Sleep Temperature; Why Is It So Hugely Important?

Ever since starting the Steve Richfield temperature reset protocol, I've become aware of yet another factor that influences my day extremely, and that is the importance of night time or sleeping temperature.

If I don't take extra care to dress super warm throughout the night, I usually wake up with a temperature around 35.8°, and this is a disaster. What I noticed when I sleep like this is:

• extreme brain fog throughout the day, feel very 'stupid', difficult to come to basic conclusions
  • common things seem difficult, daunting, no confidence even when doing things I know I know (this is really dangerous when driving for example as I get super confused by basic traffic situations)
  • virtually no libido or sexual desire of any kind on those days
  • thyroid hormones and most supplements seem to NOT work at all
  • feeling generally insecure, anxious, lacking motivation and confidence
If I can wake up at least with a temperature of 36.2, or 36.3, it is the exact opposite:
  • Mental clarity feels almost normal
  • Feel very self confident, think I know things even if I don't, and think I would have no trouble learning them quickly
  • Fast and to the point mental function
  • Libido actually exists and getting urges several times a day
  • Get a really good boost of energy from small amounts of T3 throughout the day, and even converting T4 seems to work far better
  • Laughing at stupid funny things, far more playful, talkative

Taking thyroid hormones doesn't make up for this effect - I can't sleep cold and take T4 or T3 to 'compensate' - it absolutely does not work. If I sleep warm I feel good enough even without hormones but I get a really nice boost from them. If I sleep cold they almost DO NOT work at all.

It seems that some things, namely I believe to be neurosteroids, or the level of production of certain hormones, is crucially dependent on a few points difference in night time sleeping temperature. Waking up with anything below 36.0° is generally a disaster day. Any explanations here?

Prosper

Are you sure that being cold at night is the root cause instead of just another symptom of something else being wrong? I personally love to sleep in cold, there's nothing worse than getting sweaty in the bed alone.

OP
MyUsernameHere
Are you sure that being cold at night is the root cause instead of just another symptom of something else being wrong? I personally love to sleep in cold, there's nothing worse than getting sweaty in the bed alone.

I feel pretty consistently awful every time I sleep with inadequate clothing. Even when I put two shirts and two pants on at bed time I don't wake up during the night feeling hot or sweaty and then the next day I usually feel pretty good.

I've tested this over several months now. It happens every time - sleep with light clothing = bad, with heavy clothing = great.

Xisca

Ever since starting the Steve Richfield temperature reset protocol
You did it all exactly as said?
Thanks to you I have been reading about it, and did very little, just took temp and put on clothes, and my temps are good now, but too much, as I have 37º5 right now, with cold barefeet on the floor, and 22ºc in the room. Then I have hot flashes!

tankasnowgod

It happens every time - sleep with light clothing = bad, with heavy clothing = great.

Thought on another possible mechanism..... could the heavier clothing be keeping more carbon dioxide close to your body? Maybe you're re-absorbing more when you sleep.

Prosper

Thought on another possible mechanism..... could the heavier clothing be keeping more carbon dioxide close to your body? Maybe you're re-absorbing more when you sleep.
I think some early adopters have already started sleeping with their heads inside plastic bags.

OP
MyUsernameHere
You did it all exactly as said?
Thanks to you I have been reading about it, and did very little, just took temp and put on clothes, and my temps are good now, but too much, as I have 37º5 right now, with cold barefeet on the floor, and 22ºc in the room. Then I have hot flashes!

Yes I did the whole thing per the protocol, there's a large thread I made about it in the experimental section. 37° would be optimal during the day. Shed some clothing.

It's all possible, though I have no way to measure that. Waking temperature is the thing that correlates best with how I feel during the day.

It can also mean that higher sleeping temperature means that more carbon dioxide (and a whole lot of other beneficial things) are kept inside the body during sleep, leading to better, more restorative sleep, more hormone production, etc.

Xisca

Yes I did the whole thing per the protocol, there's a large thread I made about it in the experimental section. 37° would be optimal during the day. Shed some clothing.
I had little clothing and hands and feet cold...
I went for a walk and 37º7 now, so I am going to take a shower as I have been sweating. I feel great, and just it can explain my hot flashes, my body has turned too hot and I dunno how it happened! And I sleep 6 hours per night and no crash, incredible.

I sleep with head warm, lama wool from The Andes!

tara

It seems that some things, namely I believe to be neurosteroids, or the level of production of certain hormones, is crucially dependent on a few points difference in night time sleeping temperature. Waking up with anything below 36.0° is generally a disaster day. Any explanations here?
I'm speculating, but lots of processes function optimally in the normal temp range and suboptimally outside that range. I imagine that could apply to the restorative effects of sleep in the neurons in the brain, as well as other tissues in the body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals