narouz

Dean-
Did you use Unrefined Coconut Oil?
If so, that might be the problem.
I used it the first time I bought coconut oil,
and it messed up my stomach in a major way--
pain, cramps.
Lasted like 12-24hours.

So I tried Refined Coconut Oil--no problem.
And I have a friend who experienced exactly the same thing.

OP
D

Dean

No. I've been using refined. Another blessing of discovering Dr. Peat. In the past I could never tolerate unrefined coconut oil and all the coconut oil advocates were always saying the refined was not the same and shouldn't be used. So I didn't.

I had been consuming the same refined coconut oil with the whole carrots, cooking zucchini in it, putting it in my coffee, etc.; so I feel pretty certain that the difference in reaction between the two slivered carrot salads had nothing to do with the type of oil/fat.

BingDing

Dean, grass fed dairy is definitely out there, but it's pretty local so where you are living can make a difference. It looks and tastes a lot different from grain fed milk, more creamy colored and likely with more K2. You just have to go out and find it if it's around, farmer's markets are a good place to try. Google, of course.

I'd (almost) rather piss in a bottle of rat poison and drink it than use commercial milk.

OP
D

Dean

Hey BingDing, I guess by out there I meant more commercially available. I've been out of the country for most of the last two years and was hoping maybe it would be in a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's by now. When I looked into it a few years ago, there was a buying club to join for grass fed dairy products that were also raw, but there was a once a week pickup time with a narrow window at a distant and inconvenient location and I couldn't swing it. I'd also heard of a dairy that was selling grass-fed dairy that wasn't raw (which is fine by me) at a few farmer's markets and retail locations, I'll have to see if I can find if they are still around and where they have product now.

I know what you mean about the commercial milk, but...as was mentioned previously on this thread, I could get my calcium from eggshell supps. I'm trying to keep tryptophan down so if I don't want to eat meat that's a heck of alot of gelatin and potato juice to get up to the recommended protein intakes.