D.

13.The media is neither well-informed
nor objective about vitamin D.

14.We must take immediate action to
remedy the health crisis that has
resulted from faulty conclusions about
vitamin D in chronic disease.

nbznj

Does anyone have solid science on L-form bacteria and chronic inflammation?

nbznj

Looks like a bad diet is where it’s at - who’d have thought

The understanding of the processes which trigger the pathogenic potential of L-form bacteria is necessary for developing adequate therapeutic approaches. It seems that host homeostasis is of critical importance for maintaining symbiosis with L-form bacteria. However, when the microbial-host balance is disturbed and L-forms increase in number, it is possible to develop “harmful” morphological forms contributing to the appearance of pathology (inflammatory, autoimmune, and cancer diseases)

L-form Bacteria Cohabitants in Human Blood: Significance for Health and Diseases - Nadya Markova - Discovery Medicine

LeeLemonoil

Well those 14 points could be applied to any and all supplements and pharmacons with slight tweaks.

Ultimately, the human physiology is ultra-complex. We like to think that we understand quite a lot about what is going on, but with every bit of knowledge comes a plethora of new questions and blank spaces of ignorance.
Then there isn’t an optimal state of health. There is only homeostasis - and most important, the fact that we decay and wane with every single day that passes. Some quicker, more drastically, some enjoy phases of stability or slowing of that process - but eventually, every substance that alters physiology as powerful as secosteroids like Vit D are subject to homeostatic mechanisms that we cannot understand let alone control perfectly.
Hence, sometimes for somebody under certain circumstances Vit D might quicken or slow down decline - in direct oder indirect, intertwined ways beyond our grasp

LeeLemonoil

The paper is from 2009. A time when many doctors and researchers not yet thought about Vit D as a secosteroid.
When Alternative Health claimed it is a cure it all and Pharma feared it might really be.

There is too much unknown agenda behind that paper to take it seriously.

baccheion

Where is it shown vitamin D is immunosuppressive (in a relevant way) at 30-32 ng/mL?

The body uses up all vitamin D until serum goes above ~42 ng/mL. A tribe in Africa (black and outside a lot at their native/natural latitude) had average serum 25(OH)D around 46 ng/mL. Both suggest a serum in the 40s is what's desired by the body.

15,000-20,000 IUs can be produced after 30 minutes in direct sunlight. On the other hand, production tapers to approach 4,000 IU as sufficiency (serum in the 40s) is achieved.

Evidence.

Last edited:

LucyL

From the paper: "Could it be that the people we call ―Vitamin D deficient‖ actually have a normal level of 25-D? Studies which have tested the level of 25-D in people who live in countries where vitamin D is not added to the food chain prove this scenario to be true. A study which tested the level of 25-D in 90 ―healthy, ambulatory Chilean women‖ showed that 27% of the premenopausal and 60% of the postmenopausal women had 25-D levels under 20 ng/ml.[55]"

I was "healthy, ambulatory ... premenopausal" with low Vit D level in the 20's, before I was dx with BC. This statement makes me suspect low Vit D levels may be related to high estrogen ( or progesterone defeciency).

This would be a fun bit to unpack:"...Vitamin D Receptor, the lynchpin of the innate immune system." It builds on both the theory of "receptors" and popular model of the immune system, both of which Peat writes about a lot, and should throw flags that careful analysis is needed before wholesale buy-in.

baccheion

From the paper: "Could it be that the people we call ―Vitamin D deficient‖ actually have a normal level of 25-D? Studies which have tested the level of 25-D in people who live in countries where vitamin D is not added to the food chain prove this scenario to be true. A study which tested the level of 25-D in 90 ―healthy, ambulatory Chilean women‖ showed that 27% of the premenopausal and 60% of the postmenopausal women had 25-D levels under 20 ng/ml.[55]"

I was "healthy, ambulatory ... premenopausal" with low Vit D level in the 20's, before I was dx with BC. This statement makes me suspect low Vit D levels may be related to high estrogen ( or progesterone defeciency).

This would be a fun bit to unpack:"...Vitamin D Receptor, the lynchpin of the innate immune system." It builds on both the theory of "receptors" and popular model of the immune system, both of which Peat writes about a lot, and should throw flags that careful analysis is needed before wholesale buy-in.
Low vitamin D is associated with estrogen in women.

Vitamin D association with estradiol and progesterone in young women

Vitamin D Modestly Tied to Sex Hormones in Older Population

Vitamin D is an important factor in estrogen biosynthesis of both female and male gonads. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

nbznj

Upon second lecture of this paper, clearly this is a low grade publication with massive heaps of logic. Or maybe they’re in bed with big dermatology and sunscreen companies.

Vitamin D deficiency or rather, serum 25OHD deficiency correlates with cellular 1,25OHD deficiency well enough so that it’s strongly advised to fix the low levels. As always though, more isn’t better, and whoever claims that we should shoot for the highest part of the range has an interest in such claims. Extra Calcification is NOT desirable.

nbznj

Post menopausal women don’t have higher estrogens... come on now. They’re deficient in all Hormones. It’s called getting old, afaik Peat has no solution to this.

Dave Clark

Check out the FB group Secosteriod Hormone D. Jim Stephenson Jr. is the admin and post a lot of science on the conversation of this thread. You'll notice Morley Robbins is a member, lol!

OceanSpray

Would someone send this to Peat for a comment?
It’s disconcerting how things that don’t fit the narrative often get ignored.

LucyL

Post menopausal women don’t have higher estrogens... come on now. They’re deficient in all Hormones. It’s called getting old, afaik Peat has no solution to this.

In post-menopausal women, estrogen in unopposed because progesterone levels drop, so there is even greater accumulation in the tissues. Almost no one is deficient in estrogen. If there is a fundamental premise of "peating", it is we all have too much estrogen, some way too much.

Zpol

Certainly excessive vit D, be it from the sun or from supplements, is going to have ill effects. As with any steroid, hormone, vitamin, or mineral, it's not simply about the isolated measurement you get on blood labs report, it's about that result in relation to the rest of the lab work.
I don't know all there is to know about vit D, and I'm in the process of learning like you. I found this video extremely helpful but there's always more to know...

Last edited:

somuch4food

Well those 14 points could be applied to any and all supplements and pharmacons with slight tweaks.

Ultimately, the human physiology is ultra-complex. We like to think that we understand quite a lot about what is going on, but with every bit of knowledge comes a plethora of new questions and blank spaces of ignorance.
Then there isn’t an optimal state of health. There is only homeostasis - and most important, the fact that we decay and wane with every single day that passes. Some quicker, more drastically, some enjoy phases of stability or slowing of that process - but eventually, every substance that alters physiology as powerful as secosteroids like Vit D are subject to homeostatic mechanisms that we cannot understand let alone control perfectly.
Hence, sometimes for somebody under certain circumstances Vit D might quicken or slow down decline - in direct oder indirect, intertwined ways beyond our grasp

That's also my current point of view. I used to be on the no supplement camp, but ultimately supplement or not what matters is how the body feels and reacts to what you ingest, do or apply on your skin.

Anyway with the state of the food supply today, it's difficult to tell even when food is nutritious or detrimental with the additives and the time spent between storage and consumption.

Vitamin D is present in animal products and so, should be relatively safe to consume in normal amounts.

schultz

In post-menopausal women, estrogen in unopposed because progesterone levels drop, so there is even greater accumulation in the tissues. Almost no one is deficient in estrogen. If there is a fundamental premise of "peating", it is we all have too much estrogen, some way too much.

@LucyL nailed it.

Blood estrogen is lower in post menopausal women, but the overall effect estrogen has is greater.

Progesterone opposes estrogen in multiple ways.

BigChad

D without calcium and K2 isn’t safe.

do you mean dietary calcium, or that extra calcium needs to be taken with D?
I thought D is meant to increase calcium absorption, so why would supplementing D require more calcium? I mean even if you didn't have calcium, why would that be relevant to D3 being safe, I'd imagine D3 becomes more dangerous the more calcium you consume, while it becomes more important the less calcium you consume?

SOMO

D without calcium and K2 isn’t safe.

This.

When I took high doses of Vit D (by itself), I ended up in the hospital with hypercalcemia.
Hypercalcemia, in case you don't know, is a medical emergency and can result in kidney failure.
Vit D in the absence of the other Fat-soluble Vitamins is not a good idea IMO.

Basically, there is no food which naturally contains Vit D which does not also contain Vit A/E/K. I think the only exception is mushrooms which contain a weaker, different form of Vit D.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals