Saunas and germs

bookshelf

Reader's Digest version:

Do you think steam rooms and traditional saunas become germ incubating aerosol boxes that spread colds and flus or are they germ killing machines that wipe out anything harmful regardless of the mechanism and your personal health status?

Back story:

I recently gained access to a steam room and traditional sauna at a club; sadly, no infrared, though. In the past, I've enjoyed spending a few minutes in them, infrequently and in moderation, as I find it soothing and refreshing to be in that type of heat for short periods, but I haven't done so in a long time as I have some concerns.

I’ve seen conflicting studies (imagine that) on both aforementioned forms when it comes to proliferating germs (not to mention remarks w/r/t drawing out - in a negative way - estrogens and PUFAs). Some caution it can be a place to pick up a fungus or bacterial infection if you're not careful about things such as skin exposure (always use foot coverings and sit on a clean towel, they say) yet others reassure that this time honored tradition in the dry or steamy heat either kills off any antagonists; that both forms of therapy are historically and generally regarded as safe and more likely to ward off illness than introduce them.

Has anyone here come across any information as to whether or not it's wise to use this tool during cold/flu season and when not sick (but possibly making oneself ill as a result)? I do think both can be efficacious for a number of health issues, realizing, of course, that they are not the top choices when it comes to that type of therapy and, there are things to have in place (as was outlined in one video and several separate threads on this forum) to make the most of the experience.

I'm not one to linger in this type of environment regardless of the time of year...it just sometimes feels good to get all warm and toasty and I find it relaxing. I just don't want to give myself more to content with than I have to as it seems people that are sick gravitate toward these tools.

What say you?

I have been concerned about the same thing when I made my post about it a few months back. My concern is that jacuzzis and pools are not maintained so people in them are not as protected as they think from whatever is coming out of somebody else's swim bottoms, hence why some pools and jacuzzis have a chlorine smell and others don't. Saunas definetly would not be safe with nobody cleaning after where people sat and then hot moist steam turning that are into a peri dish. I never thought of saunas being a spreader until you posted this.

"Public pools have signs that say nobody with D or who has had D within the last 14 days should use the pool. You do shed spores for a while after you are cured. I don't know if the chlorine level used in pools and hot tubs is high enough to kill C diff spores, but I doubt that it is."

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

I have been concerned about the same thing when I made my post about it a few months back. My concern is that jacuzzis and pools are not maintained so people in them are not as protected as they think from whatever is coming out of somebody else's swim bottoms, hence why some pools and jacuzzis have a chlorine smell and others don't. Saunas definetly would not be safe with nobody cleaning after where people sat and then hot moist steam turning that are into a peri dish. I never thought of saunas being a spreader until you posted this.

"Public pools have signs that say nobody with D or who has had D within the last 14 days should use the pool. You do shed spores for a while after you are cured. I don't know if the chlorine level used in pools and hot tubs is high enough to kill C diff spores, but I doubt that it is."

It certainly is a real concern on all fronts!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals