Glycine helped me quit 7+ years of Klonopin use (from Reddit)

CoconutEffect

Difficult to find, so highlighting it here... add sarcosine? thoughts @Lokzo ?

"I'll try and be brief. Basically, I took Klonopin for about 7 years, was prescribed for general anxiety and not to exceed a couple weeks usage -- of course you already know how that went. Anyway, throughout the years I made 3 attempts to withdraw by tapering doses, but I always wound up back at square one. I had a host of awful and scary symptoms on those attempts, the most unsettling were jerking pains in my heart that literally felt life-threatening.
Fast forward to early 2017 when I was looking for something to help with sleep and I came across glycine. I felt desirable effects from it regarding sleep and anxiety, so I just kept taking it daily in the morning and at night, without thinking much of it. Soon I started to notice that my body seemed to care a whole lot less over whether I was taking my Klonopin regularly or not. Whereas before my body was reminding me like "Hey, I need some benzos down here STAT or I'm going to wreck your life"; now it seemed to be more like "Meh, okay." So I went into my 4th and final taper -- this one went off with kind of a whimper. I would take both things alternately or concurrently and do it kind of on feel, always aiming to reduce my Klonopin intake, sometimes I'd feel the need to take Klonopin and I would take Klonopin, other times I would feel the same need and take glycine instead. I played it by ear with the ultimate target being the overall reduction of Klonopin intake.
I don't want to make it sound too easy, but it really felt like before glycine my body NEEDED whatever receptor binding the Klonopin was doing, and after being on glycine for many months it just seemed like it had stocked up on something deficient and the Klonopin was just more fuel to my body -- like one was diesel and the other was kerosene, but my car could run on either one -- to an extent (it's not magic either, I still had some growing pains). So, I tapered and really haven't had any trouble since. This was probably around December 2017. I kept taking the glycine once I was finished with the Klonopin. Around April 2018 I decided to quit taking the glycine too, and I was morbidly curious whether it was going to cause a withdrawal of its own, but as it turns out, glycine was something I could essentially quit from one day to the next.
Somewhere along the line, I was talking with a friend who had been on Xanax for over 10 years. I told him about the glycine thing with all the caveats -- like "Dude, I don't know if this is going to help anyone else, but here's what happened to me..." and so I sent him home with a Ziplock baggie of the powder. He was able to taper from 2 mg down to 0.5 mg in a month or two, and he wound up tapering fully as well.
I don't want to be on here touting some miracle cure, I don't know if it's going to work for anyone else -- I have a sample size of exactly two. But I also wouldn't feel right about not sharing this information on the off chance that it might actually help someone else.
Glycine is cheap and can be bought anywhere, and brings just about zero risk with it. Would be cool if anyone who tries it out, whether they're successful or unsuccessful, posts about it for the benefit of others.
I guess Ask Me Anything."

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing. I've been taking 0.25mg clonazepam for decades for sleep and haven't been able to discontinue it. I'll give the glycine a try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals