Xisca from Canary

Xisca

Hello!
As I cannot part into 7 pieces :mrgreen: I am from only La Palma island!
I am 50 and have my own big organic garden.
I have lots of veggies and fruits according to the seasons: oranges, avocados, guavas, and even bananas sometimes.
I have hens and would like to produce even some meat and goat milk...

I was warned about having weak pancreas and liver when I was a child.
I was contaminated intra-utero by my mother's work in a lab (solvants, ethanol)
The family is sensitive about thyroid and "pains", no weight problem at all.

I need a gluten-free diet, and it solved many problems for me 15 years ago.
Then I saw it was not enough... thus begun my journey in the labyrinth of health food...
I have only 1 sure conclusion, ALL health diet agree to exclude processed junk food!
Then try and see...

I escaped from the beginning of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia thanks to diet and life style.
In the end I am quite healthy and they say I do not look 50!

I ended up with a quite paleo diet, not only gluten-free but carbohydrate free.
A touch of GAPS and bone broth, as I had some bloating with cereals.
I was eating a lot of bananas (no problem), fruits according to the season, but had stopped for long sugar and honey.
I honestly LOVE pure cocoa! Yes, without sugar...
You know the thing... "be careful, you are at risk with diabetis".
I was off fructose since I was not the only on to complain about tooth decay along with it.
I prefer the whole stuff and not the extract (so fruit instead of the powder).

I discovered Peat work thanks to the article about omega3 in fish.
I was wandering about buying cod liver oil... of course I will not!
Being aware of the new information about omega 6 and the ratio with omega 3, I was using olive oil, coconut oil and my own ghee (clarified butter).
No other oil, but local almonds + other seeds, especially chia and cañamo.
... and wanted more omega 3.

Reading Peat's articles,
I got many of the answers I needed to solve some important questions due to the illogic I was reading everywhere.
1) How can sugar be bad if we have such a big taste for it?
2) How can omega 3 be so crucial if they are not so widely available on earth?
3) How can we talk about being addicted as a 100 % bad thing, when addiction is the base of positive reinforcement instead of punishment?

Let me add I was trained as a behaviourist, also in somatic experiencing, and that I learned a lot also about ethology and anthropology, and also worked in a pedagogic farm. So, I am used to rely on plain good logic and body feelings.

I new something was still wrong in my diet because tendinitis was coming back, irregular energy, and more of the signs of hypothyroidia with premenopausia. Since childhood I had a very low pulse and low bodily temperature.

I did modify, very recently, I act quick when I decide...
- No more culpability with coffee, and a little unrefined sugar (I have come to like it more without sugar!)
- I buy fruits insead of waiting for the next of mine, so that I can get more sugar with fiber.
- I had slowed the nuts, but now I am wandering what I will do with the rest I have!
- I have to reorganize some planting, and will grow melons and watermelon more!
- I am going to plant some sugar cane in the garden!
- I intensify to look for a relyable source of bones (my butcher knows she has to keep all the cow tails for me!)
- I have bought a progesterone cream.
- I am going to eat my algs, as they stay too much on the shelves...

And I am here to share about all this and get some help to think about what else I can do.
Ho, and I also appreciate more about what I read in Peat's article, as I know the nervous system for example, and also his views about art, and about the manipulations of industry, and why it is not so easy to make the necessary changes.
Most people do not believe me when I talk about health and food...

artemis

:welcome Xisca!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Wonderful that you can grow so much of your own food. I'm working in that direction, too -- have hens, and a small garden.

You'll find a wealth of information here, just search for anything that interests you.

Xisca said:
I am going to eat my algs, as they stay too much on the shelves...

What are "algs?"

tara

:welcome Xisca

Great that you are in a position to grow good fruit, and even better if you can produce good milk and eggs too. :)
Some progesterone cream can be very low concentration of progesterone with a high concentration of PUFAs.
I guess you've come across Peat's reservations about too much avocado.
I was wondering about algs too. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:welcome2 Welcome Xisca! Can I come live with you? I'm just kidding but your garden does sound heavenly.

OP
Xisca

Xisca

Well, algs is an invention from the spanish algas, what is this, seaweed? full of iodine! I always forgot to cook them and they profit too much to the cupboard.

Great info for the PUFA cream, yes it goes through the skin.
And vitamine E is in soya oil so I did to buy any yet....

I eat 1 avocado per day, as a basis for a mayonaise.
This is mainly monoinsaturated.

I can add that I have no weight to loose and have been eating ghee and coco oil for long.
Just that I had stop the PUFA oil but not the seeds.
And I was stucked about sugar because I was warned very early about my tendency to have diabetis.
I was warnes at 11 by iridology, and had effectively sugar in urine at 18, even being careful with sugar.

My mother thought that sunflower seed oil and margerine were the best healthiest oils....
So I did not grow up on oilve oil!

We have a lot of raw goat products here, but goat eat corn and soy....
So what?

narouz

Xisca said:
eat 1 avocado per day, as a basis for a mayonaise.
This is mainly monoinsaturated.

I think Peat said/wrote that avocados are "practically heptatoxic"
(darn it--I used to love them too :cry: )

Is La Palma a touristy, real expensive place to live?

Hi Xisca and welcome!!!

If your main health concern is diabetes then you might want to cut back on avocado intake, I think Peat says they have too much PUFA.

My own personal experience with diabetes lead me to think it was caused by too many grains/starch and too much PUFA which accumulates in our tissues as we age. I am female also (48 years old) and certainly NO expert, so this is just my opinion :2cents

Your lifestyle sounds IDEAL!!! :cool:

OP
Xisca

Xisca

La Palma is one of the less touristic, and tourism is about walking, no good beach here!
It is not so expensive.
At the moment I keep avocados "from the garden".
Every food has some toxicity, and what I really do react to are all carbohydrates.

I have managed to stay off diabetis.
My real concern is about muscle pains, tendinitis.
I do the garden and walk and everyone thinks I am athletic, but.... (sigh....)
Also some regular loss of energy, some premenaupause signs with heat.
I have low thyroid for sure, I do not resist to cold, lost my outside eyebrows....

So, I want to boost my metabolism.

And after all those years with a fear of sugar, I am sooo happy!

You can understand that, without sugar, if I had to suppress 1st gluten, and then all starches, I had no choice but high fat high protein diet. That is why I had increased my intake of seeds like almond and sunflower etc. My best lick was to know about the importance of stable fats, so I did eat mainly coco, ghee and olive oil. And cocoa!

I already pee less, especially at night, dunno what it means...

narouz

Yeah, Xisca...La Palma looks beautiful.
I just try to picture what it would be like to really Live in a place like that,
not just be a tourist.
I guess there are some limitations/isolation living on an island like yours
which many would not want to endure.
Or maybe it is like Beverly Hills and is terrifically expensive.
I just have no idea.

Do think about those avocados.
From Peat's perspective they are extremely anti-metabolic
and will contribute powerfully to hypothyroidism (I would reckon).
(I am sorry to be the bearer of this tragic view. :lol: )

tara

Hi Xisca,
Peat has reservations about eating too much iodine. I live in an area where the soil iodine levels are low, and I haven't figured out whether i need a regular souce of iodine since I mostly stopped eating iodised salt. So I do eat a little seaweed from time to time, but I'm not assuming that more the better, for the thyroid's sake. There is an interview (with Mary Shlomo?) where he talks about this.

I have had chronically tight tendons, especially achilles for as long as I can remember. This seems to be a low thyroid symptom. After damaging my achilles tendons about 3 years ago (not for the first time), and a sacroiliac joint even longer ago, they seem to have finally healed this last year. I put it down to being more sedentary than ever, and eating well beyond maintenance amounts, paying attention to generous nutrition. Including lots of sugars, mostly fruit/juice and some milk and sucrose. I have family members with diabetes, and was scared of sugar for many years. But I am currently going on Peat's theory about it's advantages over starch (I never went low carb).

If I've understood correctly, Peat has said that the ruminants have some capacity to convert PUFAs to SFAs (though it can get overwhelmed if they get a lot of grain and soy etc), so ruminant milk is still likely to be a pretty good source of food. There's an interview on milk in the transcription subforum.

OP
Xisca

Xisca

Thanks for all those super informations all around the forum!
I am so glad I have been off starch for a long time.
I was also scared by sugar and diabetis.

Yes I am sure now I have to take thyroid, but which one to trust then?
this is obvious I am hypo. Hoooo, if this could be the end of a dark tunnel. I have tears in my eyes just with the hope....

Also I guess the problem with lactic adid.
As far as I can remember, I never stopped having pains and aches after sport. as if I could not get used to it. And I cannot put on muscles. I am tired to function on stress to overcome all this.

Just for the joke....
I am less healthy since I know Peat's!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just read too much instead of going to bed haha,
so I am tired because of Peat's diet :mrgreen:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals