Seborrheic Dermatitis after Nystatin

Borz

Forum Supporter
After doing a course of Nystatin (prescribed by my G.I. doctor) for a suspected fungal overgrowth in the intestines after multiple rounds of antibiotics for SIBO, I got seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and behind ears. I mean right after the Nystatin treatment. It's been months and I still have it. nothing else was different in my diet or supplement regimen. I've never had seborrheic dermatitis before. It's really puzzling. I haven't followed up with my doctor yet so I don't have his input. Any advice is appreciated.

chompie

After doing a course of Nystatin (prescribed by my G.I. doctor) for a suspected fungal overgrowth in the intestines after multiple rounds of antibiotics for SIBO, I got seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and behind ears. I mean right after the Nystatin treatment. It's been months and I still have it. nothing else was different in my diet or supplement regimen. I've never had seborrheic dermatitis before. It's really puzzling. I haven't followed up with my doctor yet so I don't have his input. Any advice is appreciated.
I think getting in as many probiotic foods that you digest well could help a lot. Nancy's probiotic yogurt is a good one. Seeking health also sells a histamine x probiotic powder without any fillers.

yerrag

You've been seeing quack doctors that don't understand microbes well enough and you'll keep seeing them and be spinning wheels and spending bad money after bad money for nothing but worse outcomes.

It's the same system that blames everything on a virus and makes vaccines that worsen the condition of the patients who keep going back for more vaccines.

If you believe COVID and everything surrounding it is a hoax, you should start transitioning yourself from the germ theory into the pleomorphic and terrain theory. I've started a thread on pleomorphism and it has some resources. You would have to take some time to get familiar with the terms used so it becomes second nature to you. And once you're there, you can join the Telegram channels of Barre Lando (Alfa Vedic) and of Tom Cowan and Andy Kaufmann, and of Amandha Vollmer. But you can just jump into them as many have done, hoping to learn something by osmosis. But I wouldn't recommend it. As you need to deep dive a little bit into something or you'll be unable to put together many pieces of the puzzle to form a coherent understanding of how things work and how they don't and how you would go about approaching something broken in you. You will hear many conflicting advice and you'll be able to make up your own mind which to follow. As I don't think it's easy to find a doctor that would understand you as well as yourself. If you find a good doctor, he will just be that - good, but not perfect, as all doctors are in a never-ending journey towards becoming perfect, but never reaching there.

EvanHinkle

Have you tried blocking TLR4? Activated charcoal works best for me.

I cured my dermatitis by taking two tablespoons of activated charcoal in 8oz of water 3 times a day for 2 weeks. After that time I moved to once daily at night before bed.

I had dermatitis for about ten years. I have not had any dermatitis outbreaks for about a year now thanks to charcoal. I no longer need to take it daily, and only take it on occasion.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I hope you find relief, dermatitis is painful and embarrassing, (at least it was for me).

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
I think getting in as many probiotic foods that you digest well could help a lot. Nancy's probiotic yogurt is a good one. Seeking health also sells a histamine x probiotic powder without any fillers.
I have been experimenting with a few probiotic supplements, Megasporebiotics, RestorFlora, and Seed. I even did an enema with Seed. I eat greek yogurt regularly. Probiotics haven't made a difference. Thanks

You've been seeing quack doctors that don't understand microbes well enough and you'll keep seeing them and be spinning wheels and spending bad money after bad money for nothing but worse outcomes.

It's the same system that blames everything on a virus and makes vaccines that worsen the condition of the patients who keep going back for more vaccines.

If you believe COVID and everything surrounding it is a hoax, you should start transitioning yourself from the germ theory into the pleomorphic and terrain theory. I've started a thread on pleomorphism and it has some resources. You would have to take some time to get familiar with the terms used so it becomes second nature to you. And once you're there, you can join the Telegram channels of Barre Lando (Alfa Vedic) and of Tom Cowan and Andy Kaufmann, and of Amandha Vollmer. But you can just jump into them as many have done, hoping to learn something by osmosis. But I wouldn't recommend it. As you need to deep dive a little bit into something or you'll be unable to put together many pieces of the puzzle to form a coherent understanding of how things work and how they don't and how you would go about approaching something broken in you. You will hear many conflicting advice and you'll be able to make up your own mind which to follow. As I don't think it's easy to find a doctor that would understand you as well as yourself. If you find a good doctor, he will just be that - good, but not perfect, as all doctors are in a never-ending journey towards becoming perfect, but never reaching there.
Yes I know the doctor doesn't understand things that well. I've been to him so I can get prescription for Rifaximin etc. and do a SIBO breath test. And he gave me the Nystatin after I told him I'm suspecting fungal issues. I will look into those you wrote about. Thanks

I cured my dermatitis by taking two tablespoons of activated charcoal in 8oz of water 3 times a day for 2 weeks. After that time I moved to once daily at night before bed.

I had dermatitis for about ten years. I have not had any dermatitis outbreaks for about a year now thanks to charcoal. I no longer need to take it daily, and only take it on occasion.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I hope you find relief, dermatitis is painful and embarrassing, (at least it was for me).

I have been taking charcoal but nothing like you did, like 2 tsp couple times a week. Today I started your protocol (but 1 tbsp 3 times a day), and I feel like this will make a difference, I will report back after 2 weeks. That's a lot of charcoal, did you come up with this amount or is this someone else's protocol? And for how long did you take it daily at night after that 2 week period? It's great that you got rid of it, it is very annoying and embarrassing for sure.

EvanHinkle

I have been experimenting with a few probiotic supplements, Megasporebiotics, RestorFlora, and Seed. I even did an enema with Seed. I eat greek yogurt regularly. Probiotics haven't made a difference. Thanks

Yes I know the doctor doesn't understand things that well. I've been to him so I can get prescription for Rifaximin etc. and do a SIBO breath test. And he gave me the Nystatin after I told him I'm suspecting fungal issues. I will look into those you wrote about. Thanks

I have been taking charcoal but nothing like you did, like 2 tsp couple times a week. Today I started your protocol (but 1 tbsp 3 times a day), and I feel like this will make a difference, I will report back after 2 weeks. That's a lot of charcoal, did you come up with this amount or is this someone else's protocol? And for how long did you take it daily at night after that 2 week period? It's great that you got rid of it, it is very annoying and embarrassing for sure.
I came up with the protocol myself after weighing the pros and cons of charcoal allegedly blocking some nutrient absorption. My thinking was that if I had endotoxin issues then my nutrient absorption probably stunk anyway. I came from a block fasting background, so I knew taking the charcoal would be better for me metabolically than fasting, (which incidentally cured my dermatitis for about a year and a half). Georgi has some info about fasting actually crushing endotoxin, and it’s that effect that produces positive outcomes from fasting.

So, figuring 6 tablespoons of charcoal blocking endotoxin was better than fasting, and charcoal was better than dermatitis, I jumped in.

After the two week period of “mega dosing” I probably took the once nightly dose for another two weeks. Now I try to use carrot salad, camphor, and other “Peaty” stuff to eliminate the bacteria that should be causing the endotoxin in the first place. If though I notice that my skin starts getting itchy, (which is a maybe three day “warning” that dermatitis is coming) then I’ll do a once nightly dose and it usually calms things down after that one dose.

It’s gone, I cured my dermatitis, and more than one person on the forum has said this worked for them too. I think all autoimmune disease is just endotoxin symptoms, makes a ton of sense really based on studies, literature, and my own personal experience.

L_C

I came up with the protocol myself after weighing the pros and cons of charcoal allegedly blocking some nutrient absorption. My thinking was that if I had endotoxin issues then my nutrient absorption probably stunk anyway. I came from a block fasting background, so I knew taking the charcoal would be better for me metabolically than fasting, (which incidentally cured my dermatitis for about a year and a half). Georgi has some info about fasting actually crushing endotoxin, and it’s that effect that produces positive outcomes from fasting.

So, figuring 6 tablespoons of charcoal blocking endotoxin was better than fasting, and charcoal was better than dermatitis, I jumped in.

After the two week period of “mega dosing” I probably took the once nightly dose for another two weeks. Now I try to use carrot salad, camphor, and other “Peaty” stuff to eliminate the bacteria that should be causing the endotoxin in the first place. If though I notice that my skin starts getting itchy, (which is a maybe three day “warning” that dermatitis is coming) then I’ll do a once nightly dose and it usually calms things down after that one dose.

It’s gone, I cured my dermatitis, and more than one person on the forum has said this worked for them too. I think all autoimmune disease is just endotoxin symptoms, makes a ton of sense really based on studies, literature, and my own personal experience.
Didn't you end up with mineral/vitamin deficiencies while on your charcoal protocol?

EvanHinkle

Didn't you end up with mineral/vitamin deficiencies while on your charcoal protocol?
Not that I’m aware of. Two weeks doesn’t seem like enough time when you eat “Peaty” to develop severe deficiencies. Also, the data suggesting that charcoal depletes vitamins/minerals is claimed by some to be suspect. I don’t know what to believe, but in the spirit of experimentation, I tried something and it “cured” an ailment I suffered with for many years. I’ll take it!

Like I said, the bacteria and it’s endotoxin producing the dermatitis, had to have had as much or more of an effect on my vitamin/mineral status over that ten years then a little charcoal over two weeks. Just a calculated risk using my own judgement that I felt comfortable with. Everything in context obviously, and this is not medical advice in any way shape or form.

rebuke

Not that I’m aware of. Two weeks doesn’t seem like enough time when you eat “Peaty” to develop severe deficiencies. Also, the data suggesting that charcoal depletes vitamins/minerals is claimed by some to be suspect. I don’t know what to believe, but in the spirit of experimentation, I tried something and it “cured” an ailment I suffered with for many years. I’ll take it!

Like I said, the bacteria and it’s endotoxin producing the dermatitis, had to have had as much or more of an effect on my vitamin/mineral status over that ten years then a little charcoal over two weeks. Just a calculated risk using my own judgement that I felt comfortable with. Everything in context obviously, and this is not medical advice in any way shape or form.
Did you use the fine powder or the larger grains? I've tried incorporating AC but the larger grains make it very unpleasant to down.

EvanHinkle

Did you use the fine powder or the larger grains? I've tried incorporating AC but the larger grains make it very unpleasant to down.
I’ve used both, didn’t notice a difference in efficacy. I know Peat cautions against powder for reasons of persorbtion, but I used that frequently because it was easier to locate.

Kray

Hi Evan! What a great story, so happy you overcame your dermatitis,

I would like to try AC and would like to get your advice on dosing. I want to approach carefully since I don't have prior experience per se with AC. I do have some on hand, dosage is 2 caps twice a day, each dose 560mg. Does that seem reasonable for starters- roughly 1g/day? Is it necessary to take 3-4 hours away from food for best results? How long would you suggest taking it? I know all the warnings which is why I probably never considered trying it before, but after reading your posts, I am very encouraged to try it.

I have had dermatitis about 10 years as well, tried so many other things, nothing ever has cleared it completely. Believe me, I know what you've gone through. As a woman, it's been very challenging socially when my flare-ups are bad.

I so appreciate your offer to help and answer my questions!

Kray

btw- found this post on another thread (post #16). What are your thoughts? I had never heard this before.

Activated Charcoal makes me feel 'cured'​

I would love to take charcoal regularly but Peat as well as others have talked about the potential danger of charcoal persorbption and the risk of small charcoal particles getting stuck in capillaries, etc, and possibly leading to cancer. I don't know what to think about this but since I'm pretty conservative, I only use it when absolutely necessary. Hopefully someone can tell me I'm wrong so I can take it more often. Even a few times a week as Peat suggests would be great.

EvanHinkle

Hi Evan! What a great story, so happy you overcame your dermatitis,

I would like to try AC and would like to get your advice on dosing. I want to approach carefully since I don't have prior experience per se with AC. I do have some on hand, dosage is 2 caps twice a day, each dose 560mg. Does that seem reasonable for starters- roughly 1g/day? Is it necessary to take 3-4 hours away from food for best results? How long would you suggest taking it? I know all the warnings which is why I probably never considered trying it before, but after reading your posts, I am very encouraged to try it.

I have had dermatitis about 10 years as well, tried so many other things, nothing ever has cleared it completely. Believe me, I know what you've gone through. As a woman, it's been very challenging socially when my flare-ups are bad.

I so appreciate your offer to help and answer my questions!
Happy to answer questions about charcoal, (something that has been a real game changer for me)!

