Protein Lower Blood Sugars?

Ganne

I have been doing an experiment over the last few days to see how certain foods impact my blood sugar. I have Hashimoto's along with low blood sugar. Today I had ground turkey and half a sweet potato for breakfast and my blood sugar stayed in the low 100s. Mid morning I got busy and ate a quick bite of ground turkey, alone. I went back to work and and in a few minutes I felt off, just odd...depressed and vision was not clear. I took my blood sugar before the snack and it was 98 and a few short minutes after eating it had dropped to 83 and then I ate a few bites of an avacado....not much change at 85 . I still didnt feel well so had a few cassava chips and within 10 minutes felt better. I took my reading again and it was 110. I have learned I feel better with readings close to 100. Anything in the 60s, 70s, and low 80s, and I am not at my best. I plan to repeat this to see if it happens again. I just wondered if anyone else has a problem with blood sugar falling fast after ingesting a protien alone.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have been doing an experiment over the last few days to see how certain foods impact my blood sugar. I have Hashimoto's along with low blood sugar. Today I had ground turkey and half a sweet potato for breakfast and my blood sugar stayed in the low 100s. Mid morning I got busy and ate a quick bite of ground turkey, alone. I went back to work and and in a few minutes I felt off, just odd...depressed and vision was not clear. I took my blood sugar before the snack and it was 98 and a few short minutes after eating it had dropped to 83 and then I ate a few bites of an avacado....not much change at 85 . I still didnt feel well so had a few cassava chips and within 10 minutes felt better. I took my reading again and it was 110. I have learned I feel better with readings close to 100. Anything in the 60s, 70s, and low 80s, and I am not at my best. I plan to repeat this to see if it happens again. I just wondered if anyone else has a problem with blood sugar falling fast after ingesting a protien alone.

This is a very well-know property of protein since it is insulinogenic. Meats probably have the strongest hypoglycemic effects of all protein and gelatin the weakest as glycine spares insulin and this prevents the sudden blood sugar crash. Many of Peat's articles talk about this, and quite a few threads on the forum do too. In general, protein should always be consumed with some sugar to avoid this stress reaction.

OP
G

Ganne

Thanks, for your reply. I am new here and stil learning. I was vegan for 7 years and my blood sugar was pretty stable but became B12 and zinc deficient. I am trying to find a new way to eat that will address all my issues. Is there a diet outline somewhere that outlines Peat's dietary recommendations?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks, for your reply. I am new here and stil learning. I was vegan for 7 years and my blood sugar was pretty stable but became B12 and zinc deficient. I am trying to find a new way to eat that will address all my issues. Is there a diet outline somewhere that outlines Peat's dietary recommendations?

Yes, there is a Wiki section you can use as a start.
New to Peat: How to get started? - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

_Chris_

Protein appears to stimulate the release of both glucagon and insulin. Normally, the glucagon should help to address any hypoglycemic response caused by the insulin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals