Seborrheic Dermatitis Thread

faisman

Hi, I've been dealing with seb derm for a while now and its much better now although not fully resolved. I've seen some scattered info about this throughout the forum but feel like it would be great to have a thread where everyone who resolved their seb derm or is in the process of doing so can contribute! :D

For me, topical coconut oil applied every couple of days seems to clear it completely but it will always come back once the applications stop.

I have tried to supplement vitamin A and started with 5000iu daily going up to 40,000iu at some point but it didnt seem to have much of an effect. At The same time I have also been supplementing E, D, K and Zinc. Currently considering experimenting with higher doses of zinc since I am only taking 45mg.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been dealing with seb derm for a while now and its much better now although not fully resolved. I've seen some scattered info about this throughout the forum but feel like it would be great to have a thread where everyone who resolved their seb derm or is in the process of doing so can contribute! :D

For me, topical coconut oil applied every couple of days seems to clear it completely but it will always come back once the applications stop.

I have tried to supplement vitamin A and started with 5000iu daily going up to 40,000iu at some point but it didnt seem to have much of an effect. At The same time I have also been supplementing E, D, K and Zinc. Currently considering experimenting with higher doses of zinc since I am only taking 45mg.

Topically applied niacinamide solution seems to clear up things up nicely for me. It even rids me of dandruff when applied to the scalp.

PhilParma

Have you tried the fat solubles topically? Vitamin D applied to trouble areas has kept my seb derm at by for a couple months now.

OP
F

faisman

Have you tried the fat solubles topically? Vitamin D applied to trouble areas has kept my seb derm at by for a couple months now.

I actually tried mixing some vitamin D and E into coconut oil before applying but didn't notice much of a differnence as opposed to the plain coconut oil.

Birdie

I just mixed some selenium shampoo (head & shoulders) with a lot of water, several dissolved aspirins and some herbal shampoo.
I'd been using the same shampoo mixed with water and all was okay until about a month ago. That's when a flare-up began.

After shampooing, my scalp feels relieved. A new feeling.
I've also tried lanolin, coconut oil and other things I can't remember right now.

This problem is usually worse in winter, but this time it got worse with spring.
I've been reading the forum and other places for several weeks getting ideas.

brix

I have had no flakes or itching since starting the medicated selsun blue.

Birdie

I have had no flakes or itching since starting the medicated selsun blue.
I think the one I've ordered also has selenium in it like Selsun Blue. It was something else in Selsun Blue that didn't work for me. I didn't try the stronger one though.

Head & shoulders has selenium in it too. Yes, it relieves the itch!

Birdie

Tonight, I plan to put my hair up so that I can use my shampoo mixture on just the lower part of my scalp.

Birdie

Topically applied niacinamide solution seems to clear up things up nicely for me. It even rids me of dandruff when applied to the scalp.
I should add some of that to my formula. Thanks.

Lynne

My SD (scalp, eyebrows) went away on a very low PUFA diet and only came back if I ate something with a lot of pufa eg nuts, chicken skin, etc. I'm pretty strict about PUFA now and haven't had SD in a long time.

Runenight201

Aside from the usual dietary manipulations which must be experimented with, I like to use Nizoral as a useful shampoo for instantly relieving dandruff. Granted, my dandruff isn't severe and only becomes noticeable when I eat inappropriately, but in those cases Nizoral helps relieve the assault on my scalp. I also like it because studies show it aids hair regrowth, and so for those with shedding issues, it can double aid with that. Ketacanazole is the medication used in Nizoral, and I especially love how it makes my hair look after its use. I don't follow its use with conditioner.

I'll probably use indefinitely, in once a week application or more frequently should my scalp become itchy or my hair is unmanageably sebaceous.

Lecarpetron

Just wanted to note that 5 days of amoxicillin (500 mg 3x/day) got rid of my SD completely. I'll consider it a Christmas miracle if it doesn't come back, hoping for the best.

brix

Just wanted to note that 5 days of amoxicillin (500 mg 3x/day) got rid of my SD completely. I'll consider it a Christmas miracle if it doesn't come back, hoping for the best.

Did you take it solely for SD?

yerrag

I've become more and more leery of topical solutions for chronic skin issues. It's fine if it's acute, like a wound. As we know the cause is superficial. But chronic skin issues are systemic issues.

Since the antibiotic has systemic effects, I have more faith in its efficacy. I hope the SD will be gone for good. But if the source of the bacteria is not dealt with, it may keep coming back.

Not that I have successfully gotten rid of my SD.

A month ago, I resolved a latent periodontal infection. That was a source of anaerobic bacterial infection and a source of endotoxins. Still, I have SD.

Now, I'm looking at my kidney filtration. My urine is clear and doesn't have sediments. It's a sign that my kidney doesn't filter well. So I'm on my third day on an all fruit diet. It doesn't help that I also have hypertension, which is due to kidney issues. My eGFR, as based on my creatinine levels, is rather low, so it makes the job of filtering toxins from my blood more difficult.

My guess is that whatever leftover toxins there are, after the ineffective filtering by my kidneys, is being off-loaded through the skin. What I can't understand is why it's being off- loaded through my scalp, as the rest of my skin is fine- no rashes, pimples, nor carbuncles.

Hope I could see improved signs that indicate my kidneys are filtering well, and that it will lead to no more SD.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My SD is pretty much gone after getting my kidneys filtering. I get a very small spot here and there but it is nothing compared to what I had. Over Christmas a family member even commented on how it was gone now and how good I looked. Get those kidneys filtering and get those acids moving out and they(acids) will stop burning through your skin looking for an exit.

Lecarpetron

Did you take it solely for SD?

Actually no, it was for a respiratory tract infection that had been hanging around for a month. I didn't expect any impacts on my scalp but was pleasantly surprised when it stopped snowing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals