Tianeptine - feeling quite terrible after small doses

Ashoka

Hey everyone,

I‘ve had only two doses of tianeptine (stablon) over the course of a few days and I’ve gotten very poor effects from it. Since this happened quickly I just went “cold turkey”, because I can’t see how tapering off would make sense given the reactions I got so immediately (and I really couldn’t see how I was going to take another tablet). But the side effects feel like what you might associate with withdrawal - increased anxiety, bodily discomfort, intermittently sweating palms and feet, lack of appetite, mild nausea, etc. It’s been rather clear and alarming, and I’m not sure what I should be doing, if anything. It’s been two days and I still have these things going on, and the nausea and unique digestive effect is characteristic that is still in fact the tianeptine influencing these things.

This is also a reality check that tianeptine can have unpleasant side effects even in small doses. They say it has potentially less side effects than other antidepressants, but for me it was negative almost immediately upon taking. It seemed to numb me out and add a layer of depression while I was on it to the point I was almost completely anhedonic, which is something I deal with to a degree already. That side effect may be wearing off with sleep, although feeling so mentally stimulated from it prevented me from sleep the other night. This will likely be the last time I take pharma for anything general mental/physical health related.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the best approach here?

Thank you~

mostlylurking

Hey everyone,

I‘ve had only two doses of tianeptine (stablon) over the course of a few days and I’ve gotten very poor effects from it. Since this happened quickly I just went “cold turkey”, because I can’t see how tapering off would make sense given the reactions I got so immediately (and I really couldn’t see how I was going to take another tablet). But the side effects feel like what you might associate with withdrawal - increased anxiety, bodily discomfort, intermittently sweating palms and feet, lack of appetite, mild nausea, etc. It’s been rather clear and alarming, and I’m not sure what I should be doing, if anything. It’s been two days and I still have these things going on, and the nausea and unique digestive effect is characteristic that is still in fact the tianeptine influencing these things.

This is also a reality check that tianeptine can have unpleasant side effects even in small doses. They say it has potentially less side effects than other antidepressants, but for me it was negative almost immediately upon taking. It seemed to numb me out and add a layer of depression while I was on it to the point I was almost completely anhedonic, which is something I deal with to a degree already. That side effect may be wearing off with sleep, although feeling so mentally stimulated from it prevented me from sleep the other night. This will likely be the last time I take pharma for anything general mental/physical health related.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the best approach here?

Thank you~
If it was me, I'd stop taking it.
a quick web search yielded this:

Depression has been linked to brain hypoxia which is linked to thiamine deficiency.

worrywart

Most people who have trouble with tianeptine take insane doses, we're talking over 1 g a day, which would equal three boxes / 90 pills of Stablon. At such doses it's not an antidepressant but a hard drug.

At reasonable doses it's the best drug I've ever taken for depression, but my country has recently taken it off drugstore shelves, even though they admit in the report that they found no incidence of abuse in our territory.

I think Peat did say that some people can have negative reactions even to small doses.

The effect I get from tianeptine is similar to an amphetamine boost, but with none of the nasty amphetamine side-effects. If I stick to responsible doses I get no withdrawals.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

Most people who have trouble with tianeptine take insane doses, we're talking over 1 g a day, which would equal three boxes / 90 pills of Stablon. At such doses it's not an antidepressant but a hard drug.

At reasonable doses it's the best drug I've ever taken for depression, but my country has recently taken it off drugstore shelves, even though they admit in the report that they found no incidence of abuse in our territory.

I think Peat did say that some people can have negative reactions even to small doses.

The effect I get from tianeptine is similar to an amphetamine boost, but with none of the nasty amphetamine side-effects. If I stick to responsible doses I get no withdrawals.
Glad it works for you, and that’s really too bad that it was removed in that case. And yes it appears that most of the people having problems with tianeptine are abusing it.

That being said, I’m going two days later and feeling withdrawal effects from a couple doses. It’s also made me even more tired and lethargic than usual, and my body is hurting. I often seem to react poorly to medications, perhaps due to my conditions. So I’m letting people know it can be problematic in some cases. I’m also asking for ideas about mitigating these symptoms and effects.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

If it was me, I'd stop taking it.
a quick web search yielded this:

Depression has been linked to brain hypoxia which is linked to thiamine deficiency.
Those articles seem to be referencing “supplements” that were providing massive doses in comparison to the pharmaceutical preparations. But yeah, I think that’s terrible it’s being sold in that form.

Thank you for that article. I’m definitely interested in that idea!

At the moment I’m just trying to get through the discomfort of stopping this medication. All I really know to do is try distract myself and wait it out.

worrywart

Those articles seem to be referencing “supplements” that were providing massive doses in comparison to the pharmaceutical preparations. But yeah, I think that’s terrible it’s being sold in that form.

Thank you for that article. I’m definitely interested in that idea!

At the moment I’m just trying to get through the discomfort of stopping this medication. All I really know to do is try distract myself and wait it out.

You're most likely almost there. My tianeptine withdrawals (when I'd take larger doses) would always last four days, third day being the hardest. I know it's tough but you're almost there. A painkiller like ibuprofen and magnesium for the anxiety can provide some relief.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

You're most likely almost there. My tianeptine withdrawals (when I'd take larger doses) would always last four days, third day being the hardest. I know it's tough but you're almost there. A painkiller like ibuprofen and magnesium for the anxiety can provide some relief.
I appreciate that. The only thing is I can’t tell if it’s causing hyperventilation/shortness of breath or it’s just my anxiety. I may end up having to go to urgent care or something.

worrywart

I appreciate that. The only thing is I can’t tell if it’s causing hyperventilation/shortness of breath or it’s just my anxiety. I may end up having to go to urgent care or something.

Hmm, I'd try bag breathing and propranolol (it's cheap, every drugstore sells it).

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

I just wanted to update and say I’m okay. I think the shortness of breath was caused by not eating much at all (common pattern for me that occurs with stress). Tianeptine also caused mild nausea which didn’t help that pattern. I do believe I experienced minor effects of withdrawal that were quite unpleasant though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals