Scientific Study On PUFA Absorption? How Do We Know How Much Is Taken In After Digestion?

I_am

We don't absorb 100% of what we intake as I understand, so would this apply to PUFA? how can we measure the impact of PUFA taken in? How do we know that we don't eliminate a good portion especially if the food item has a high fiber ratio?

Are there articles I could read from Ray on this? Can someone link it to me?

Agent207

There's no evidence of that feared pufa accumulation unless you eat lots of it and barely play any sport/exercise. Yes, maybe there's a tiny accumulation in some specific tissues, but I would say it will be negligible.

Pufa is one of the preferred fatty acids for the body to burn when he needs to. Eating a moderated pufa diet, I don't see how it will be accumulated that much on a physically active or athletic person.

OP
I_am

I_am

There's no evidence of that feared pufa accumulation unless you eat lots of it and barely play any sport/exercise. Yes, maybe there's a tiny accumulation in some specific tissues, but I would say it will be negligible.

Pufa is one of the preferred fatty acids for the body to burn when he needs to. Eating a moderated pufa diet, I don't see how it will be accumulated that much on a physically active or athletic person.

I see, yea that makes sense. Thank you

Luann

Yes anyone with information, please add to this. Good topic

tyw

Then why is visceral fat (highly saturated) the first to get burned?

Because lipolysis in adipose tissue is not primarily dependent on saturation of contained fatty acids.

There must first exist pressure to mobilise fat stores, then there must be good blood flow to those fat stores, then there must be receptors that are responsive to metabolic demand, then there must be metabolic activity in those fat stores, and then after all of that, would more unsaturated fatty acids be mobilised first.

ie: Unsaturation of fatty acids has an effect on relative ease of mobilisation, but only after all prior steps for mobilisation have been met.

Also, visceral fat should be very low in normal weight individuals, and these stores always have good blood flow, and are much more metabolically active compared to other stores. Simply put, Visceral fat is very easy to mobilise by default.

See review here -- https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2011/490650/

It has been thoroughly confirmed that the adipocytes of visceral fat tissue are more lipolytically active than subcutaneous adipocytes and thus contribute more to the plasma free fatty acid levels [62, 66]. This was found in particular in diabetic obese individuals, where it was linked to a significant upregulation of leptin and downregulation of adiponectin gene expression in mesenteric VAT compared to SAT and omental VAT [67].​

SIDENOTE: the subject of beta vs alpha adrenoceptors was the topic of Lyle McDonald's book 'The Stubborn Fat Solution'. Almost nobody needs to be concerned with this, since this really only occurs at the levels of leanness coveted by the aesthetics chasers out there. However, it does show that mobilising fatty acids from fat cells is a highly regulated business. A simple review -- Why is Stubborn Fat Stubborn? : Bodyrecomposition

well this isn't Ray's belief at all, it could hardly be more opposite. I think it's ridiculous. Of course, some people will live a pleasant and happy life with lots of PUFAs but I think it's a really bad idea to follow your advice here.

Constatine

Maybe someone should email peat about pufa and reduced risk in athletic people (also being a preferred fatty acid). I'm quite certain we all know what his answer will be but he does always seem to back is evidence up quite nicely so it should be an interesting discussion for educational purposes.

Agent207

well this isn't Ray's belief at all, it could hardly be more opposite. I think it's ridiculous. Of course, some people will live a pleasant and happy life with lots of PUFAs but I think it's a really bad idea to follow your advice here.

What advice?

paymanz

Even without accumulation of pufa most of ray's ideas on them still may be valid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals