updates on drugs/hormones

jyb

Since this forum has matured (creation in 2012), I thought it'd be interesting to give up to date testimonials regarding a few supplements with the hindsight of time and experience. Some of these don't seem to come up as much in discussions as a year ago, it could be that people experiment less, or that experimenters didn't find them useful and then stopped talking about it.

I'll share mine below based on my experience to date.

OP
J

jyb

Pregnenolone: I tried for 6 months, still use it. It seems to be a good general anti-stress and possibly improves sleep.

Cyproheptadine: tried for less than a year. I used it to improve mental clarity and better sleep onset. It did help both when it worked, but it was not consistent. I don't use it anymore because pregnenolone seems more consistent and easier to use.

Lisuride: I didn't experiment with it very long so I'm unsure about my opinion. I had mixed results.

Tianeptine: tried for a few months. It seemed to improve my sleep sometimes. I'm still curious about it.

Peata

Pregnenolone: Tried it last spring and had nearly intolerable side effects similar to SSRI withdrawal. I would sometimes wait a week and try again with same problem. Other times I'd take smaller doses each day but no matter what, I would get the same bad effects. Took time to go away completely. Definitely not worth it in my case, do not plan to touch it again.

Cyproheptadine: I loved how it took the edge off me - little things never got me down. Thoughts did not make me anxious. I stopped some of my "tics" such as hair pulling. And eventually I adjusted to the sedation and had no problem. The worst two things about it; After about 2 weeks of increasing dose, my appetite went through the roof and I started gaining. And when i tried to go off it, i had to do a taper because i experienced SSRI withdrawals. Thankfully they were mostly mild and short lived - it cleared out of my system quicker than SSRIs or Pregnenolone.

tomisonbottom

Peata said:
Pregnenolone: Tried it last spring and had nearly intolerable side effects similar to SSRI withdrawal. I would sometimes wait a week and try again with same problem. Other times I'd take smaller doses each day but no matter what, I would get the same bad effects. Took time to go away completely. Definitely not worth it in my case, do not plan to touch it again.

Cyproheptadine: I loved how it took the edge off me - little things never got me down. Thoughts did not make me anxious. I stopped some of my "tics" such as hair pulling. And eventually I adjusted to the sedation and had no problem. The worst two things about it; After about 2 weeks of increasing dose, my appetite went through the roof and I started gaining. And when i tried to go off it, i had to do a taper because i experienced SSRI withdrawals. Thankfully they were mostly mild and short lived - it cleared out of my system quicker than SSRIs or Pregnenolone.

Hi Peata, did you try a different brand of Pregnenolone? I had an awful reaction with it when I tried the ark of wellness powder, but then I tried pure encapsulations and have no problems.

Which Cypro did you get? I'd like to try that since it worked well for you. I don't want to gain weight, but I never have an appetite so maybe that would be a good thing for me in the long run.

Peata

tomisonbottom said:
Peata said:

Hi Peata, did you try a different brand of Pregnenolone? I had an awful reaction with it when I tried the ark of wellness powder, but then I tried pure encapsulations and have no problems.

Which Cypro did you get? I'd like to try that since it worked well for you. I don't want to gain weight, but I never have an appetite so maybe that would be a good thing for me in the long run.

I tried two different brands of preg: MRM and Superior Source. I don't think my reactions were typical. Most people I read about who use it have no problems and in fact, experience benefits.

Cypro was a generic Rx.

Dayman

Peata said:
tomisonbottom said:
Peata said:

I tried two different brands of preg: MRM and Superior Source. I don't think my reactions were typical. Most people I read about who use it have no problems and in fact, experience benefits.

Cypro was a generic Rx.

Also try the health natura pregnenolone. I once got a cheap pregnenolone on ebay and got super angry so I think it might have been something else.
How long did it take you to adjust to the cypro sedation?
I have found I get irritable above 1mg, but have not been on it for long enough stints to increase the dose.

SQu

Pregnenolone gave me headaches but I think that's blood sugar/ingredients, will revisit one day.
Cyproheptadine I still take 3mg a day, no side effects not even hunger, patchy on insomnia but then so is everything.
Progesterone is a life saver. Plan to take this till the other side of menopause - and beyond!
Aspirin - for life, I hope. Plus 1 oz liver daily and keep an eye out for bleeding/bruising - but it works for me
Thyroid is changing my life, that's mostly T3 and some T4, synthetic not NDT.
Would like to try that high altitude one - ondansetron? someday.

Peata

Peateat said:
Peata said:
tomisonbottom said:
Peata said:

Cypro was a generic Rx.

Also try the health natura pregnenolone. I once got a cheap pregnenolone on ebay and got super angry so I think it might have been something else.
I have found I get irritable above 1mg, but have not been on it for long enough stints to increase the dose.

Thanks, but pregnenolone was some of the worst stuff I ever took, so I don't plan to revisit it in any form or brand, at least not anytime soon.

I don't know how long it took to adjust to cypro sedation. This was last Fall. I took very small amounts at first, 1/2 mg. per night, and worked up. At first it had me sleeping a lot longer than usual and when I woke up, I felt a wave of nausea and a sort of fuzzy, hungover feeling. Eventually I stopped having that effect.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sueq said:
Pregnenolone gave me headaches but I think that's blood sugar/ingredients, will revisit one day.
Cyproheptadine I still take 3mg a day, no side effects not even hunger, patchy on insomnia but then so is everything.
Progesterone is a life saver. Plan to take this till the other side of menopause - and beyond!
Aspirin - for life, I hope. Plus 1 oz liver daily and keep an eye out for bleeding/bruising - but it works for me
Thyroid is changing my life, that's mostly T3 and some T4, synthetic not NDT.
Would like to try that high altitude one - ondansetron? someday.
I think the high altitude one is acetazolimde. I just didn't want you to waste money on the wrong product. :D

SQu

Thanks blossom! Not happening anytime soon as the postal service is not to be trusted and especially if there is some excuse to hold something up, like medication. So without a prescription I'm close to stuck. Just found out that progesterone is in the same boat as it is now schedule 4 and not even a homeopathic doctor can prescribe. Effectively removing it from the reach of 99% of women.

tara

sueq said:
Just found out that progesterone is in the same boat as it is now schedule 4 and not even a homeopathic doctor can prescribe. Effectively removing it from the reach of 99% of women.
Baah. So busy 'protecting' people. I guess you can easily buy a lethal dose of paracetamol or alcohol OTC?

SQu

Exactly. Yesterday a friend died of cancer that started in the breast and was treated conventionally, 'cleared ' then returned in the brain. On Sunday an international one day cricket match was played in pink for 'breast cancer awareness'. I think in effect that means 'have more mammograms' as they lock the progesterone away.

Peata

I was looking back through my records and saw some things about my Cypro use that I'd forgotten over the months. My notes aren't as detailed as they could have been, so I've tried to piece things together. Looks like I took it in very small doses, 1/2 - 1 mg. No increased appetite or weight. I must have done that for a month, but my doctor urged me to increase the dose for antihistamine purposes. He wanted me taking 12 mg. daily. Since my allergies were bad, especially a chronic cough that was getting worse with the changing seasons, I decided to try it. It was about 6 weeks since starting Cypro that I took between 8 and 11 mg. daily, in divided doses. It didn't help, and in less than I week my suspicions about increased appetite and weight gain couldn't be ignored, so I stopped taking it. I didn't take even Benadryl for months just in case it could affect my weight too.

So, I feel the urge to try Cypro again on the very small dose, 1/2 mg. no more than 1 mg. I started last night, and maybe it was a coincidence, but I had the best sleep and non-interrupted (7 hours) that I've had in about 10 days. Before that, I was having trouble with what I feel were high cortisol symptoms that messed with my sleep. Anyway, I will keep track of my weight but if it's like last time, I don't expect anything to happen at such a small dose. I just hope the tiny dose can do some good things for me like it did last time, when it seemed like it lowered serotonin, tryptophan, cortisol, etc.

Peata

Peateat said:
Peata said:
tomisonbottom said:
Peata said:

Cypro was a generic Rx.

BTW, I suspected even then, that the reason I felt horrible on pregnenolone was that it increased my cortisol. And since then there have been times I've had similar symptoms (such as when I took a short course of prednisone, and when I ate too few calories) that I've had a lot of those symptoms. So, i think cortisol at least had something to do with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals