Raw Honey for Seborrheic Dermatitis, initial tests promising

Some background, I've suffered from Seb for a long time, I was prescribed ketoconazole shampoo and hydrocortisone cream to fight it, the former of which worked and latter of which didn't. Not only has peating increased it as it seems to for many others, I stopped using the shampoo since ketoconazole is apparently estrogenic?

Elsewhere in the forum, I came across this study.

The study had very impressive results, so I wasted no time in trying it myself. It was a sunday evening, so my initial honeying lasted only about an hour, and I didn't put any honey in my facial hair or eyebrows. Almost instantly the itching ceased, though come the next morning I saw no improvement in flaking. Tuesday I had the full three hours, and yesterday the flaking has reduced. I have applied the honey today, and will continue to update this thread with the results from this honeying, as well as subsequent treatments.

I have very long hair, so getting the honey to cover my scalp has been logistical problem that I have been unable to solve effectively, but even with this issue I am getting results. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. The study used 90% honey to 10% water, but I have found the honey still very difficult to work with. I have found that wetting my hands when I encounter difficulty makes it a bit more workable, making it almost slimy. In addition the study uses crude honey, whereas the honey I'm using, while allegedly still "raw", appears to have been filtered. It's possible that crude honey may be even more effective. To early to tell much, but I would suggest anyone suffering from SD and hasn't tried this, to give it a shot for a week.

Gânico

Nice, I have long hair as well so i'm kinda concerned about it's quality/cleanliness, I've found raw honey and lemon juice very good natural ways for improving and cleaning the hair/scalp as topical solutions.

For Internal solutions (which usually target the root of the problem), I noticed that eating generous amounts of white sugar + nutrition from raw liver twice a week/raw milk was very effective, eating some extra salt helped as well.

EvanHinkle

Have you tried TLR4 antagonists? I ended a ten year battle with dermatitis using activated charcoal. 2 tablespoons 3 times a day in 8oz of water. After 2 weeks I moved to 2 tablespoons once a day before bed. After two more weeks it was gone and hasn’t returned. I think dermatitis is a symptom of endotoxin. Several people on the forum have tried a version of this protocol with success. Feel free to search my posts. Best of luck!

Also, honey makes sense too, it’s an antibiotic so it should eliminate the bacteria causing the endotoxin. Charcoal simply removes the symptoms of the dermatitis while you attack the underlying bacteria with carrot salad or antibiotics or what have you.

OP
Peat Bogdanoff
Have you tried TLR4 antagonists? I ended a ten year battle with dermatitis using activated charcoal. 2 tablespoons 3 times a day in 8oz of water. After 2 weeks I moved to 2 tablespoons once a day before bed. After two more weeks it was gone and hasn’t returned. I think dermatitis is a symptom of endotoxin. Several people on the forum have tried a version of this protocol with success. Feel free to search my posts. Best of luck!

Also, honey makes sense too, it’s an antibiotic so it should eliminate the bacteria causing the endotoxin. Charcoal simply removes the symptoms of the dermatitis while you attack the underlying bacteria with carrot salad or antibiotics or what have you.
Was the charcoal ingested or topical?

I imagine the antiinflammatory effects of honey are also a factor in why it would work.

SamYo123

"it’s an antibiotic so it should eliminate the bacteria causing the endotoxin."

does it get removed, if you are constipated and dont have a bowl movement?

EvanHinkle

Was the charcoal ingested or topical?

I imagine the antiinflammatory effects of honey are also a factor in why it would work.
I ingested the charcoal. Yeah, honey is a pretty special substance, antibiotic, anti inflammatory, and a fantastic carbohydrate source.

EvanHinkle

"it’s an antibiotic so it should eliminate the bacteria causing the endotoxin."

does it get removed, if you are constipated and dont have a bowl movement?
That was exactly my issue, and why ultimately I decided to use charcoal to deal with endotoxin.

From my understanding, endotoxin can be generated one of three ways, starving the offending bacteria, feeding the offending bacteria, or killing the offending bacteria. If you’re constipated and use an antibiotic substance my understanding would be that you would generate endotoxin from the decaying “bodies” of the bacteria you’ve killed. I think this is where the carrot salad comes in; to sweep the intestines of the dead bacteria.

I found charcoal valuable because it was able to eliminate dermatitis, (a symptom of endotoxin) whether I was constipated or not. The relief of clear skin after ten years of painful and embarrassing facial dermatitis was worth whatever short term effects such a dose of charcoal could theoretically cause for me, in my opinion.

NikT

I wouldnt use any sugars (liquid sugars may be worse) in very hairy areas like head, armpit, pubic. It can cause Trichobacteriosis by feeding bacteria. I guess make sure the honey is very antibacterial

SamYo123

I wouldnt use any sugars (liquid sugars may be worse) in very hairy areas like head, armpit, pubic. It can cause Trichobacteriosis by feeding bacteria. I guess make sure the honey is very antibacterial
Yes i find that Orange juice is the cause of dermititus in my beard and redness on my cheek area..... OJ is meant to be anti endotoxin

OP
Peat Bogdanoff
How do you make sure the honey is antibacterial? I thought honey was always antibacterial, unless it's fake honey.

I looked it up, it looks like that only affects armpit hair and less often pubic hair, and I've never seen a yellow film like that.

OP
Peat Bogdanoff
Okay, I have a system that kind of works. I would say it's about as effective as ketoconazole, just way less convenient, and according to what is said about ketoconazole, less estrogenic. If for some reason I don't feel like putting aside three hours on my treatment day, it causes a severe relapse (at least aesthetically, it doesn't itch as much as it used to) which is annoying. I suppose I'll keep doing this indefinitely, I have concerns about using other antifungals such as ACV and/or Baking Soda-apparently they harm the hair when used regularly.

I looked into manuka honey, I know people here rave about it and it's supposed to be particularly effective medicinally, but holy ***t it is expensive, the one they have at the co-op is only 5+ and is 25 bucks for a tiny bottle, is it really that much more anti-inflammatory?

I think I've figured out that seb, at least in my case, it is an autoimmune reaction to Malassezia, so in theory it makes sense why fixing the gut would be a permanent solution if this reaction is caused by endotoxin. You can't actually get rid of Malassezia just kill enough of it off to calm the reaction down so antifungals, possibly topicals in general will always be a temporary solution.

SamYo123

Okay, I have a system that kind of works. I would say it's about as effective as ketoconazole, just way less convenient, and according to what is said about ketoconazole, less estrogenic. If for some reason I don't feel like putting aside three hours on my treatment day, it causes a severe relapse (at least aesthetically, it doesn't itch as much as it used to) which is annoying. I suppose I'll keep doing this indefinitely, I have concerns about using other antifungals such as ACV and/or Baking Soda-apparently they harm the hair when used regularly.

I looked into manuka honey, I know people here rave about it and it's supposed to be particularly effective medicinally, but holy ***t it is expensive, the one they have at the co-op is only 5+ and is 25 bucks for a tiny bottle, is it really that much more anti-inflammatory?

I think I've figured out that seb, at least in my case, it is an autoimmune reaction to Malassezia, so in theory it makes sense why fixing the gut would be a permanent solution if this reaction is caused by endotoxin. You can't actually get rid of Malassezia just kill enough of it off to calm the reaction down so antifungals, possibly topicals in general will always be a temporary solution.
Malassezia yeast feeds on fats.

OP
Peat Bogdanoff
Malassezia yeast feeds on fats.
I mean, I am kind of fat and don't have a particularly low fat diet, but what is even your point? Get to zero bodyfat so I can not have this fungus that is on 90% of mammals, then die from organ failure? Everything I've read says that eliminating Malassezia is impossible, as soon as you stop antifungals it will recolonize. Most people just don't have an autoimmune reaction to it, so this colonization is not a problem. It seems to me it's my body's reaction to the fungus that is the root of the problem, not the existence of it.

If fat makes it more active it would explain why dermatitis seems to be worse in peatarian circles than with lowfat though it does not explain why the autoimmune reaction that causes it to begin with seems to be so common here. Is it because of the also common use of antibiotics? I haven't done anything more than the carrot+coconut oil as far as clearing the gut yet, but I'm aware bacterial death causes their LPS to be released (Iirc someone shared that concern of antibiotic use in this thread). Could this be a reason for the prevalence of SD here?

In addition to ketoconazole my dermatologist prescribed hydrocortisone. I know enough that adding MORE cortisol to your body is retarded and will cause more chronic issues, it seemed to work, but I stopped it as soon as I realized that that's what hydrocortisone is. I guess I'm wondering why it seemed to work, superficially. My family keeps telling me how well it worked and that I'm the retard for not using it.

OP
Peat Bogdanoff
Ugh. Okay I know what I just said but this is a huge pain in the ****, it's starting to really piss me off. There HAS to be an antifungal shampoo that isn't full of toxic substances. This treatment "works" but I can't stand having my hair in a sticky mess with honey dripping down my back for three hours every other day.

redsun

Ugh. Okay I know what I just said but this is a huge pain in the ****, it's starting to really piss me off. There HAS to be an antifungal shampoo that isn't full of toxic substances. This treatment "works" but I can't stand having my hair in a sticky mess with honey dripping down my back for three hours every other day.
Someone was able to cure their seborrheic dermatitis using folate:

@Impact

Impact

Someone was able to cure their seborrheic dermatitis using folate:

@Impact

Yep.. cured it completely.. not sure why. Taking Copper or B12 when not taking folic acid causes it to come back a bit. I had it very bad for years before the folic acid.

vetiver

Yep.. cured it completely.. not sure why. Taking Copper or B12 when not taking folic acid causes it to come back a bit. I had it very bad for years before the folic acid.
Interesting. How is it now?