Folic Acid cures my Seborrheic dermatitis completely

Impact

I had terrible seb derm for years and taking 5mg of folic acid each day cures my Seborrheic dermatitis completely. I just have to make sure I don't throw off my b12 levels from taking the folic acid. Anyone have any ideas why FA works for me? My levels are normal.

Also anything with copper gives me Seborrheic dermatitis when not taking folic acid. I'm not sure why.

GorillaHead

I had terrible seb derm for years and taking 5mg of folic acid each day cures my Seborrheic dermatitis completely. I just have to make sure I don't throw off my b12 levels from taking the folic acid. Anyone have any ideas why FA works for me? My levels are normal.

Also anything with copper gives me Seborrheic dermatitis when not taking folic acid. I'm not sure why.
How confident are u of this.

Gypsumking

Very interesting. I have been thinking a lot about folic acid lately. Its not talked about much in Ray peat circles but I think many people may have a functional deficiency even if their levels are within range, especially if they are or have supplemented b1 thiamine or other Bs.
I wonder is the regular folic acid supplement is a good one to try or one of the fancier folate forms?

mattmm24

I just posted a thread about how I started folinic acid bc I do horrible on folic acid supplements as an undermethylator. Interesting though that you said you did bad on copper without folic acid. I’ve had the same experience. Likely that we are both already copper toxic

Logan-

Drugs that interfere with folic acid metabolism (e.g. mtx) often result in severe cases of hair loss and seborrheic dermatitis.

To counter some of the effects, patients who take mtx are advised to take 5-10 milligrams of folic acid the day after they take their weekly mtx dose.

How much folic acid do you take? AFAIK, serum folic acid is a reliable marker if one wants to know if he/she is suffering from a deficiency.

mattmm24

Drugs that interfere with folic acid metabolism (e.g. mtx) often result in severe cases of hair loss and seborrheic dermatitis.

To counter some of the effects, patients who take mtx are advised to take 5-10 milligrams of folic acid the day after they take their weekly mtx dose.

How much folic acid do you take? AFAIK, serum folic acid is a reliable marker if one wants to know if he/she is suffering from a deficiency.

I'm a overmethylator. So folic acid would better suit me than folinic?
Either one in that case. Undermethylators just have to avoid folate. We can only take folinic acid and the active form of B9. How do you know you are an overmethylator? I actually think it is quite rare.