Sucrose And Gas

Waynish

It seems that I only get gas when I eat concentrated amounts of sucrose. Any ideas about cause? It is obviously developing in the small intestine.

kiran

Im assuming you don't shovel spoofuls of sugar, what goes with the sugar?

OP
W

Waynish

Most of my sucrose is eaten as chocolate - but it doesn't happen with chocolate within much or any sucrose.

schultz

You could do a test and eat a couple TBSP of sugar to see if you get the same reaction, though that may digest quickly and not give you the same results. How about 2 glasses of orange juice or something...

OP
W

Waynish

I'm talking about sucrose (not OJ)... Something that is supposedly "an optimal carbohydrate" whose supporters seem to admit zero faults. I'm asking about causes here - not desperate for a replacement since I've just been diminishing it with good results.

kiran

Apparently sucrase deficiency is a real thing. You might be able to increase your tolerance the same way some people increase their tolerance to lactose.

paymanz

Saliva has some sucrase too, so its important to eat or drink sucrose source food slowly and let it mix with saliva.

If its from sucroes you may have less problem with honey. Try honey to see its same or not.

DaveFoster

I'm talking about sucrose (not OJ)... Something that is supposedly "an optimal carbohydrate" whose supporters seem to admit zero faults. I'm asking about causes here - not desperate for a replacement since I've just been diminishing it with good results.
Sucrose is in OJ. You mean table sugar.

Sugar isn't an optimal carbohydrate; it's the purest carbohydrate, so it's the least likely to cause problems with confounding factors like pectin in fruit juices, phytic acid, and allergens like in maple syrup, molasses, agave, etc.

SneezeStar

Undissolved white sugar granules are known to cause gas in some people. This is why you'll see some people boiling white sugar in close to equal amounts water to dissolve it before consuming. Danny Roddy has some videos on youtube of this.

paymanz

yeah i wondering if sucrose like starch gets polymerized when it gets dry and dense!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals