The Gut Microbiota Influences Blood-brain Barrier Permeability In Mice

Suikerbuik

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/6/263/263ra158

Abstract
Pivotal to brain development and function is an intact blood-brain barrier (BBB), which acts as a gatekeeper to control the passage and exchange of molecules and nutrients between the circulatory system and the brain parenchyma. The BBB also ensures homeostasis of the central nervous system (CNS). We report that germ-free mice, beginning with intrauterine life, displayed increased BBB permeability compared to pathogen-free mice with a normal gut flora. The increased BBB permeability was maintained in germ-free mice after birth and during adulthood and was associated with reduced expression of the tight junction proteins occludin and claudin-5, which are known to regulate barrier function in endothelial tissues. Exposure of germ-free adult mice to a pathogen-free gut microbiota decreased BBB permeability and up-regulated the expression of tight junction proteins. Our results suggest that gut microbiota–BBB communication is initiated during gestation and propagated throughout life.

Note that this study is in mice, so how exactly this translates to humans remains unsure. The reason I post this, is that I often read that we should strive for a sterile as possible gut. I always find this quite misleading as I think our microbes are an integral part of our evolution and their balance and not necessarily numbers is what is essential for health.

But would you need a blood-brain-barrier that tight if you were germ-free? The proof is in the pudding.

lindsay

Ray Peat often says that Germ free mice are incredibly resilient..... until they enter a world of germs - they then have worse issues. And he's said that since we live in a world of germs, it's best to learn how to live with them. I'm pretty sure I've only heard him say this in interviews.

I'm personally of the opinion that being germaphobic is unhealthy. We all have to live with these tiny organisms and some of them are beneficial. Managing the unhealthy ones then becomes the task.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals