Why Does Starch Balance My Blood Sugar?

raypeatclips

After everything I've read of Peat, sugar should provide a smooth, steady bloody sugar. The other day I had a very "peat friendly" day, oj, milk, pepsi with beef for lunch, oj and eggs. But I felt awful, irritable, anxious, until I ate a bowl of starchy, corn honey cereal with milk. Which balanced me for the next few hours until my next meal.

Ukall

Could it be that your gut is not adapted to that type of diet and you were 'hungry'? I've read here people saying something like "if you are, for example, eating potatoes your whole life and you drastically change to OJ, you gut will experience some kind of hunger since it's not adapted to it."
And when I mean not adapted, I mean everything: enzymes, bacteria, etc.
I don't know if this is actually true, but there must be someone more knowledgeable that can confirm this.

tara

I've been having starch a bit more frequently in the last few months (I never stopped altogether, just ate more sugary/less starchy foods for a while). I think it helps me feels more energy-stable, more satisfied. Here is one possible take - not something I've come across from Peat, and I don't know if Natalie's hypothesis is confirmed.

Natalie Zimmerman: "The Woefully Misguided War On Carbohydrates"

SarahBeara

I too have the same experience. Would love to stick with sugar and protein but the blood sugar is never stable on it. I feel I'd need a sucrose IV for it to work as oral administration is very hit and miss!

XPlus

I find starches vs. sugars in the diet to be one of Peats biggest puzzles.
I might need 4-6 litres of juice along with milk, supplemental sucrose and a bit of starch and fruit fibre daily.
Eliminating the starch and fruit fibre just means more liquid over what I'm already struggling with.
I think it feels normal to most people to include some starch and fibre in the diet but then you got bacterial overgrowth to worry about.
"There ain't no heaven is nowhere"

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah after three years I still eat a serving of starch everyday.
I think it's about time to try going completely starch free soon and see how it goes.
I have been having luck reducing fat some lately so I guess that's a little progress.
I could just never fathom low fat and no starch at the same time but obviously it works out fairly well for many people here.

After everything I've read of Peat, sugar should provide a smooth, steady bloody sugar. The other day I had a very "peat friendly" day, oj, milk, pepsi with beef for lunch, oj and eggs. But I felt awful, irritable, anxious, until I ate a bowl of starchy, corn honey cereal with milk. Which balanced me for the next few hours until my next meal.

Did you check your blood sugar before / after ?

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Could it be that your gut is not adapted to that type of diet and you were 'hungry'? I've read here people saying something like "if you are, for example, eating potatoes your whole life and you drastically change to OJ, you gut will experience some kind of hunger since it's not adapted to it."
And when I mean not adapted, I mean everything: enzymes, bacteria, etc.
I don't know if this is actually true, but there must be someone more knowledgeable that can confirm this.

I've been dabbling with Peat about 3-4 years so milk and oj is not new at all, but limiting starch is something new I'd been trying, guess I wasn't ready for it.

I've been having starch a bit more frequently in the last few months (I never stopped altogether, just ate more sugary/less starchy foods for a while). I think it helps me feels more energy-stable, more satisfied. Here is one possible take - not something I've come across from Peat, and I don't know if Natalie's hypothesis is confirmed.

Natalie Zimmerman: "The Woefully Misguided War On Carbohydrates"

Thanks, I quite like what she was saying and that smart-fuel-pyramind seems like something I've been instinctively doing for a while and doesn't seem "anti-Peat" and Peat has said starches don't mean bad health.

I think it's about time to try going completely starch free soon and see how it goes.
I have been having luck reducing fat some lately so I guess that's a little progress.
I could just never fathom low fat and no starch at the same time but obviously it works out fairly well for many people here.

Yeah I had been watching fat intake recently and felt reducing starch was the "next step" as well. I am not too sure how many people are doing well low fat and no starch on here, there are a few groups of high fat eaters and high starch eaters.

Did you check your blood sugar before / after ?

Nope I don't have anything to measure blood sugar at the moment, considering adding it to the collection of measuring instruments though,

tomisonbottom

Does adding salt or supplementing salt help you digest the liquids? It might not be the starch as much as it's the excess liquid without salt or solids.

I've noticed I digest things better when I want to eat them......when I feel like it's the right thing my body is craving; whether that's something salty or sweet, liquid or solid.

Tenacity

I've found that saturated fat, coconut in particular, has helped me go longer after sugary meals without suffering from hypoglycemia. Is that what your anxiety is after your 'Peaty' meal? Hypoglycemia?

Jsaute21

Great thread. I am trying to find the happy medium between starch/sugar consumption. How does one accurately measure blood sugar levels?

Regina

Hi Blossom,
Sorry if you updated this on another thread. Did you ever go starch free?

I'm not really a foodie. So, I could fathom going with whatever is the best?
I kind of like opening up the hatch and throwing whatever in the beast and go about my business.

However, in the past, if I had just, say, a salad with some protein on it or maybe just fruit for lunch, I feel like I have had diet food and need to eat an actual meal. It's not like it's cravings; it's like I just have not eaten.

I am finding that a bit with Peating. I'm still in the fits n starts phase.
I had to do something immediate about the catabolic state I was in whilst eating PHD (Jaminet) AND training. PHD seemed excellent until I got back to training. It was like 'Houston we have a problem'. Crazy creepy skinny real fast. I was crawling home and sucking down Peat articles.
I started OJ and sugary milk but didn't know about the pulp and think I gave myself SIBO and carotemia. I think both have resolved. (??) Some months in now, tweeks here and there.
I could go starch free easily if I knew it was healthy but would need to eat. I mean EAT. Cheese, fruit and shellfish would be just fine for me.
But what about colorectal cancer? Do we need more fiber?
I'd like to do what you are doing.
Hope you are doing well.

M

member 2106

It's exactly the same for me. I feel like I'm going crazy when I go too long without starch. Yesterday I didn't eat much at work, except grapes and a little bit of potato, and by the time I was finished I was so hungry and irritable I had to swing by a McDonalds! Terrible! But it solved the problem.

Peata

Maybe you just didn't have enough solid food. I've read somewhere that your body wants chewing of actual food to feel satisfied, especially since solid foods will take some time to sit in your stomach and help you feel full. So maybe cut back on the liquids or at least add more food to what you're eating. The starch gave you something to chew, something to fill your stomach and let it know it's received food.

Adding: And it should be fine to eat a little starch if it doesn't otherwise cause problems. I've lowered my own intake to one serving per day (all at once or even divided up over the day). Since I haven't given up starch completely, it takes away the craving for it since I know I can have some. But my blood sugar does seem more even this way, with a lot less starch.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Maybe you just didn't have enough solid food. I've read somewhere that your body wants chewing of actual food to feel satisfied, especially since solid foods will take some time to sit in your stomach and help you feel full. So maybe cut back on the liquids or at least add more food to what you're eating. The starch gave you something to chew, something to fill your stomach and let it know it's received food.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this is something I've thought about recently too. I feel like liquids empty out of my stomach fast, and then I feel hungry again and agitated, despite them having good macros. I'm starting to experiment with cooked fruit, mainly in place of the potatoes I started to eat to fill the gap of solid food, which I am excited about.

superhuman

@raypeatclips i know RP mentions using some coconut oil together with sugar to balance blood sugar since sugar gets taken up fast, so if your not eating a low fat diet there may be some fat in your blood stream and some of it may be pufa as well which then causes bad reaction with blood sugar. Salt also tend to help with blood sugar as well. So try some coconut oil first then the sugar and salt and see

Syncopated

I think it feels normal to most people to include some starch and fibre in the diet but then you got bacterial overgrowth to worry about.

Get a zapper.

Potatoes with lots of coconut oil, cayenne and salt does it for me. Followed by milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals