saw it in a covid trial. but the problem is the iron binding if low in iron , unless can find the iron saturated form but not sure on efficacy

Aha I didn't know AHCC = beta glucans.

Yeah I think lactoferrin is a quite powerful tool to kill stealth pathogens and break up biofilms (through iron sequestration and direct antimicrobial effects). I believe lactoferrin - i.e iron saturated - is the most common form in supplements and has been shown to improve iron status, (apo)lactoferrin could be a problem though if you are really running low on iron.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

another good one selenium 200mcg supplemented increases NK activity 84% by 2 months. And a 118% increase in ability to destroy tumor cells, ~50% less cells needed to destroy the same amount.
Another study showed correlation between plasma selenium and NK activity in women but not in men, but in this one plasma levels didn't need to rise significantly for the effect. (Even tho not as good for raising plasma levels. but generally selenomethione has shown antiviral benefits I think so )

Wonder if selinite form matters rather than selenomethionine or if they work the same? An in vitro study says selenite directly on NK cells actually inhibits them so it's an indirect effect

Last edited:
OP
cs3000

cs3000

Wonder if selinite form matters rather than selenomethionine or if they work the same? An in vitro study says selenite directly on NK cells actually inhibits them so it's an indirect effect

This one was in 300mcg dietary selenium https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Selenium_on_the_Immune_System_in_Healthy_Men

took 45 days to see the result. oddly the +17% spike in lymphocytes came back down by the end point in this one. but NK cells, NK activity, activated T cells, cytotoxic T cells, T suppressor cells, all were up to an extent

selenium diet 200mcg+  by 45days+.png

idk why the margin for error is so high on all those results though - all of them are elevated which suggests it worked to an extent (not as good as the sodium selenite study). but sodium selenite may have a better effect for this Increased production of proinflammatory cytokines by murine macrophages following oral exposure to sodium selenite but not to seleno-L-methionine - PubMed. 300mcg a day decreased thyroid where low dose increased so maybe best to stick to 150mcg - 200mcg

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Folic acid lowers NK cell cytotoxicity on higher end

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/147/9/1677/4743532

https://www.academia.edu/12376703/U..._cell_cytotoxicity_among_postmenopausal_women

<233mcg or >233mcg dietary folate = same NK cytotoxicity
400mcg + <233mcg diet folate = boosted nk cytotoxicity more than diet groups
400mcg + >233mcg diet folate = same as baseline diet
>400mcg + >233mcg = detrimental
^ guessing >400mcg = 800mcg+? being 2 tablets
so 633mcg total daily = boosted, 1033mcg+ of folate daily = detrimental for NK cells
cooked chicken liver has ~600mcg per 100g

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Arginine increases NK count and activity in humans, acutely by 3 days

Stimulation of lymphocyte natural cytotoxicity by L-arginine - PubMed

In vitro L-arginine enhanced natural-killer (NK) and lymphokine-activated-killer (LAK) cell activity; this cytotoxicity was mediated by CD56+ cells.
In vivo arginine supplements (30 g/day for 3 days) increased the number of circulating CD56+ cells by a median of 32% in eight volunteers (p less than 0.01); this increase was associated with a mean rise of 91% in NK cell activity (p = 0.003) and of 58% in LAK cell activity (p = 0.001) in thirteen volunteers. These findings have potentially important implications for the modulation of natural cytotoxicity in a wide range of disease states.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Vitamin C 3.5g -5.5g dosed once (60mg/kg)

NK cell activity drops ~20% on average as Vit C levels in plasma peak into 3 hours,
then NK cell activity shoots up for the rest of the 24h period,
rising as plasma levels drop over the day (ending still above baseline)
people on the low end got a 3x 4x increase

(maybe best way to dose Vit C for immunity is just 1 big dose & not re-dosing for 24h)

Extra Dose of Vitamin C Based on a Daily Supplementation Shortens the Common Cold: A Meta-Analysis of 9 Randomized Controlled Trials

The efficacy mentioned above could help patients in shortening bad experiences and being earlier engaged in work. On account of this therapeutic effect, we would like to recommend a small daily dose of vitamin C (no more than 1.0g/day) to boost immunity and a larger dose of vitamin C during the common cold (a large dose than before, usually 3.0 g/day to 4.0 g/day) to better recover health.

vit c nk 234.png

vit c nk.png

Last edited:
OP
cs3000

cs3000

Inosine

On Days 1 to 13 of the trial, each of the ten volunteers received a 1 g IAD (po, qds). On the morning of Day 14, subjects received a single 1 g oral dose.

The consistent, and by far the most compelling change, was an increase in the percentage of NK cells among the total lymphocyte population (Fig. 3e). The increase commenced early among the cohort: the majority between 1 - 3 days of IAD administration; with five subjects evidencing augmented NK cell percentages 1.5 h after first dosing.
By Day 5, all but one volunteer had a higher proportion (over baseline) of their lymphocytes represented by NK cells: this effectively greater than doubling of the NK contribution being maintained at Day 14 (trial termination)

A beneficial influence on NK cells was shown to begin early, rise progressively, and persist throughout the 14 days of IAD administration to the participants of the clinical trial. Remarkably, all subjects showing this IAD-promoted NK uplift were healthy, without sign or manifestation of immune compromise. IAD has been used widely and studied intensely for four decades with no evidence of it promoting lymphopenia. The observed increase in percentage NK cells amongst total lymphocytes therefore likely results from a boost in absolute cell number. Indeed, on enumerating subsets within the PBMC fraction collected from Ficoll gradients during the trial, the NK population at Day 14, for example, now averaged 225% greater in number than at baseline (i.e. Day 1 pre-drug administration)

Red bar = covid mortality in nursing homes where residents were taking Inosine, vs nursing homes that wern't

inosine immunity.png

aliml

Overall, nicotinamide appears to enhance NK cell function by promoting their expansion, preserving their function, and increasing their metabolic activity. Additionally, nicotinamide may modulate multiple metabolic pathways to enhance the cytotoxicity and antitumor activity of NK cells.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals