The Necessity Of Supplements

DaveFoster

I am new to the forum, and I just had a thought regarding the use of supplements in the presence of high levels of PUFA. If PUFAs have a half-life of around 300 days, and it takes about 4-6 years for the majority of fatty acids to release from your tissues and proceed to the liver for detoxification, does this mean that after this point, supplements that mediate the detoxification process become unnecessary in the context of a low-PUFA diet?

Also, would niacinamide in particular, which slows the release of PUFAs from one's tissues, prolong the PUFA detoxification process? I am only 18 years old, and I tended to eat a lower PUFA diet anyway, so I wonder if I should just undergo the detoxification process normally.

If not, what are the most cost-effective supplements with the highest safety profile for my situation. I also have symptoms of ADD, and I read that niacinamide yields a nootropic effect in this regard, but there are also concerns over prolonged liver exposure to niacin. Aspirin presents a similar degree of controversy.

Blinkyrocket

Supplements are just like food, at least b vitamins and aspirin and stuff, except in un physiologically high amounts. The biggest problem with them is intestinal, AS FAR AS I CAN TELL (don't take my word for it), so if you get past that you're fine, I think. E.g. Don't get supplements with fillers like silicon dioxide etc.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Blinkyrocket said:
Supplements are just like food, at least b vitamins and aspirin and stuff, except in un physiologically high amounts. The biggest problem with them is intestinal, AS FAR AS I CAN TELL (don't take my word for it), so if you get past that you're fine, I think. E.g. Don't get supplements with fillers like silicon dioxide etc.

I definitely agree with avoiding fillers. I have always had a preference to get my nutrients from food and to steer away from isolated nutrients unless absolutely necessary. However, I am having good results with topical aspirin. On the other hand, I tried to take 325mg orally yesterday, and this ended with horrible nausea for about 2 hours.

Amazoniac said:
No meed to worry. Just by restricting you can get the benefits of depletion in the long-term. have you read the thread about depleting the majority of PUFA stored in 30 days or so?

I just did read that thread, and it seems that with a restricted fat intake, such immediate detox can occur, which I have been practicing normally anyway. I am unsure as to whether or not the depletion of PUFA in this manner rivals a comprehensive 4-10 year protocol, but it's a great place to start regardless.

I am going to try out niacinamide topically, and I was wondering how to make the solution. I heard a 5% solution allows for superior absorption, but I'm not sure. Would 1/4 tsp niacinamide + 5 tsp distilled water be an adequate ratio for a 5% solution in this case? I would just apply this to my forearm and wait until dry, and I should expect a 10% absorption rate, as per this thread. Does this check out alright?

tara

Peat has suggested fairly low doses of niacinamide - 50 - 100mg, and IIRC, he speculates but is not certain that at such doses it will help the liver with detox more than it will hinder it by suppressing PUFA release.

Giraffe

DaveFoster said:
I am going to try out niacinamide topically, and I was wondering how to make the solution. I heard a 5% solution allows for superior absorption, but I'm not sure. Would 1/4 tsp niacinamide + 5 tsp distilled water be an adequate ratio for a 5% solution in this case? I would just apply this to my forearm and wait until dry, and I should expect a 10% absorption rate, as per this thread. Does this check out alright?
Dave, you might find the SolBan-thread interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5830

Why do you want to try niacinamide? I missed the part about ADD above.

kineticz

I have wasted 1000s of money in supplements, most of it works as it's designed to in a small way but none of it has given me the same benefits as coconut oil/MCTs, coffee, protein, fruit juice, micro dosing thyroid, occassional vitamin A retinol, and electrolytes.

Methylation in the liver is very effective but will dump toxins into the blood stream initially which is risky for those with mitochondrial fatigue.

I would recommend to anyone to save all their money and buy food. It is easy with supplements to think you just found the holy grail and then when that bottoms out you find something else to tout.

Just check the labels on food for low pufa. Saturated fat is fine.

ADD in my experience is caused by serotonin/adrenaline/perhaps progesterone imbalance.

answersfound

Thorne vitamin d/k2
Now foods sun-e
Now foods vitamin a
Dollar store aspirin

Those are my supps. I try to keep it as simple as possible.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

tara said:
Peat has suggested fairly low doses of niacinamide - 50 - 100mg, and IIRC, he speculates but is not certain that at such doses it will help the liver with detox more than it will hinder it by suppressing PUFA release.
This is interesting, so I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and see its effects.
Giraffe said:
"http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5830"

Why do you want to try niacinamide? I missed the part about ADD above.

I've already ordered EstroBan, so I'll give that a shot. After EstroBan, I'll look into SolBan, but I don't want to add in too many variables at once for tracking purposes. Have you had good experiences with either product, personally?
kineticz said:
I have wasted 1000s of money in supplements, most of it works as it's designed to in a small way but none of it has given me the same benefits as coconut oil/MCTs, coffee, protein, fruit juice, micro dosing thyroid, occassional vitamin A retinol, and electrolytes.

Methylation in the liver is very effective but will dump toxins into the blood stream initially which is risky for those with mitochondrial fatigue.

I would recommend to anyone to save all their money and buy food. It is easy with supplements to think you just found the holy grail and then when that bottoms out you find something else to tout.

ADD in my experience is caused by serotonin/adrenaline/perhaps progesterone imbalance.
Definitely agree with the food > supplements. Like I said, I'll try EstroBan, which should provide Vitamin A, and since I drink about a gallon of 1% daily, I'm getting some there as well. I'm curious about micro dosing thyroid, since I'm going to be going off to college in a couple months and would definitely prefer an alternative to Adderall for those all-nighters.

Speaking of electrolytes, what's been particularly helpful for you?

At this point I'm aiming for the following in descending order of priority: (1) get all dietary RDAs to 100% and limit PUFA to >3g daily (2) use external methods, such as exercise, bright light therapy, possibly red light therapy, (3) mitigate PUFA response using niacinamide, aspirin, etc. (4) use thyroid and pregnenolone to mitigate any stress-response.

Thorne vitamin d/k2
Now foods sun-e
Now foods vitamin a
Dollar store aspirin

Those are my supps. I try to keep it as simple as possible.
Looks like what I'll be taking, plus niacinamide. Have you experienced any noticeable positive effects from these, particularly the aspirin?

Giraffe

DaveFoster said:
Giraffe said:
DaveFoster said:
I am going to try out niacinamide topically, and I was wondering how to make the solution. I heard a 5% solution allows for superior absorption, but I'm not sure. Would 1/4 tsp niacinamide + 5 tsp distilled water be an adequate ratio for a 5% solution in this case? I would just apply this to my forearm and wait until dry, and I should expect a 10% absorption rate, as per "http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5847" Does this check out alright?
"http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5830"
I've already ordered EstroBan, so I'll give that a shot. After EstroBan, I'll look into SolBan, but I don't want to add in too many variables at once for tracking purposes. Have you had good experiences with either product, personally?
I linked the thread because you find the answer to your questions there and some more useful information. :)

kineticz

I take a High 5 energy electrolyte tablet containing

200mg sodium
50mg potassium
5mg calcium
50mg magnesium
20mg vitamin C

all bicarbonate forms for better kidney absorption. Also fruit juice and milk in the morning and night adds to all these.

tomisonbottom

What do you consider "micro-dosing"?
And what symptoms do you take it for?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals