Uncoupling question

LazloC

If something is a mitochondrial uncoupler, does that mean it automatically reduces ATP production? I understand the benefits of the uncoupling agent is raising thermogenesis/body heat production but is it worth that to lower ATP production? Doesn’t that mean the mitochondria is working less efficiently?

Yes less efficiently. But apparently a metabolic advantage. So called futile cycles are healthy.

brightside

Depends of the context. Uncoupling can reduce oxidative stress, which is expensive on not only the energy supply but mineral and protein supply.

It can also recycle some of the excess protons and therefore allow oxphos to run faster, kind of like clearing out clogged pipes. So it runs faster, actually, but produces less ATP.

Definitely can be highly pro-energetic, even if it reduces maximal ATP production temporarily. I really benefit from aspirin’s uncoupling effects, but it does drain my iron like no tomorrow.

OP
L

LazloC

Depends of the context. Uncoupling can reduce oxidative stress, which is expensive on not only the energy supply but mineral and protein supply.

It can also recycle some of the excess protons and therefore allow oxphos to run faster, kind of like clearing out clogged pipes. So it runs faster, actually, but produces less ATP.

Definitely can be highly pro-energetic, even if it reduces maximal ATP production temporarily. I really benefit from aspirin’s uncoupling effects, but it does drain my iron like no tomorrow.
OK that’s helpful. Thank you. Good to know because I have iron deficiency anemia…

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals