Supplemental Cellulose Ameliorates LPS Induced Intestinal Permeability

Mufasa

I'm thinking about supplementing cellulose, especially when going out to eat. Seems like a good way to protect against LPS.

Effect of dietary cellulose supplementation on gut barrier function and apoptosis in a murine model of endotoxemia

Some quotes from the study:

Previously, we have demonstrated a novel link between the diet-induced alteration of the gut microbiome with cellulose and improved outcomes in sepsis. As compared to mice receiving basal fiber (BF) diet, mice that were fed a non-fermentable high fiber (HF) diet demonstrated significant improvement in survival and decreased organ injury in both cecal-ligation and puncture (CLP) and endotoxin sepsis models.

LPS injection induced an approximately 10-fold increase in the intestinal permeability of BF diet mice as compared to control at 24h (1151 ± 196 vs. 111 ± 15 ng/ml; P = 0.005). In contrast, mice that were fed HF diet demonstrated a significant reduction in LPS-induced intestinal permeability as compared to BF fed mice (523 ± 94 vs. 1151 ± 196 ng/ml; P = 0.02) (Fig 3). Taken together, we have shown that mice on the HF diet subjected to endotoxin demonstrated a decrease in cecal permeability as compared to mice on BF diet with relative preservation of the intestinal architecture in both groups.

To understand the contribution of tight junction proteins in the amelioration of the intestinal barrier dysfunction, we next measured the protein expression of claudins and occludin by immunoblotting. As shown in Fig 4, LPS administration demonstrated a significant decrease in the protein expression of both claudin-1 and occludin in BF fed mice after LPS exposure as compared to BC mice (P ≤ 0.05). Similarly, the protein expression of claudin 1 and occludin was higher in HF diet mice when compared to BF diet mice after LPS administration (P ≤ 0.05).

We then confirmed the anti-apoptotic action of HF diet by evaluating its effect on another marker of apoptosis DNA fragmentation. Using the TUNEL assay, we noted that in comparison to BC mice, BF diet mice demonstrated a significant increase in the apoptotic cell population at 24 h after LPS administration (4.7 ± 0.56 vs. 1.4 ± 0.14%; P = 0.0033). In contrast, there was a minimal increase in the intestinal apoptotic rate in HF diet-fed mice (2.2 ± 0.15 vs. 0.7± 0.07%; P = 0.4). The number of apoptotic cells is comparable in BF and HF diet mice at 72 h post-LPS administration (Fig 5C). Taken together, these findings suggest that the use of HF diet in mice is associated with a reduction in LPS-mediated intestinal apoptosis and associated intestinal permeability as compared to mice on BF diet.

In conclusion, our findings suggest that the use of the HF diet can be a simple and effective tool that can decrease gut permeability by its effect on the tight junction proteins and decreasing LPS mediated apoptosis and increasing intestinal epithelial proliferation. Understanding the intricate relationship between the epithelial barrier, gut microbiota, and diet will open up additional therapeutic avenues for the treatment of gut dysfunction in critical illness. Future work involves mechanistic microbiota studies to transplant Akkermansia in gnotobiotic mice to quantify the modulatory role of the gut microbiome on the gut barrier function.

Vinny

I'm thinking about supplementing cellulose, especially when going out to eat. Seems like a good way to protect against LPS.

Effect of dietary cellulose supplementation on gut barrier function and apoptosis in a murine model of endotoxemia

Some quotes from the study:

Previously, we have demonstrated a novel link between the diet-induced alteration of the gut microbiome with cellulose and improved outcomes in sepsis. As compared to mice receiving basal fiber (BF) diet, mice that were fed a non-fermentable high fiber (HF) diet demonstrated significant improvement in survival and decreased organ injury in both cecal-ligation and puncture (CLP) and endotoxin sepsis models.

LPS injection induced an approximately 10-fold increase in the intestinal permeability of BF diet mice as compared to control at 24h (1151 ± 196 vs. 111 ± 15 ng/ml; P = 0.005). In contrast, mice that were fed HF diet demonstrated a significant reduction in LPS-induced intestinal permeability as compared to BF fed mice (523 ± 94 vs. 1151 ± 196 ng/ml; P = 0.02) (Fig 3). Taken together, we have shown that mice on the HF diet subjected to endotoxin demonstrated a decrease in cecal permeability as compared to mice on BF diet with relative preservation of the intestinal architecture in both groups.

To understand the contribution of tight junction proteins in the amelioration of the intestinal barrier dysfunction, we next measured the protein expression of claudins and occludin by immunoblotting. As shown in Fig 4, LPS administration demonstrated a significant decrease in the protein expression of both claudin-1 and occludin in BF fed mice after LPS exposure as compared to BC mice (P ≤ 0.05). Similarly, the protein expression of claudin 1 and occludin was higher in HF diet mice when compared to BF diet mice after LPS administration (P ≤ 0.05).

We then confirmed the anti-apoptotic action of HF diet by evaluating its effect on another marker of apoptosis DNA fragmentation. Using the TUNEL assay, we noted that in comparison to BC mice, BF diet mice demonstrated a significant increase in the apoptotic cell population at 24 h after LPS administration (4.7 ± 0.56 vs. 1.4 ± 0.14%; P = 0.0033). In contrast, there was a minimal increase in the intestinal apoptotic rate in HF diet-fed mice (2.2 ± 0.15 vs. 0.7± 0.07%; P = 0.4). The number of apoptotic cells is comparable in BF and HF diet mice at 72 h post-LPS administration (Fig 5C). Taken together, these findings suggest that the use of HF diet in mice is associated with a reduction in LPS-mediated intestinal apoptosis and associated intestinal permeability as compared to mice on BF diet.

In conclusion, our findings suggest that the use of the HF diet can be a simple and effective tool that can decrease gut permeability by its effect on the tight junction proteins and decreasing LPS mediated apoptosis and increasing intestinal epithelial proliferation. Understanding the intricate relationship between the epithelial barrier, gut microbiota, and diet will open up additional therapeutic avenues for the treatment of gut dysfunction in critical illness. Future work involves mechanistic microbiota studies to transplant Akkermansia in gnotobiotic mice to quantify the modulatory role of the gut microbiome on the gut barrier function.
Thanks. Where are you going eventually to get the celulose from?

Aaron

WHY would you take processed, refined cellulose when you can just eat various different whole plant foods and receive a much broader spectrum of benefits? Please explain your logic. I think it's been pretty well-established that (many) whole plant foods have the ability to benefit the gut and the body as a whole. You don't even need to eat them daily to have this effect.

Last edited:

CLASH

Nice study, thanks for posting. Going to add this one to my stash of references :)

OP
M

Mufasa

WHY would you take processed, refined cellulose when you can just eat various different whole plant foods and receive a much broader spectrum of benefits? Please explain your logic. I think it's been pretty well-established that (many) whole plant foods have the ability to benefit the gut and the body as a whole. You don't even need to eat them daily to have this effect.

Many of those plant food have goitrogens (kale, brocolli, sprouts etc) or anti thyroid fats (nuts, seeds) which also inhibit T, DHT, progesterone. Others are a double edge sword like grains, containing good fiber but also gluten, which can harm the intestinal barrier. Or plant food which contain a lot of soluble fiber, which can cause problems, mostly when there is existing gut dysbiosis as haidut posted.

So which plant food is left, after those considerations, is basically, what Peat recommends, carrots/bamboo/mushrooms/green leaves (spinach). Lentils maybe? This is not an extensive list of options for meals.

I would like to try the supplemental cellulose when I eat food without those fibers, as I think it will protect from LPS inflammation while eating a high calorie meal.

Dr. Peat has always advocated carrot salad and bamboo shoots as two options that have worked very well for me. And more recently very well cooked ground mushrooms.

tankasnowgod

Many of those plant food have goitrogens (kale, brocolli, sprouts etc) or anti thyroid fats (nuts, seeds) which also inhibit T, DHT, progesterone. Others are a double edge sword like grains, containing good fiber but also gluten, which can harm the intestinal barrier. Or plant food which contain a lot of soluble fiber, which can cause problems, mostly when there is existing gut dysbiosis as haidut posted.

So which plant food is left, after those considerations, is basically, what Peat recommends, carrots/bamboo/mushrooms/green leaves (spinach). Lentils maybe? This is not an extensive list of options for meals.

I would like to try the supplemental cellulose when I eat food without those fibers, as I think it will protect from LPS inflammation while eating a high calorie meal.

Peat has sometimes recommended Oat Bran as well, mainly because of the high insoluble fiber content, but did warn it can be a little more irritating than carrots or bamboo shoots. Overall, he has stressed insoluble fiber over soluble, so cellulose powder should be mostly in line with his ideas. I admit, there is something nice about having a powder you can go to for those issues.

Maybe a cellulose/Activated Charcoal mixture? Or cellulose mixed with coconut oil?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Potatoes contain a lot of cellulose. My wife still gets endotoxin symptoms if she eats potatoes, even if they are peeled, but I do relatively well on them.

OP
M

Mufasa

Potatoes contain a lot of cellulose. My wife still gets endotoxin symptoms if she eats potatoes, even if they are peeled, but I do relatively well on them.

According to this source, they are not that high in insoluble fiber:
Insoluble/Soluble ratio
Rice, brown, cooked 16.5
Lentils, cooked from dried 12.0
Wheat Bran (Arrowhead Mills) 11.5
Cashews 11.3
Mushrooms, cooked fresh 10.3
Tomato, raw 9
Almond 8.9
Blueberries 8.8
Pine nuts – pignolias 8.7
Pineapple 8.5
Raspberries 8.3
Coconut, fresh 8.15
Lettuce, iceberg 7.0
Quinoa, cooked 6.8
Persimmon 6.6
Tortilla, corn 6.0
Spinach, cooked 5.83
Dates 5.1
Cocoa powder, unsweetened 5.0
Rice, white, regular cooking, cooked 5.0
Guava 4.93
Blackberries 4.4
Pecans 4.1
Tomato paste 4.1
Bread, whole wheat 4.0
Squash, summer (green or yellow) cooked 4.0
Macadamia 3.8
Couscous, cooked 3.5
Kiwi 3.3
Banana 3.0
Spinach, raw 3.0
Cranberries 3.0
Cauliflower, cooked fresh 2.8
Strawberries 2.67
Bamboo shoots 2.6
Apple 2.4
Cherries 2.3
Nectarine 1.8
Sweet potato, cooked 1.7
Grapes 1.7
Pear 1.63
Mango 1.5
Oatmeal, dry 1.2
Carrots, raw 1.1
Papaya 1.1
Bread, white 1.0
Figs 0.9
Potato, boiled, without skin 0.8
Orange 0.7

Source: Fiber Content Of Foods | Insoluble & Soluble Food Chart

Hans

Forum Supporter
According to this source, they are not that high in insoluble fiber:
I think they contain a fair amount.
From this study:
Starchy Carbohydrates in a Healthy Diet: The Role of the Humble Potato
The DF composition of potatoes is made up of resistant starch (RS) (major component, see Section 2.1.2.1), with smaller amounts of non-starch polysaccharides such as cellulose (0.45–0.7%) [24], hemi-cellulose (0.32–0.46%), lignin (0.15–0.22%), and pectin (0.32–0.38%) of raw potato mass.

Peat also mentioned potatoes as a good source of cellulose.

OP
M

Mufasa

I think they contain a fair amount.
From this study:
Starchy Carbohydrates in a Healthy Diet: The Role of the Humble Potato
The DF composition of potatoes is made up of resistant starch (RS) (major component, see Section 2.1.2.1), with smaller amounts of non-starch polysaccharides such as cellulose (0.45–0.7%) [24], hemi-cellulose (0.32–0.46%), lignin (0.15–0.22%), and pectin (0.32–0.38%) of raw potato mass.

Peat also mentioned potatoes as a good source of cellulose.

I think the ratio is the most important. And potatoes have quite some prebiotic fiber/resistant starch, that negate the effect of cellulose.

By the way, I have been trying adding 6g of cellulose to my 3 big meals for a week. Until now very positive. More focus, gums health improved (I use to have always a bit of bleeding when flossing, now zero bleeding), I think my toenail fungus improved, I see less inflammation in my feet, less gass. Lot of other small things.

Im only now thinking about switching to cellulose derived from bamboo. It sounds safer, Im not sure about the quality of my product for long time use:

Nutriloid® Bamboo Fiber

sunny

Does anyone know what the cellulose fiber is that Dr. Peat often talks about - a bioenergetic life search brings up many references to cellulose fiber, and several mentions of wheat bran, talks about a cellulose fiber that used to be on the market. Bioenergetic Search

Candeias

Does this relate to microcrystalline cellulose, which is refined wood pulp? I've read some comments about "persorption" of this, does the body have enzymes/processes to eliminate this without causing inflammation? Silica dioxide for example causes inflammation and there is probably "persorption" of particles

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals