Constipation worsened by insoluble fiber - solutions?

Lord Cola

For me, Ray Peat's recommended foods with insoluble fiber like carrot salad and white button mushrooms cause a blockage near the sigmoid colon, preventing complete defecation, causing the area to balloon with gas. However, not eating enough of these foods eventually lead to headaches and bad mood. I suspect the main problem is a cycle of preexisting colon inflammation reducing colonic muscle strength, causing constipation, which in turn causes gas buildup, worsening inflammation. Eating lots of gelatin helps, I guess by lowering serotonin, and maybe with its jelling effect, but I feel eating lots of gelatin doesn't address the underlying problem of chronic inflammation. My thyroid seems okay. I would appreciate your advice on how I might make insoluble fiber eliminate thoroughly.

Ben.

Hans made a great article here.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Eating "normally" (foods that im used to for the majority of my life) and b-complex (hans mentions niacin or nicotinamide speficially) helped me.

Maybe reduce the carrots/bamboo shoots to half of what you are using now. Add 1-2 Glasses of water/any fluid on the day you are consuming these. That can make a big difference too.

Perhaps give different prebiotics a try. Gorillahead mentioned gut improvements by using niacin, pektin and fucoidan.
Solomon mentioned improvements with cascara sagrada.
It was posted in the thread Ulcerative Colitis - Support During The Remission

Just trowhing ideas out here. Hope it can help you.

Lord Cola

Hans made a great article here.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Eating "normally" (foods that im used to for the majority of my life) and b-complex (hans mentions niacin or nicotinamide speficially) helped me.

Maybe reduce the carrots/bamboo shoots to half of what you are using now. Add 1-2 Glasses of water/any fluid on the day you are consuming these. That can make a big difference too.

Perhaps give different prebiotics a try. Gorillahead mentioned gut improvements by using niacin, pektin and fucoidan.
Solomon mentioned improvements with cascara sagrada.
It was posted in the thread Ulcerative Colitis - Support During The Remission

Just trowhing ideas out here. Hope it can help you.
This is helpful. Thank you.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Coffee enema vs normal enema for constipation Ask For Help or Advice 20
Hans Top 6 Anti-Constipation Foods (#1 is a must eat) Articles & Scientific Studies 30
J Castor oil for constipation Digestion 7
Hgreen56 a tip for constipation or slow transit time Digestion 27
P Strange heart beats after using laxitives for constipation Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 0
S Constipation after working out Ask For Help or Advice 4
metabolizm Coffee & Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 8
P Constipation Issues When Introducing Sugar In Diet Digestion 6
noqcks Progesterone Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 2
ecstatichamster Fixing Chronic Constipation Thread Digestion, Gut Flora 39
S Glutamine Powder Good For Constipation? Supplements 11
D Possible Constipation Male Issues 18
J How To Reduce The Constipation Effect From Calcium Supplements Calcium 5
Vileplume Introducing Milk: Diarrhea > Constipation? Digestion 8
L How Do You Treat And Prevent Constipation? Digestion 21
S Panax Ginseng Side Effect - Constipation Vitamins 7
L Anyone Else Get Constipation From Well Cooked Mushrooms And Bamboo Shoots? Digestion 2
V Digestión Issues. Activated Charcoal Despite Constipation? Digestion 11
berk If Calcium Is The Cause Of Constipation, How To Solve This Diet 8
A Constipation, Liquid Stools. At The Same Time Ask For Help or Advice 2
J Calcium And Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 17
A I Have Both Constipation And Diarrhea Ask For Help or Advice 2
G Best Supplement For Constipation In Your Experience? Digestion 48
A How To Cure Constipation? Ask For Help or Advice 44
charlie Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog Digestion, Gut Flora 177
charlie SIBO, Gut Motility, Constipation. What Is Really Going On? I Will Tell You Digestion, Gut Flora 82
G Thyroid Becoming Instantly Sluggish After Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 5
RePeatRePeat More Info On Taurine And Constipation, Please Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 56
J Taurine Constipation Taurine 12
K New To Ray Peat Diet. I Have A Lot Of Constipation Last Couple Days Ask For Help or Advice 12
G Need Help For Chronic Constipation And Digestion Problems Ask For Help or Advice 48
Zpol Anti-cortisol/estrogen/serotonin That DOESN'T Worsen Constipation? Supplements 23
encerent Is A Saltwater Flush Safe For Constipation? Digestion 9
ddjd Cascara Sagrada Causing Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 3
Amazoniac Effects Of Regular Walking On Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Digestion, Gut Flora 37
Zpol MitoLipin For Idiopathic Constipation? Digestion 47
Zpol Stopping Or Reducing Dietary Fiber Intake Reduces Constipation And Its Associated Symptoms Diet 21
B Supplement Binders & Fillers That Cause Constipation (dicalcium Phosphate?) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
A Constipation And Aspirin Digestion 8
Q Only Caffeine Gets Rid Of My Chronic Constipation, The Question Is WHY! Digestion 58
A Constipation Solved Digestion, Gut Flora 13
mayweatherking Stopping The Vicious Circle Of High Fungus. Constipation, Antifungals And Probiotics mayweatherking 116
Amazoniac Semi-confirmed: Low Dietary Calcium Intake As An Overlooked Factor In Constipation Digestion, Gut Flora 8
Albina Is Prune Juice Ok For Constipation Diet 1
mayweatherking Need Help Desperate: Need To Force Bowel Movement. Serious Constipation mayweatherking 269
F Stopping Or Reducing Dietary Fiber Intake Reduces Constipation And Its Associated Symptoms Scientific Studies 21
Parsifal Why Does Constipation Occur In A Hypothyroid State If Serotonin Is What Creates Gut Mobility? Ray Peat Topics 20
A High Dose Of Caffeine-sluggish, Constipation, Weakness, Exhaustion Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 38
A Why does cyproheptadine NOT cause constipation? Cyproheptadine 3
C Is There A Way To Avoid Constipation When Eating Cheese? Working Through Milk Issues 10