Me personally, I took about two tablespoons three times a day for about a week and a half to two weeks. I know that’s a ton of charcoal, but that’s what I personally did to “cure” my dermatitis. I wouldn’t “recommend” anyone do that, it’s just what I did. After that initial period I used it for another week or so (two tablespoons, once a day at the end of the day before bed). After that I only ever used it intermittently if I felt I needed it, (typically two tablespoons, sometimes less, and not usually more that once a month or once every few months).

While charcoal can block this TLR4, (or so this is thought to be the mechanism of action) it doesn’t necessarily take care of the underlying problem: why do you have all this endotoxin in the first place/why is it leaking into your bloodstream?

After lots of experimentation I’ve concluded that I had fatty liver, insufficient bile flow, and leaky gut. Bile is supposed to bind endotoxin in the gut and move it out in the stools. When it doesn’t, improperly digested food can cause leaky gut and or endotoxin. The leaky gut allows the endotoxin to enter the bloodstream causing, (in my opinion, for me, dermatitis).

There are tons of ways to correct fatty liver, (I used vitamin K personally) leaky gut, and bile flow. Charcoal is great, but the dermatitis, (at least for me) was a symptom, not a root cause.

Regarding persorbtion, Peat recommends a larger grain of charcoal, (most brands are sold in powder form). You can get granules as well that help against persorbtion. I think charcoal house sells a larger grain size if I remember correctly.

If charcoal does the trick for you, you’re gonna be so relieved the dermatitis nightmare is over, but if you determine it’s endotoxin related you might wanna dig a bit deeper. Just food for thought.

Best of luck, and update the thread if you decided to use charcoal, and how it worked for you?

miquelangeles

Happy to answer questions about charcoal, (something that has been a real game changer for me)!

Me personally, I took about two tablespoons three times a day for about a week and a half to two weeks. I know that’s a ton of charcoal, but that’s what I personally did to “cure” my dermatitis. I wouldn’t “recommend” anyone do that, it’s just what I did. After that initial period I used it for another week or so (two tablespoons, once a day at the end of the day before bed). After that I only ever used it intermittently if I felt I needed it, (typically two tablespoons, sometimes less, and not usually more that once a month or once every few months).

While charcoal can block this TLR4, (or so this is thought to be the mechanism of action) it doesn’t necessarily take care of the underlying problem: why do you have all this endotoxin in the first place/why is it leaking into your bloodstream?

After lots of experimentation I’ve concluded that I had fatty liver, insufficient bile flow, and leaky gut. Bile is supposed to bind endotoxin in the gut and move it out in the stools. When it doesn’t, improperly digested food can cause leaky gut and or endotoxin. The leaky gut allows the endotoxin to enter the bloodstream causing, (in my opinion, for me, dermatitis).

There are tons of ways to correct fatty liver, (I used vitamin K personally) leaky gut, and bile flow. Charcoal is great, but the dermatitis, (at least for me) was a symptom, not a root cause.

Regarding persorbtion, Peat recommends a larger grain of charcoal, (most brands are sold in powder form). You can get granules as well that help against persorbtion. I think charcoal house sells a larger grain size if I remember correctly.

If charcoal does the trick for you, you’re gonna be so relieved the dermatitis nightmare is over, but if you determine it’s endotoxin related you might wanna dig a bit deeper. Just food for thought.

Best of luck, and update the thread if you decided to use charcoal, and how it worked for you?
Exactly. Some doctors are treating psoriasis with bile acids. Dehydrocholic acid is available OTC or as a supplement.

I found senna, cascara and rhamnus bark equally effective. Too much charcoal can slow down transit and disrupt the microbiome, but it does work very well.

golder

How much vitamin k did you use to help cure your fatty liver? Great post btw.

EvanHinkle

Exactly. Some doctors are treating psoriasis with bile acids. Dehydrocholic acid is available OTC or as a supplement.

I found senna, cascara and rhamnus bark equally effective. Too much charcoal can slow down transit and disrupt the microbiome, but it does work very well.
Cool study. I had some success for a while taking Mercola’s gallbladder enzymes, (they had ox bile and ATP in addition to digestive enzymes). At that time I had very little awareness regarding my metabolism though, and probably stopped taking them for “reasons” haha.

SamYo123

It clears up with the increased number of bowl movements?

What are the signs a leaky gut is fixed?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals