Having A Gut Free Of Germs Makes You Healthier And Leaner

haidut

Forum Supporter
I know Ray has said he tries to keep his gut as germ-free as possible due to the beneficial effects on metabolism of having a clean gut. So, the overall conclusions of this study did not really come as a surprise to me. What is surprising to an extent, is that running endurance was highest in the mice infected with a specific bacterial strain that the scientists wanted to test. It could be confirmation bias that those mice did "best" in terms of endurance, but there is no denying that the germ-free mice were healthiest by several measures such as liver weight and fat deposits. Another reason for the increased endurance may be that it is usually a marker for the level of fatty acids oxidation, which is not healthy by Peat standards and if the mice infected with the "beneficial" bacteria had the highest endurance then it may not be such a good thing after all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25144131

"...We investigated the association of intestinal bacteria and exercise performance in specific pathogen-free (SPF), germ-free (GF), and Bacteroides fragilis (BF) gnotobiotic mice. Endurance swimming time was longer for SPF and BF than GF mice, and the weight of liver, muscle, brown adipose, and epididymal fat pads was higher for SPF and BF than GF mice. The serum levels of glutathione peroxidase (GPx) and catalase were greater in SPF than GF mice. Serum superoxide dismutase activity was lower in BF than SPF and GF mice. In addition, hepatic GPx level was higher in SPF than GF and BF mice. Gut microbial status could be crucial for exercise performance and its potential action linked with the antioxidant enzyme system in athletes."

The study is also being covered by this blog:
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/08 ... robes.html

Re: Having a gut free of germs makes you healthier and leane

I don't quite understand the <<As any SuppVersity veteran would expect>> part.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Such_Saturation said:
I don't quite understand the <<As any SuppVersity veteran would expect>> part.

That blog has covered many studies in the past related to the but micribiota and how more sterile guts like the ones found in infants and younger animals are associated with lower BMI and better health. But the blog still leans in the direction of "lactic acid bacteria = more lactic acid = good", since for some strange reason they believe lactic acid is the key to bigger muscles. Maybe if lactic acid triggers cell division like estrogen, it could be viewed as "good" from the point of view of bodybuilders...
I ignore their musings, and just focus on the studies they find instead.

Suikerbuik

Nice in theory but in practice we can't be sterile. Keeping your metabolism high, so your peristalsis is high is one of the very best things you can do. Even carrot's have shown to be a substrate for some species (increased hydrogen formation - a fermenting product).
At least the lactid acid bacteria are gram positive which means no lipopolysaccharide. I think there's a huge difference in fermenting bacteria. For example some produce L-lactid acid other D-lactid acid, the latter really puts a strain in the body and is NOT wanted in any case. The L-lactid acid may have positive effects on gut environment (suppressing pathogens, since we can't be sterile this is really worth a lot).

Suikerbuik said:
Nice in theory but in practice we can't be sterile. Keeping your metabolism high, so your peristalsis is high is one of the very best things you can do. Even carrot's have shown to be a substrate for some species (increased hydrogen formation - a fermenting product).
At least the lactid acid bacteria are gram positive which means no lipopolysaccharide. I think there's a huge difference in fermenting bacteria. For example some produce L-lactid acid other D-lactid acid, the latter really puts a strain in the body and is NOT wanted in any case. The L-lactid acid may have positive effects on gut environment (suppressing pathogens, since we can't be sterile this is really worth a lot).

I remember either carrots or coconut oil or both actually allowed more Gram-negative growth (I think Gram-positive die more easily).

TreasureVibe

I remember either carrots or coconut oil or both actually allowed more Gram-negative growth (I think Gram-positive die more easily).
So.. Coconut oil and carrot are therefore not beneficial for the gut?