Sustainable Foods - Zombie Apocalypse

teds

Forum Supporter
Hello brains trust-

I was listening to an interview of Paul West who was on River Cottage Australia. He was talking about autonomous food production. He referred to some ‘natural’ disasters that have occurred here in Australia (I know this is such a pathetic example compared to things that happen in other countries) - he was talking about how the supermarkets were totally empty after a day. So it got me thinking about how I access food. Personally, I shop every other day. Except for tinned oysters and other bulk things like dried fruits etc I generally just purchase as needed. I’m about to get my garden set up over the next year and I’d like to take my food access into account..

Can you tell me how you’d ‘survive’ the zombie apocalypse? And remain peaty.. hehe! Luckily, I have a back yard. It’s smallish - about 20SqM..

Root vege I can grow and they will ‘keep’ for some time- sweet potato, potatoes, pumpkin, carrots (of course)

Fruits that dry well- apricots, nectarines, bananas, mushrooms (what type/s would you grow for best benefit?)
(How do oranges go preserved? I know you can preserve lemons.. would preserved oranges still hold benefit?)

Protein- i could raise a few rabbits or some chickens.. chickens for the eggs not the meat.. what do we think of rabbit? I need to upskill to learn butchering for that but I guess I could do that..
Best chicken food? Obviously chickens could scratch around the garden and get a bit from that- food scraps- if anyone grows chickens, what do you feed them? I’m wondering what I could source to feed chickens?

Adjunctive - some leafy vege for chickens and I like a bit of spinach sometimes.
Bees - mostly for garden/world health but also for the honey I guess..

Anything else? Thoughts? Thanks!

LUH 3417

You could have a few goats for milk and cheese.i think you can preserve oranges as a marmalade with the rind for added benefit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals