Time to get organized with supplements

leo

Forgive me if my questions have been answered elsewhere.....I am reading non stop and trying to catch up with you all.

I am now in week 3 of Peating. Some ups and downs but I'm willing to stick with it and am now looking into supplementation to complete the process.

I still have more things to order to the states but don't know which ones are good ones:

Vitamin E
Progesterone cream
Magnesium
Pregnenolone

I have already received collagen/gelatin, nutrisorb A and have started those. Regarding nutrisorb...am I correct that you do not take it orally but put it on the skin? How many drops and do I have to mix it with something else for absorption?

Also...today I had liver for the first time.....ever. Not a big fan, but can someone remind me why we are supposed to eat it? And is having an iced coffee drink with it enough to counter the iron? What else are we supposed to eat with it...is it aspirin?

I'm kind of foggy today. My husband asked me "if this is such a great way of eating, why do you have to order so many supplements?". I didn't answer. (didn't know what to say :oops: )

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions!!

J

j.

For vitamin E, I alternate between Swanson Maximum Strength Gamma and Carlson E-Gems Plus. If you were to take just one, I think Swanson is the better option, because it has a good amount of gamma tocopherol, which seems to have the most benefits (prevention of thrombosis, high cholesterol, prostate problems).

For pregnenolone, look at the ingredients list and make sure it doesn't have bad things like silica. Sometimes the same brand might have different ingredients in different dose presentations of the same product. I bought Life Extension 100 mg and Swanson Pregnenolone 10 mg and 50 mg. They seemed good.

J

j.

I think it might be a good idea to do the diet for say, 6 months, before preaching too much about how good it is.

J

j.

If you consume an average of 5,000 IU of vitamin A daily, you probably don't need to supplement, unless you experience vitamin A deficiency symptoms that go away when you supplement, such as acne or dandruff. 3 ounces of beef liver have 24,000 IU of vitamin A, so it almost fulfills the weakly requirement of 35,000 IU. Butter, milk, and eggs provide vitamin A as well.

OP
L

leo

Wow...am glad I asked. I don't think I will need this then, as I eat butter milk and eggs and will try to continue with the weekly liver. gag

Thanks for the other recs as well.

After my low carb fiasco, believe me I don't preach anymore!! LOL

OP
L

leo

Sorry forgot to ask....I will give the nutrisorb to my daughter who has tested low in vit A in the past.

How should it be dosed? On the skin? 5,000IU? Mix with something?

Thanks!

J

j.

I personally wouldn't take nutrisorb at all because it is not fat soluble vitamin A, it is micellized vitamin A. This is my position, my guess is that Ray Peat disagrees. I saw some studies which implied that it's 10 times more potent than the fat soluble vitamin A, so it's hard to dose correctly using this form.

If you do dose vitamin A through the skin, you shouldn't expose your skin to sunlight. But still, beef liver once a week would be good for your daughter. Soak it in milk a few hours before cooking and maybe you'll like the taste.

OP
L

leo

Thanks j.

She's vegetarian. (yeah, I know).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
leo said:
I still have more things to order to the states but don't know which ones are good ones:

Vitamin E
Progesterone cream
Magnesium
Pregnenolone

I know how it is, I jumped into Peat, looking at all the suggestions and bought up everything I could, except thyroid because I was scared of thyroid at first. So then I got everything and started taking it, bad move. Because I could not tell what was doing what. I think it is excellent advice to add in one supplement at a time, and see how you react to it. And before that, I would suggest getting your food nailed down to see how you are reacting to food. Find your base of what works good for you, then build off it

I have already received collagen/gelatin, nutrisorb A and have started those. Regarding nutrisorb...am I correct that you do not take it orally but put it on the skin? How many drops and do I have to mix it with something else for absorption?

Alternating areas on the skin is best, IIRC Ray Peat puts it on his legs. Again this is another supplement you need to see how you react to it. Some people do good on a few thousand milligrams, others need many thousands of milligrams.

Also...today I had liver for the first time.....ever. Not a big fan, but can someone remind me why we are supposed to eat it? And is having an iced coffee drink with it enough to counter the iron? What else are we supposed to eat with it...is it aspirin?

There is so much goodness in liver you really just need to buckle in and get use to it. I did. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be eating liver, I now crave it. Yes, coffee with liver to stop as much iron absorption as possible.

I'm kind of foggy today. My husband asked me "if this is such a great way of eating, why do you have to order so many supplements?". I didn't answer. (didn't know what to say :oops: )

There is not too much supplementation needed, or a very few select and still not everyone needs those. There are things you can take like niacninamide and aspirin to help lessen the damage of free fatty acids in the body. Thyroid to help you metabolism until your own body can carry on for itself.

One thing I really appreciate about this way of life. You get to find out what works for you. Not everyone is doing one set plan. We find how foods work, which foods do the least damage and less toxic, foods that will prime the metabolism. Certain select supplements that help up to achieve the robust metabolic state so that we can thrive. It takes time to work through this and feel you way through the maze of toxic foods, nefarious excipients in supplements, how too much of this, or too little of that, will effect the body. This is a learning experience of YOUR body that you will finally be taking control of. You are given the tools to understand how your body works, and what you are doing to it effects it in the most subtle ways. A very liberating experience.

j. said:
I think it might be a good idea to do the diet for say, 6 months, before preaching too much about how good it is.

Yep, let it speak for itself. You will not need to say a word. ;)

gretchen

I need to jump in and thaw the liver. I know once I cook it it will be OK. After over a year of Peating, the vitamin A is the one of the things I'm still not getting right........

Leo, some supplements like aspirin and B vitamins are good to start with and easy to stay stocked up on.

tomisonbottom

j. said:
If you consume an average of 5,000 IU of vitamin A daily, you probably don't need to supplement, unless you experience vitamin A deficiency symptoms that go away when you supplement, such as acne or dandruff. 3 ounces of beef liver have 24,000 IU of vitamin A, so it almost fulfills the weakly requirement of 35,000 IU. Butter, milk, and eggs provide vitamin A as well.

Where does that 35,000 IU number come from? Is that recommended by Peat?

J

j.

tomisonbottom said:
j. said:

Where does that 35,000 IU number come from? Is that recommended by Peat?

Peat says most people need 5,000 IU daily, so 35,000 IU weekly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals