Constipation worsened by insoluble fiber - solutions?

L

Lord Cola

For me, Ray Peat's recommended foods with insoluble fiber like carrot salad and white button mushrooms cause a blockage near the sigmoid colon, preventing complete defecation, causing the area to balloon with gas. However, not eating enough of these foods eventually lead to headaches and bad mood. I suspect the main problem is a cycle of preexisting colon inflammation reducing colonic muscle strength, causing constipation, which in turn causes gas buildup, worsening inflammation. Eating lots of gelatin helps, I guess by lowering serotonin, and maybe with its jelling effect, but I feel eating lots of gelatin doesn't address the underlying problem of chronic inflammation. My thyroid seems okay. I would appreciate your advice on how I might make insoluble fiber eliminate thoroughly.

Ben.

Hans made a great article here.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Eating "normally" (foods that im used to for the majority of my life) and b-complex (hans mentions niacin or nicotinamide speficially) helped me.

Maybe reduce the carrots/bamboo shoots to half of what you are using now. Add 1-2 Glasses of water/any fluid on the day you are consuming these. That can make a big difference too.

Perhaps give different prebiotics a try. Gorillahead mentioned gut improvements by using niacin, pektin and fucoidan.
Solomon mentioned improvements with cascara sagrada.
It was posted in the thread Ulcerative Colitis - Support During The Remission

Just trowhing ideas out here. Hope it can help you.

OP
L

Lord Cola

Hans made a great article here.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Eating "normally" (foods that im used to for the majority of my life) and b-complex (hans mentions niacin or nicotinamide speficially) helped me.

Maybe reduce the carrots/bamboo shoots to half of what you are using now. Add 1-2 Glasses of water/any fluid on the day you are consuming these. That can make a big difference too.

Perhaps give different prebiotics a try. Gorillahead mentioned gut improvements by using niacin, pektin and fucoidan.
Solomon mentioned improvements with cascara sagrada.
It was posted in the thread Ulcerative Colitis - Support During The Remission

Just trowhing ideas out here. Hope it can help you.
This is helpful. Thank you.