Some of My Best Friends Are Germs

Peata

This might need moved, but...

Article: "Some of My Best Friends Are Germs" by Michael Pollan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

I found it interesting and wondered how the Peat perspective falls in with this?

I have some thoughts on the info as it pertains to my own experience, but will have to come back to it later.

Also I have a question and I'll post it elsewhere too, but since it kinda pertains to the article above.... I'm finishing up a course of antibiotics tomorrow (prescribed to ward off possible infection from a dermatological surgery last Tues.) and am pondering what to do to help replenish my gut? I am just this morning starting to feel the effect of yeast overpopulation (ladies will know what I'm talking about). I may have a bottle of probiotics around, or should I eat some pickled things, or even roll around in the dirt a bit?

Peata

I just had this moment of reminiscence about how as a kid (I grew up on farm) I was out playing or working in the dirt *all the time*, handling animals, etc. There was no such thing as antibacterial gel that I know of, at least we didn't use it, just soap and water before eating. About half the time it was plain soap like Ivory, but we did have antibacterial soap around, which my father bought to use as "deodorant soap" I think, but we also used as hand soap if it was there.

Maybe I'm getting a little off topic here, but to be honest, I wouldn't be as germ obsessed as I sometimes am these days, but I have had this fear of flesh-eating bacteria ever since the stories broke back in the mid 90s and that you hear about today now and then. If it wasn't for that, I'd do a lot less hand-washing and stop using rubbing alcohol, gels, etc.

Gabriel

I certainly agree with the message of that articles. Certain bacteria are without a doubt beneficial. Killing these bacteria may cause harm because bad bacteria may take their place.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Best zinc supplement and recommended dose Minerals 6
J Best way to deal with hypoglycemia due to low cortisol? Blood Sugar 1
D Best supplements for senior citizens ? From ideal labs Ask For Help or Advice 1
J The best possible toothpaste Oral Health 11
F Best timing for thyroid medication? Ask For Help or Advice 8
J I think i've found the best dental filling product Oral Health 8
Nfinkelstein What supplement best for estrogen clearance Ask For Help or Advice 17
J Best type of filling to get for a cavity/decay 2021 Oral Health 7
L Best alternative after removing root canal with second space beside it Oral Health 3
T Adrenal fatigue: Best methods to increase cortisol naturally Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 18
P best e ink display? low emf and easy on the eyes. Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 14
J Found the best non toxic mattresses in the UK Insomnia, Sleep Issues 1
G Best Supp Co that ships to Europe? Vitamins 6
P Best Form Of Zinc For Oral Coating As A Mitigator For Colds/Viruses? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
TheBeard Best proxy for measuring endotoxin load? Blood Work, Labs 29
E Healthy Game of Good, Better, and Best Ask For Help or Advice 9
S Best/Safest jewellery material? Ask For Help or Advice 0
GelatinGoblin Which fish is best to eat in-terms of PUFA, Mercury? And maybe pollution, nuclear waste... Seafood 4
J Best Dental Regime Oral Health 8
T Red Light Mini - Red Light Man - What Is Best Dosage To Treat Hair Loss/thinning? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 0
username What Is The Best Way To Take Armour? Natural Dessicated Thyroid 1
A What Are Your Best Tips Or Ideas For Work? Ask For Help or Advice 8
DANIEL The Best Oral Magnesium Supplement Magnesium 10
J Health Natura Whole E V Thorne Ultimate E And Best Supplement Supplier In General E 12
J Best Ways To Heal The Digestive System Digestion 24
S Best Non Dairy And Non Supplement Ways To Get Calcium? Digestion 18
MaxVerstappen Best Way To Add Honey Or Syrup In Milk Sugar, Honey 9
johnwester130 Best Topical Antifungal? Hair & Nails 54
Hans The Best Pre-workout Carb Sources Articles & Scientific Studies 47
P Best Diet For Chemo Cancer 5
ImprovingDaily What Is The Best Form Of Oral Magnesium That You've Taken? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 27
M Best CoViD19 Vaccine Conspiracy Yet / Nanorobots / 5G Ask For Help or Advice 0
V Best Diet For A Good Blood Circulation? Diet 7
S Best Laundry Detergent Body Care 0
cyclops Best To Take Alongside DHT/Andractim? Supplements 48
G Best Books To Learn Of Each Field Book Recommendations 7
J Best Magnesium Glycinate Product 2020 September Magnesium 5
L Best Form Of Protein Powder? Metabolism 12
vulture Best Solvent For Topical DHEA In Genitals Thyroid and Hormones 13
J The Best Form Of Magnesium 2020 September Magnesium 25
Tristan Loscha Effect Of Calcifediol (VIT D) Treatment And Best Available Therapy Versus Other On ICU + Survival D 1
F Best Premium Multivitamin? Ask For Help or Advice 2
E Brilliant Short Speech At The London Freedom Protest. Trafalgar Square, David Icke At His Best Society 7
J The Best Form Of Thiamine (B1) Supplement B1 21
J Best Oyster Brand Seafood 7
C Best Protocol To Treat Undermethylation? Ask For Help or Advice 14
soul_rebel Best Drug/Alcohol From Peat Perspective Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 21
C Best Place To Live In USA Altitude, Weather 34
F Best Supplement For Dealing With Performance Anxiety? Mental Issues 33
J The Best Vitamin E Supplement 2020 E 26