My Capacity To Oxidize Glucose Seems To Be Literally Zero

Fletcher

Are there any uncouplers besides aspirin and coffee that Peat hasn't talked about which will stimulate mitochondrial regeneration?
Red light, methylene blue and copper are the uncouplers I know of from RP and Georgi.

Elize

I introduced Lactaid milk about 4 months ago. Ended up to 4 glasses of milk per day. I had ultrasound done to check on an existing ovarian cyst. It's still 9 mm as before. On my left ovary was found a calcification spot, that was not there 4 months ago. Could it be the milk? I only take Tirosint-Sol for Thyroid nothing else not even supplements right now. Dr thought I took calcium supplements

Nemo

Using uncouplers and things that speed up metabolism like thyroid, aspirin, caffeine will only deplete Bs further, and if you take them but not enough Bs you are screwing yourself over big time. Thiamine is great for increasing CO2, one of the better ways to do it.

Wow, is this ever true. When I first started using thiamine, I could only use about 12 mg a day, in divided doses with meals. That much made me feel great. More made me feel jittery.

But after maybe 6-8 weeks at that dose, I strongly felt I needed more. I upped the dose to about 20 mg a day. Now I've just been upping it again to about 35 mg a day.

I can tell when I using the right dose because it causes me to take very deep, very satisfying breaths. Before I took B1, I had chronic shortness of breath.

The urge to take more B1, and the need for more to trigger the deep, satisfying breathing, came at the same time as rising morning temp and slow steady weight loss. I had been having trouble with weight gain after surgery until the B1 reversed it.

Elize

Which B1 product are you using? I tried a powder and had bad body aches and dropped it.

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say thiamine is perhaps what you were missing. I've never used niacinamide and don't believe it's as useful for glucose oxidation as B1. I'm also gonna recommend Benfotiamine like most of the others because I am experimenting with it right now and can eat twice the carbs (white rice, potatoes, grapes). In fact it feels like I have to up the carbs with Benfo and even more so when I stack it with aspirin and other related tools.

The other day I took 125 mg Benfo in tsp coconut oil, 125 mg Aspro aspirin/sod.bicarb., 0.5mg methylene blue, and a teaspoon of mag. carbonate dissolved in a cup of decaff with a tablespoon of gelatine in and was off to the gym. Within 40 minutes I had drunk a litre of juice and was back home due to lightheadedness. Also could barely feel my heartbeat and couldn't really get a pump in the muscles (all forms of NO substantially lowered?). I proceeded to spoon down a jar (500 grams) of honey, ate an entire pineapple sprinkled with salt, and did 2-3 hours of reading before feeling great again.

Zpol

1/3 of your calories as fat, you will quickly get insulin resistant
Thanks, I didn't know this. I had been aiming for about 30% fat but increased that because I'm trying to get up to 2000 cal a day and I have gastroparesis so I can only eat small quantities of food, so I try to pack in as many calories as I can in each bite. But I do think my fat went up to about 40%.

Eat five fruits or vegetables a day (obviously Peaty, fruits better), milk, a little meat/fish here and there, potato or sprouted oats when you want occasional starches, and you'll be unlikely to have problems with potassium. Make sure you eat 100g a day of watermelon daily as one of the fruits and you'll be unlikely to be magnesium deficient. Drink at least four glasses of milk a day and you're unlikely to be calcium deficient. If you're getting potassium as above, just salt to taste and you'll be unlikely to be sodium deficient.

Food types are also a major factor for me. I have severe villous atrophy due to Celiac and SIBO and cannot digest dairy (results in psoriasis and connective tissue pain). Also, had to eliminate starches entirely because of bowel inflammation (this was a last resort, the gut pain was severe and persistent). I'm allergic to melons so although they are Peaty they are no-go for me. Ironically, not Peaty fruit like bananas (extremely and ripe, borderline overly ripe), extremely ripe mangoes, and extremely ripe apples, don't seem to give me any allergies or digestion issues. I do avoid berries and things with unavoidable seeds. I've have majorly increased my OJ consumption in order to get more potassium. I was concerned that was related to the high blood sugar, I never drank much juice before this year.
After more research, I see meat consumption is correlated to a high diabetes risk as well. For me, it's my only protein source along with eggs so I kind of have to eat a lot of it in order to get 80-90 grams of protein per day. I take BCAA's too (minus the inflammatory ones) so that's one meal that I don't need meat or eggs but the rest is all muscle meat plus extra glycine. Can't do gelatin or too much broth because the histadine and arginine cause migraines and shingles breakouts respectively. Typing it all out like this sounds crazy, like I'm OCD or orthorexic or something but I'm just trying to stay alive at this point. Just a year ago I was mostly bed ridden, chronic viral flare ups plus autoimmune disease have been devastating and left me in this state. Also I have PCOS which is a contributing factor. I have a very limited diet, it sucks but at least I'm alive and out of bed.

Thanks for the info about fat ratio. If you ever find those studies, and have a moment, can you share them with us? I did some searching myself but the only ones I could find regarding low fat and diabetes were diets based on lots of whole grains and beans ('plant based').

Francisco

50 mg niacinamide a few times a day

Bag breathing and walking while nose breathing and maintaining mild air hunger

1000mg of thiamine per day

Make sure you have bowel movements once or better yet twice a day

Get plenty of calcium.

What’s so good about pooping twice a day?

shine

Zpol, if you're doing all this, especially B vitamins and Benfo, and you're getting pre-diabetes symptoms like these, to me it shouts out too much fat in your diet. Just looked for the studies I saw recently and couldn't find them quickly, but they showed that if you're eating more than 1/3 of your calories as fat, you will quickly get insulin resistant. That's no matter what kind of fat you're eating. It happens fast and you can reverse it fast. Just get your fat calories down below 30% of total calories, even for individual meals and snacks.

Eat five fruits or vegetables a day (obviously Peaty, fruits better), milk, a little meat/fish here and there, potato or sprouted oats when you want occasional starches, and you'll be unlikely to have problems with potassium. Make sure you eat 100g a day of watermelon daily as one of the fruits and you'll be unlikely to be magnesium deficient. Drink at least four glasses of milk a day and you're unlikely to be calcium deficient. If you're getting potassium as above, just salt to taste and you'll be unlikely to be sodium deficient.

Watermelon has like 10mg of Mg per 100g. Why do you recommend watermelon for Mg?

shine

Which B1 product are you using? I tried a powder and had bad body aches and dropped it.

I read somewhere (I think it was in a thread about B1 being a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor by haidut) that you need lots of potassium for high doses of B1. B1 depleting potassium could lead to body aches. Maybe that was the issue.

YourUniverse

Lol I dont think this means your glucose oxidation is poor.

It seems to me you ate relatively quick digesting foods and then took aspirin which lowers your ability to produce cortisol and then took niacinamide which inhibited your ability to release free fatty acids. Once your sugar ran out your body was inhibited from
releasing adaptive hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline (niacinamide inhibited free fatty acid release, which is one of the main things adrenaline does) causing you to be left with absolutely nothing to run on, hence the crash.

Fruit/ fruit juice are known to be rapidly digested. Sugars in general digest pretty rapidly. Without any fat, protein also may be more quickly digested. Also i'm pretty sure without some cortisol amino acids can't be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis in the liver, so even if you had enough amino acids available to provide you with some energy, you inhibited the conversion to glucose by using aspirin.

If you want to make your meals last longer, you have to add some fiber, fat, and/ or boiled starches. Coconut oil doesnt really count either, it burns like sugar. Also, in my experience, if used too much or in the wrong context, these anti-stress substances (aspirin, progesterone, niacinamide etc) can cause you to bottom out by tanking the adaptive hormones too much. I dont think the goal should be zero cortisol, zero estrogen, zero adrenaline etc. I think some basic low level amount of these adaptive hormones is required to function to some degree.
Nice post

I wanted to see how much of my energy I was getting from burning fat versus burning sugar. Plus my blood sugar lowered a lot over the past few years, so I wanted to confirm that I was in fact oxidizing glucose. Unfortunately the results were a pretty bad surprise.

I ate barely any fat for the entire day, only drank lots of orange juice and ate some cheese sticks and drank a few cups of milk, and took aspirin & niacinamide to kill FFA.

A few hours later I felt absolutely horrible, couldn't form complete sentences, couldn't walk outside my door, had not even an ounce of energy and needed to bag breathe for 5 min to just get my thoughts together, go to my kitchen and eat a spoon of coconut oil (don't mean to over-dramatize). Thankfully the difference in 2 min was night and day.

So the bad news is that all of my energy seems to be coming from fat no matter how many carbs I eat and how good my blood sugar seems to be on paper. All my carbs are going to lactic acid instead of CO2.

I already take MB, try to get at least a bit of red light regularly, take thyroid, and have been depleting PUFA for 4 years, all of which are supposed to lower lactate. If my glucose oxidation is still this bad what else is left for me to try?

CO2 exposure in theory should be able to regenerate mitochondria and restore glucose oxidation but I don't know how to put it into practice aside from moving to a high altitude.

Are there any uncouplers besides aspirin and coffee that Peat hasn't talked about which will stimulate mitochondrial regeneration?

Thanks for reading.
Did you put your food intake on cronometer?

One liter of orange juice has only around 80-100 grams of sugar. Let's assume you drank 3 liters of it. You said you drank a few cups of milk, which gives you around 50 grams of carbs. If this was your entire diet for the day, then you only got 350 grams of sugar at max. I'm not sure how much protein you got from cheese, but assuming you got 100 grams of protein from milk and cheese, then you only ingested about 1800 calories. That's very low, especially for a male.

So it may not be that you don't burn glucose well, it may be that you just didn't eat enough sugar to replace the calories you were getting from fat. The only way that I can see you getting enough calories on a almost zero fat diet is by adding concentrated sources of sugar: white sugar, maple syrup, honey, molasses, dates, etc.

Watermelon has like 10mg of Mg per 100g. Why do you recommend watermelon for Mg?
Maybe it was a typo? One kilogram of watermelon has 100mg of magnesium, which is respectable. I think she meant 1000g instead of 100g.

OP
L

lampofred

Sorry for the slow reply & thanks for all the responses!

The thing with B1 is that I've tried it in the past and have usually gotten gut issues with it. I also didn't feel much noticeable benefit. My belief is that my issue is more systemic in nature than due to specific nutrient deficiencies. Nevertheless I'll try to eat more liver in order to increase my B vitamin intake.

I think the issue might be due to excess cortisol, and I think Dr. Peat has said light + CO2 are the best antagonists to cortisol. Red light doesn't seem to be making that noticeable of a difference, so I'm trying to do things focused on uncoupling mitochondria to increase CO2 production. I'm currently trying small doses of nicotine gum.

@RealNeat I 100% think that I am negatively affected by EMF and am going to move to a less urban, higher altitude area as soon as I can.

@cinderella Yes, I barely eat meat. Only oysters regularly but will start eating chicken liver regularly again.

I agree that my caloric intake in general is probably pretty low, but high cortisol = low appetite, and low food intake = high cortisol, so that's a vicious cycle I'm trying to get out of...

My OP was pretty dramatic, but I have gotten so much better in so many ways over the past few years and am so grateful to Dr. Peat for his insanely brilliant work. BTW I think this attitude shift is an anecdotal confirmation that nicotine is in fact anti-learned helplessness lol.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals