The best fat for healthy testes (and high testosterone)

Hans

Forum Supporter
----------------
TL: DR
Coconut oil:
  • Can dramatically improve the health of your testes by reducing oxidative stress, DNA damage and inflammation.
  • Can also protect the testes against any toxin, such as heavy metals, plastics, drugs, mold, etc., making the testes resilient.
  • Enhances free cholesterol in the testes, which boosts testosterone production.
  • Improves the testosterone-to-LH ratio, likely by increasing the LH receptor and sensitivity.

LeeLemonoil

Would you suggest topically applying it?
Both consuming and topical application seems beneficial.

MCT-oil is readily available and can be easily applied or put into a light mct-oil based Lotion to have better haptics.

Leaves the question if abd how Lauric acid adds to coconut oils positives since MCT lacks lauric acid

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What do you think of cocoa butter? I think I’ve seen it’s pretty similar to tallow.
Definitely good due to high stearic acid content.
However, plant fats don't contain nearly the same components as animal fats, such as fat soluble vitamins, phytochemicals, etc.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Would you suggest topically applying it?
I was also thinking about that, but since your nutsack will be oily for maybe a couple hours, I thought it would be too inconvenient to suggest.

Summer

Does it matter if it’s refined? Unrefined CO does not sit well in my stomach at all. I applied to my scalp once and it burned like crazy.

ChetnikPeater

Does it matter if it’s refined? Unrefined CO does not sit well in my stomach at all. I applied to my scalp once and it burned like crazy.
Ray Peat reccomended refined as opposed to unrefined CO all the time due to it not being as allergenic. Topically though, I prefer unrefined because it smells better and never bothered me. I also feel that some nutrients are maybe lost during the refining process that would be beneficial for topical application (I just made that up) and it smells better.

Summer

Ray Peat reccomended refined as opposed to unrefined CO all the time due to it not being as allergenic. Topically though, I prefer unrefined because it smells better and never bothered me. I also feel that some nutrients are maybe lost during the refining process that would be beneficial for topical application (I just made that up) and it smells better.
Thanks for the response. Unrefined certainly has more of a coconut scent and taste. I’m not sure why it burned my scalp. I’ve used it on other areas without issue. I’m sure the anti-microbial properties are diminished in the refining process but as long as the fat content doesn’t get compromised, I’ll stick with it.

ChetnikPeater

Thanks for the response. Unrefined certainly has more of a coconut scent and taste. I’m not sure why it burned my scalp. I’ve used it on other areas without issue. I’m sure the anti-microbial properties are diminished in the refining process but as long as the fat content doesn’t get compromised, I’ll stick with it.
Yeah, I never know what Peat means by allergenic a lot of the time (irritating maybe?) but maybe some are more sensitive than others.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes refined is perfect for topical. The benefits, according to the study, were due to the fatty acids.

Bogdar

Do we have any information / ideas on how long it takes for our testes to change their lipid profile ? Is it like week to week or years to years ?

Mauritio

Also interesting is the effect on the GSH/GSSG ratio, which is way higher in olive oil and coconut oil.
As georgi said often, this ratio is a proxy for the NAD/Nadh ratio.

You should've included the testosterone study on iberian pig lard, although that didn't make olive oil look the greatest, but coconut oil was second best to the iberian pig lard.

Sitaruîm

Do we have any information / ideas on how long it takes for our testes to change their lipid profile ? Is it like week to week or years to years ?
When you start doing things well, you feel the benefits quite quickly, these ideas that it takes years of diligence to get better are not helpful.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
It depends on how much PUFA you continue to ingest and how much PUFA is still stored in the body. Changes can happen within a few weeks, but the majority of the changes will take months.

I've seen an interesting animal study, that when they fed these animals a high PUFA diet during puberty and then switched to a low fat diet after puberty, they maintained irreversible detrimental testicular alterations. In that case, maybe a very low fat and low PUFA diet for 1 to 3 months with 1 tsp coconut oil x3 daily might remodel the testicular lipids very rapidly.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
You should've included the testosterone study on iberian pig lard, although that didn't make olive oil look the greatest, but coconut oil was second best to the iberian pig lard.
Interestingly they speculate that the T-boosting effect of the Iberian lard is due to high PUFA and MUFA and lower SFA compared to regular lard. I wonder what makes the Iberian lard so good according to the results from the study, since it didn't have "special" amounts of fatty acids that the other oils didn't have. I wonder if it's not high in fat-soluble vitamins, such as MK-4, which has been shown in rat studies to increase T.

Mauritio

Interestingly they speculate that the T-boosting effect of the Iberian lard is due to high PUFA and MUFA and lower SFA compared to regular lard. I wonder what makes the Iberian lard so good according to the results from the study, since it didn't have "special" amounts of fatty acids that the other oils didn't have. I wonder if it's not high in fat-soluble vitamins, such as MK-4, which has been shown in rat studies to increase T.
Good question. Could be the MK4... I asked this ray at the time, you might be able to find the answer in the email thread . I think he actually said that the iberian lard might have lower PUFA.
How do you know there's not a small amount of an androgenic fatty acid in iberian pig lard ?
That's what I was thinking.

Btw I tried german wild pig lard and it certainly had a very androgenic effect on me ,it just kinda messed with my stomach so I never used it again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals