Coffee polyphenols ameliorate cognitive decline via maintenance of blood-brain barrier (BBB) integrity in senescence-accelerated mouse prone 8 (SAMP8)

cupofcoffee

The blood-brain barrier (BBB) plays crucial roles for the maintenance of brain homeostasis. Recent findings demonstrate that BBB breakdown proceeds the onset of cognitive decline in dementia such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD). We have previously reported that coffee polyphenols (CPP) prevent cognitive dysfunction in APP/PS2 AD mouse model. However, the effects of CPP on age-related cognitive decline and BBB impairment remain unknown. In the present study, we investigated the effects of CPP diet for 8 months on age-related cognitive decline in senescence-accelerated mouse prone 8 (SAMP8) mice. Hippocampal BBB permeability was assessed by using Na-F dye. The protein expression of tight junctions (Claudin-5, Occludin) and synaptic markers (Synaptophysin, PSD-95) were measured by western blotting. BDNF concentration was examined by ELISA. The cognitive function was evaluated by novel object recognition test. Long-term ingestion of CPP significantly reduced BBB permeability and increased the Claudin-5 expression. Synaptic proteins and BDNF in hippocampus were also increased by CPP ingestion. Furthermore, significant positive correlations were observed between the expression of Claudin-5 and synaptic proteins, indicating that maintenance of BBB integrity by CPP might protects synaptic proteins. Moreover, the cognitive function was markedly improved by CPP treatment. These results suggest that long-term ingestion of CPP prevents age-related neuronal deficit and cognitive decline via maintenance of BBB integrity.

Korven

Thanks for posting.

I really think coffee is the ultimate longevity beverage. My 70 year old dad basically lives off of sandwiches and never works out, but he drinks tons and tons of coffee every day and has done so his entire life. He's barely got any wrinkles, youthful skin almost. Very sharp-witted and no signs of cognitive decline. I'm amazed at how well he's holding up considering he doesn't give a crap about health and nutrition.

OP
cupofcoffee

cupofcoffee

Thanks for posting.

I really think coffee is the ultimate longevity beverage. My 70 year old dad basically lives off of sandwiches and never works out, but he drinks tons and tons of coffee every day and has done so his entire life. He's barely got any wrinkles, youthful skin almost. Very sharp-witted and no signs of cognitive decline. I'm amazed at how well he's holding up considering he doesn't give a crap about health and nutrition.
Yeah coffee is godsend, even mainstream medicine agrees that it can be beneficial to health.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom