SLEEP

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“All fruits (cherries, grapes, blueberries and raspberries) except strawberries are good for breakfast, but they should not be eaten in the evening, except for grapes.”

Jennifer

I don’t have any of those issues, ever, but I still feel full right now from eating cantaloupe last night. It is good I am figuring this out, because I am growing A LOT of fruit.

“Having fruits along with other meal can slow down the digestion process, which means the fruits sit for longer time in the stomach that can also lead to its fermentation. Fruits are rich in fibre which anyway get digested slowly and having them with meal slows the process even more.”

Oh, okay. You ate the cantaloupe whole. I thought you juiced your fruit. Your experience makes sense. And yes, it’s a good thing you’re figuring it out, given all the fruit you’re growing. I was bummed about the fruit allergy at first because I have hundreds of fruit seeds saved for a future greenhouse orchard, but I figure I can still grow fruit for friends and family, the food pantry/homeless, and the farm animals I hope to have one day.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh, okay. You ate the cantaloupe whole. I thought you juiced your fruit. Your experience makes sense. And yes, it’s a good thing you’re figuring it out, given all the fruit you’re growing.
I do usually remove the pulp and fiber from my fruit, but occasionally I will have whole fruit with something or on something like mango with Mexican food, salsa, strawberries on cheesecake, blueberries on ice cream or on oatmeal, and last night cantaloupe with some mozzarella and a boiled egg. I am just trying new things and see how they land. I know food timing and pairing can make a big difference in energy, digestion, weight, mood and sleep, so I am experimenting.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I was bummed about the fruit allergy at first because I have hundreds of fruit seeds saved for a future greenhouse orchard, but I figure I can still grow fruit for friends and family, the food pantry/homeless, and the farm animals I hope to have one day.
You and I are so similar @Jennifer. I am growing FAR more fruit than I need too, to share.

Jennifer

I do usually remove the pulp and fiber from my fruit, but occasionally I will have whole fruit with something or on something like mango with Mexican food, salsa, strawberries on cheesecake, blueberries on ice cream or on oatmeal, and last night cantaloupe with some mozzarella and a boiled egg. I am just trying new things and see how they land. I know food timing and pairing can make a big difference in energy, digestion, weight, mood and sleep, so I am experimenting.

Gotcha.

You and I are so similar @Jennifer. I am growing FAR more fruit than I need too, to share.

That’s wonderful! Yes, you’re my sister from another mister. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I finally got seven solid hours of deep sleep last night, and it felt so good! Yesterday I still experimented with the fruit, but not it’s fiber. I had two oranges juiced and strained after my lunch, I fresh pressed an apple and a pear, and had it after my light supper, a caprice salad without the fresh tomato, and about an hour before bedtime I had a half cup of pineapple juice mixed with a half cup of water, a little sugar and a pinch of salt. I had my usual raw honey at bedtime too. I think the fiber in the fruit, eating it in the evening, was not helpful, and neither was a lot of juice, liquid, in the evening. I will still enjoy my watermelon, mango and other favorite fruits in it’s whole form, but earlier in the day instead of at night. Waking up this morning after such a deep sleep, felt SO good and lying there I could feel the difference and said to myself, how is any nighttime food hindrances worth this moment, feeling rested, relaxed and refreshed, instead of frustrated and tired. Looking back, I am sure a lot of the insomnia in my twenties was my diet.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“For example, the body tends to hold calcium and either store it or recycle it again and again. Magnesium, however, is either used up or excreted and must be replenished on a daily basis. So, even though the daily need for calcium is greater, we are much more likely to become deficient in magnesium.

• insomnia
  • muscle tension or spasms
  • muscle cramps
  • constipation
  • headaches
  • heart palpitations
  • PMS
  • calcification of tissues or joints
  • nervousness or irritability”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“Histamine Intolerance and Insomnia​

Histamine, the chemical that we think of with allergies, is a neurotransmitter. It promotes wakefulness like dopamine, serotonin, glutamate, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine. This is why anti-histamine medications like Benadryl, are often used at night to promote drowsiness. Sleepless nights from poison ivy and allergy season occur because of histamine reaction creating itchy skin welts and impenetrable nasal congestion. The high levels of histamine also affect the nervous system rendering a fitful night’s sleep.

Histamine is broken down by compounds that support methylation. Lack of adequate methylation can cause histamine levels to be chronically elevated. Some individuals struggle with the DAO (diamine oxidase) enzyme not working properly. This causes histamine to build up in the system. This can manifest as poor sleep, trouble with seasonal affective disorders, some types of depression, and feeling “ramped up” or overstimulated. Other symptoms may include asthma, digestive symptoms, headaches, eczema, hives, psoriasis, sinus congestion, menstrual difficulties, and intolerance to alcohol.

Pepperoni pizza and beer and poor sleep the night afterwards is often chalked up to indigestion associated with these foods. Certainly that is one aspect, but the tossing and turning may be a result of high histamine levels from these foods. Gluten, beer, and cured, smoked meats are histamine-rich foods. Other foods high in histamine include fermented foods, kombucha, pickles, wine, yogurt, mature cheeses, cured, smoked, and fermented meats, fermented soy, tomatoes, spinach, and canned fish products.

In addition to removing or reducing high histamine containing foods from the diet, there are several nutritional compounds that help suppress or quench high histamine.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Frequent awakenings during the night can be a sign of extreme magnesium deficiency. Remember magnesium will help lower cortisol, if you do not have adequate levels of magnesium your body cannot relax and remove excess cortisol.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some people get that impression, because some physicians recommend combining estrogen with either testosterone or progesterone, to protect against some of estrogen's side effects, but progesterone is the body's natural complement to estrogen. Used alone, progesterone often makes it unnecessary to use estrogen for hot flashes or insomnia, or other symptoms of menopause.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When the environment is too stressful, or when nutrition isn't adequate, the organism may be unable to mobilize the opposing and complementary substances to stop their actions. In those situations, it can be therapeutic to use some of the nutrients as supplements. Calcium carbonate (eggshell or oyster shell, for example) and vitamins D and K, can sometimes produce quick antistress effects, alleviating insomnia, hypertension, edema, inflammations and allergies, etc., but the regular use of milk and cheese can prevent many chronic stress-related diseases.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Rheumatoid arthritis and asthma are two inflammatory conditions that are notoriously worse during the night. Melatonin has been reported to be higher in patients with severe asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, and to promote the secretion of a variety of other pro-inflammatory substances.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I ate orange peel dark chocolate the other night and slept extra well. Ray Peat did say to have your calcium foods in the day and magnesium foods at night, so I am going to experiment with this a little more….

“One of the more recently discovered functions of magnesium is its effect on cellular timekeeping and regulation of circadian rhythm. Studies that back up this theory have shown that inadequately low levels of serum magnesium are associated with low quality sleep and insomnia.”

Honeycomb

I ate orange peel dark chocolate the other night and slept extra well. Ray Peat did say to have your calcium foods in the day and magnesium foods at night, so I am going to experiment with this a little more….

“One of the more recently discovered functions of magnesium is its effect on cellular timekeeping and regulation of circadian rhythm. Studies that back up this theory have shown that inadequately low levels of serum magnesium are associated with low quality sleep and insomnia.”
That sounds delicious! And even more so if it gave you some really good sleep. How did you make it? I am particularly interested in the chocolate you use. Since reading more about cadmium in dark chocolate I have stopped eating it. But I do miss it - I used to eat a couple of squares at night. The last two days, I have made some oatbran for breakfast to keep myself warm and each time I added a tbsp of raw cacao powder into it. Very nice! It has made me think about chocolate again ... :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
He did? I’ve heard him recommend milk before bed to help with sleep.
I drink a half cup of milk in the night sometimes to get back to sleep, but I he said the bulk of the calcium, aka protein, is better used during time day, I assume for the same reason he says to eat proteins during the day, for energy. I sleep much better having ice cream than milk, which aligns with him saying fats and carbs are better for sleep, and we all know magnesium promotes better sleep too. I will have to remember to post back here when I come back upon things he said related to this.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“However, calcium should not be taken in the afternoon or evening because calcium is easily deposited and has the ability to accumulate, forming calcium oxalate easily increases the risk of causing other diseases such as kidney stones, urinary stones. , constipation and typically trouble sleeping and tossing in children .
Calcium should be taken in the morning (about 1 hour after breakfast) or in the afternoon with plenty of water, giving us the opportunity to be exposed to more sunlight (the skin synthesizes vitamin D for the body). ), which helps to absorb calcium more efficiently. In addition, when supplementing with calcium, we need the movement of the body so that the amount of calcium taken in has time to transfer to the target bone.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Taking calcium at night does not affect your sleep but can reduce the effectiveness of another supplement, magnesium, which promotes relaxation and is often recommended to be taken at night. It is a good idea to take magnesium before bed because it can help you sleep. Because calcium and magnesium compete for absorption, they should not be consumed at the same time. Another reason that it is not good to take calcium at night is because vitamin D should be combined with complete meals. Vitamin D enhances the absorption of calcium and therefore these two should be taken at about the same time.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals