Elevated Morning Blood Sugar

stargazer1111

I decided to try doing what the guy at fuckportioncontrol.com is doing and just eat sugar frequently throughout the day.

I felt the best yesterday that I have felt in my whole life. However, I woke up with a 108 mg/dl blood sugar this morning which is a little unnerving. My blood sugar before going to bed was 93.

I don't get it. Why would I be trending towards diabetic blood sugar readings but feel the best I have felt in a really long time? I am confused.

schultz

I decided to try doing what the guy at fuckportioncontrol.com is doing and just eat sugar frequently throughout the day.

I felt the best yesterday that I have felt in my whole life. However, I woke up with a 108 mg/dl blood sugar this morning which is a little unnerving. My blood sugar before going to bed was 93.

I don't get it. Why would I be trending towards diabetic blood sugar readings but feel the best I have felt in a really long time? I am confused.

The morning reading is from cortisol. Do you normally check your blood sugar in the morning?

OP
S

stargazer1111

Yeah. I had a feeling it was from cortisol. I'm just not sure if it is something to worry about or not.

After deciding to get 50-60 grams of sugar in the form of either juice or sugared milk every 2-3 hours, I have an insane amount of energy, my body temp peaked at 99.3 yesterday and I felt like I did when I was a little kid...really well.

I only slept about 6 hours and I woke up this morning with more energy than I've had in years and felt good.

But, my blood sugar was slightly elevated.

I am beginning to wonder if the diabetes organizations are just wrong about their blood sugar level guidelines. They are wrong about the diet they recommend. So, they could be wrong about this too. I feel better with slightly elevated blood sugar. I'd rather have elevated blood sugar and feel well with tons of energy than try and fit myself into their guidelines and feel like crap.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Oh. And I have tested my blood sugar in the morning semi-regularly for a year. Before transitioning from zero carb/ketogenic, it was about 69-71 in the morning. This was the time during which I had a saliva test that actually showed low overall cortisol and very low morning cortisol (I think my adrenal glands were suffering from the zero carb diet).

For the last little while it has been in the mid 90s in the morning.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
RP: It's good to have albumin well above 40 and blood glucose anywhere from 70 to 110, and Potassium and Sodium should be around the middle of the scale.

Source

I'm not sure this is a diabetic blood reading

What kind of sugar are you consuming?

Ray has said that potassium may be far more important. That's a reason for orange juice and sugar sources such as ripe fruit. They have a lot of potassium and other things in them.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Yeah. It just freaked me out because the ADA says that anything over 100 as a fasting level is pre-diabetic. But, I feel fantastic, really.

Most of the sugar I get comes from orange juice and milk. But, I do drink lemonade and cane sugar soda from time to time. And I add sugar to the milk. I probably get about 5500 to 6000mg of potassium per day. I also add a handful of salt to all my drinks for the sodium.

My postprandial sugars are still great so I will try not to worry about it too much.

sele

High blood sugar in the morning comes from stress hormones and gluconeogenesis. The morning sugar will come down after a few weeks of proper night time nutrition. Some ice cream at bed time will help. :2cents:

OP
S

stargazer1111

How much fat is ideal? I think I am between 75-100 grams per day. Most of it comes from dairy because I don't seem to react well to anything but whole milk and I also eat ice cream before bed.

I get probably 6 grams of PUFA in total per day.

invictus

I'm 67, with treatment resistant bipolar and non-restorative sleep. During the late summer I was drinking a couple of real sugar Pepsi's, eating fruit, ice cream, as well as shrimp, fish and eggs. Had self-ordered labs in October. My blood sugar was 107. Cholesterol was 230. Triglycerides, 330. HDL, 33. LDL, 170. My BP was also elevated: 148/85. My doctor diagnosed me with Metabolic Syndrome and wanted to prescribe Metformin, a statin and a blood pressure medication. I told him I'll work on my diet and check back in three months. He wasn't thrilled with that. I now have new insurance and am in no hurry to meet my new primary. Is eating more sugar and starches, ultimately, a solution or am I throwing fuel on the fire? All opinions welcomed.

Kunder

This brings back memories. About 3 months ago I bought a Bayer glucometer from Amazon with a pile of stripes. Just out of curiosity.

The first time i used it for morning sugar, my glucose was 108. Then 109, then 106, and so on. Im 42, lean and healthy. I was freaking out. To make long story short, i went for 4 different blood tests, each time checking my glucose in paralel on the glucometer.

Turns out the piece of ***t was about 13 to 15 percent overstating the glucose levels compared to lab results, each and every time.

And guess what - supposedly that is perfectly ok and within the technical norm for these devices.

So there.

jet9

stargazer1111, how are your experiments going?

I have similar experience to you and wonder if i should be concerned.
I am testing my blood sugar regularly in the morning.
And without fruits but with some starch at dinner(potatoes/sweet potatoes at 6pm) my morning blood levels are 65-70 mg/dl
When i add fruits it's usually 90 mg/dl

OP
S

stargazer1111

stargazer1111, how are your experiments going?

I have similar experience to you and wonder if i should be concerned.
I am testing my blood sugar regularly in the morning.
And without fruits but with some starch at dinner(potatoes/sweet potatoes at 6pm) my morning blood levels are 65-70 mg/dl
When i add fruits it's usually 90 mg/dl

Man, my health has been on a roller coaster ride since I posted this.

A month later (May of last year), I developed severe episodes of tachycardia. I ended up in and out of the ER 6 times because my heart started beating so fast that I lost circulation in my arms and legs. I'm surprised I didn't pass out.

At the time, my diet consisted of chicken breast, coconut oil, ice cream, milk, sugar, grape juice, soda, and carrot salads on occasion. I was taking massive doses of vitamin D (10,000-20,000 IU per day) and vitamin A (100,000 IU per day). I ended up taking the vitamin A for a total of 5 weeks. Additionally, on the advice of Danny Roddy and Peat, I started taking 1 grain of thyroid per day since I seemed to have many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. This was a big mistake because it turned out that I actually had hypERthyroidism and was exacerbating it. So, I discontinued all thyroid extract.

At the time, everybody assumed that the tachycardia was from being hyperthyroid. They discovered that my thyroid had become inflamed and was dumping excess thyroid hormones into the blood. I also had signs of liver disease and a severely inflamed gastrointestinal system.

Now, at the time, there were two main possibilities as to what had gone wrong. It was either the excess sugar or the excess vitamin A. The doctors assumed it was the excess sugar and didn't think much about the vitamin A. However, I also started showing signs of hypervitaminosis A. I developed severe memory loss, suicidal depression, and open sores on my hands and feet in addition to severe bone pain in certain areas. I discontinued the vitamin A and have been consuming a vitamin A-free diet since. It can take years to excrete all the vitamin A you consume if you consume too much.

The memory loss and mental issues have slowly improved since that time. I still don't feel 100 percent myself, but I am getting there.

When all of this was going on, I dropped sugar entirely too because I was panicked and had no idea what was causing the problem. Initially, I went zero carb again for a few weeks but this made me feel like ***t the way it did before. So, I went back to eating a starch-based diet for several months.

The problem is that, even though my hyperthyroidism had resolved, I was still having episodes of tachycardia. So, I started keeping a food journal and began to realize what was causing the tachycardia: any foods that are high in histamine or are histamine liberators. Citrus fruits, fermented foods, aged meats, cheese, pomegranate, strawberries. All of those would predictably result in tachycardia where my pulse would skyrocket up to 160-180 bpm and stay there for a long time.

Minimizing histamine intake took away the tachycardia and it is 100 percent under my control. If I slip up and eat the wrong foods, the pulse skyrockets again. If I don't, it stays normal. The question is, why did I suddenly develop a histamine intolerance? I believe the excess vitamin A damaged the gastrointestinal tract. This inhibits the gastric mucosa from producing diamine oxidase, the enzyme responsible for breaking down histamine from food. So, all that histamine ends up in the bloodstream where it acts on the beta-adrenergic receptors of the heart to speed up the pulse directly and dilate the blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and forcing the heart to pump even faster to keep the blood flowing. Hypervitaminosis A has been shown to destroy the gastrointestinal system, so I believe this to be what happened.

I also discovered that it was NOT the sugar that caused the problems in the first place. I have added back in apple juice as a source of fruit sugar since it is very low in histamine compared to orange juice and it causes no problems at all. Other juices aren't so great. Grape juice is fine in moderation. But, any orange juice or cranberry juice or something along those lines, and my heart freaks out again.

I do not feel right without sugar, and I mean specifically sugar, not starch. Fruit sugar alters my neurotransmitters in a way that nothing else can. Without sugar, I can't socialize or make proper eye contact with people and orgasms make this infinitely worse. But, with sugar, my brain recovers from orgasms much more quickly and I can socialize much better. I believe it has something to do with resetting serotonin and dopamine but am unsure.

My diet now is a good balance of fruit sugar from apple juice, starch from white rice/potatoes, skim milk (vitamin A-free), chicken breast, coconut oil, and small amounts of olive oil.

For now, that is working. Who knows how it will change in the future, though.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Sorry, I forgot to talk about my blood sugar.

Since adding back in the fruit sugar to a moderate level and keeping it at sort of a 50:50 split with starch, my blood sugar values have actually gotten better.

My fasting blood sugar with this combination is 80-85 and my post-meal sugars don't go nearly as high as they do with starch only.

I think a good split of starch and sugar is probably ideal rather than just one or the other.

I'm curious whether there were any symptoms of gastro problems before you were diagnosed with massive gastro inflamation? And have those symptoms resolved?

jet9

Glad you are feeling better. Looking at your diet to me it looks like it can be caused by "coconut oil". I remember once also had hyperthyroid effects from it and that make me stop it for good. Now i don't touch it.

I do not feel right without sugar, and I mean specifically sugar, not starch. Fruit sugar alters my neurotransmitters in a way that nothing else can. Without sugar, I can't socialize or make proper eye contact with people and orgasms make this infinitely worse. But, with sugar, my brain recovers from orgasms much more quickly and I can socialize much better. I believe it has something to do with resetting serotonin and dopamine but am unsure.

I can attest to this. Fruits make my libido/socialization better; but at the same time less productive at work.
Will try your suggestion and experiment with 50/50.

Kunder

Hypo or hyper, it spells almost the same, and pronounces even more so. I mean, half the threads here start with a completely unqualified ungrounded and fairly baseless self-diagnoses. Though I do wonder, had it killed you, would the people who had instructed you to take thyroid, have any liability...ethical or legal, what have you.

Time to step back a bit..

mipp

A month later (May of last year), I developed severe episodes of tachycardia. I ended up in and out of the ER 6 times because my heart started beating so fast that I lost circulation in my arms and legs. I'm surprised I didn't pass out.

At the time, my diet consisted of chicken breast, coconut oil, ice cream, milk, sugar, grape juice, soda, and carrot salads on occasion. I was taking massive doses of vitamin D (10,000-20,000 IU per day) and vitamin A (100,000 IU per day). I ended up taking the vitamin A for a total of 5 weeks. Additionally, on the advice of Danny Roddy and Peat, I started taking 1 grain of thyroid per day since I seemed to have many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. This was a big mistake because it turned out that I actually had hypERthyroidism and was exacerbating it. So, I discontinued all thyroid extract.

At the time, everybody assumed that the tachycardia was from being hyperthyroid. They discovered that my thyroid had become inflamed and was dumping excess thyroid hormones into the blood. I also had signs of liver disease and a severely inflamed gastrointestinal system.

Now, at the time, there were two main possibilities as to what had gone wrong. It was either the excess sugar or the excess vitamin A. The doctors assumed it was the excess sugar and didn't think much about the vitamin A. However, I also started showing signs of hypervitaminosis A. I developed severe memory loss, suicidal depression, and open sores on my hands and feet in addition to severe bone pain in certain areas. I discontinued the vitamin A and have been consuming a vitamin A-free diet since. It can take years to excrete all the vitamin A you consume if you consume too much.

The memory loss and mental issues have slowly improved since that time. I still don't feel 100 percent myself, but I am getting there.

When all of this was going on, I dropped sugar entirely too because I was panicked and had no idea what was causing the problem. Initially, I went zero carb again for a few weeks but this made me feel like ***t the way it did before. So, I went back to eating a starch-based diet for several months.

The problem is that, even though my hyperthyroidism had resolved, I was still having episodes of tachycardia. So, I started keeping a food journal and began to realize what was causing the tachycardia: any foods that are high in histamine or are histamine liberators. Citrus fruits, fermented foods, aged meats, cheese, pomegranate, strawberries. All of those would predictably result in tachycardia where my pulse would skyrocket up to 160-180 bpm and stay there for a long time.

Minimizing histamine intake took away the tachycardia and it is 100 percent under my control. If I slip up and eat the wrong foods, the pulse skyrockets again. If I don't, it stays normal. The question is, why did I suddenly develop a histamine intolerance? I believe the excess vitamin A damaged the gastrointestinal tract. This inhibits the gastric mucosa from producing diamine oxidase, the enzyme responsible for breaking down histamine from food. So, all that histamine ends up in the bloodstream where it acts on the beta-adrenergic receptors of the heart to speed up the pulse directly and dilate the blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and forcing the heart to pump even faster to keep the blood flowing. Hypervitaminosis A has been shown to destroy the gastrointestinal system, so I believe this to be what happened.

I also discovered that it was NOT the sugar that caused the problems in the first place. I have added back in apple juice as a source of fruit sugar since it is very low in histamine compared to orange juice and it causes no problems at all. Other juices aren't so great. Grape juice is fine in moderation. But, any orange juice or cranberry juice or something along those lines, and my heart freaks out again.

My diet now is a good balance of fruit sugar from apple juice, starch from white rice/potatoes, skim milk (vitamin A-free), chicken breast, coconut oil, and small amounts of olive oil.

For now, that is working. Who knows how it will change in the future, though.
Interesting, I also have histamine intolerance which I discovered after trying to eat Peat diet with lots of OJ, milk, sugar, coffee and gelatin. It gave me amazing energy for the first few days but also problems like dizziness, elevated blood pressure, rheumatic pain in my wrists and eventually constant diarrhoea. At first I thought that dizzines was due to poor blood sugar regulation but then I found that I have no such problems with plain sucrose. I even got glucometer which showed that my glucose is generally elevated but stable. It took me months to figure out that problems may be caused by histamines in certain foods, with OJ being especially problematic.

I don't know what causes my histamine sensitivity. Your vitamin A hypothesis is interesting. I never megadosed vitamins, however I was on a LCHF diet for years, with tons of foods that are high in vit A like butter and eggs. It was then that I had first symptoms but I didn't know what it was at that time. I thought this was some kind of allergy but could never target one specific food that I would consistently react to.

As for blood sugar, unfortunately it stays in prediabetic range if I consume significant amounts of sucrose. I tried tweaking my diet for a few months but so far removing sugar is the only thing that works. I've been eating high starch, low fat, low sucrose diet for a few weeks and my fasting glucose is in the 80-90 range for the first time since I got a glucometer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals