Progesterone made me fat

august4

I started using progesterone 4 months ago after hearing all of the great things about it to help with estrogen dominance. I used it on days 14 to 28 of my cycle for 3 months. I finally quit because my body was screaming at me too because of terrible symptoms I was having. I have put on 30 lb and every week I weigh it is only going up. I have been off of it for a month but I don't know how long it takes to get out of my system or if my body will go back to normal. I have not ovulated this month no period. Has anyone else had a similar experience with any insight for me?

CatieJane

I’m so sorry that happened! I think I’ve read around this forum that taking progesterone can cause symptoms of estrogen dominance to be more pronounced in the beginning. I don’t have the correct lingo but I’m sure there are threads about it.

I’m 40 and have been taking Progest-e during day 14-28 of my cycle for nearly two years. I have NOT gained any weight and if anything have leaned out a bit. I started out taking a lot (like 1+ tsp per day) of it, then tapered down to maybe 10mg/day. It did cause my period to be late the first couple of months until I got very militant about the timing of doses.

I hope this helps. It might have to do with how much you’re taking, when, etc. but I don’t think it should cause weight gain in the long run.

OP
A

august4

I’m so sorry that happened! I think I’ve read around this forum that taking progesterone can cause symptoms of estrogen dominance to be more pronounced in the beginning. I don’t have the correct lingo but I’m sure there are threads about it.

I’m 40 and have been taking Progest-e during day 14-28 of my cycle for nearly two years. I have NOT gained any weight and if anything have leaned out a bit. I started out taking a lot (like 1+ tsp per day) of it, then tapered down to maybe 10mg/day. It did cause my period to be late the first couple of months until I got very militant about the timing of doses.

I hope this helps. It might have to do with how much you’re taking, when, etc. but I don’t think it should cause weight gain in the long run.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will never be using it again and highly regret ever using it!

When I took lower doses of progesterone, I got symptoms of estrogen dominance including breast tenderness and swelling and weight gain. When I increased the dose, things were immensely better and I actually lost weight. It was hard because I became very sedated. I stopped it for a while and was fine, but now am starting a high dose protocol for another reason (medication-induced injury). No weight gain thus far.

L_C

I started using progesterone 4 months ago after hearing all of the great things about it to help with estrogen dominance. I used it on days 14 to 28 of my cycle for 3 months. I finally quit because my body was screaming at me too because of terrible symptoms I was having. I have put on 30 lb and every week I weigh it is only going up. I have been off of it for a month but I don't know how long it takes to get out of my system or if my body will go back to normal. I have not ovulated this month no period. Has anyone else had a similar experience with any insight for me?
What brand of progesterone are you using? As others mentioned higher doses are better (like 100 mg for a few days - research the forum).

Personally, I would also combine it with aspirin. That's what I do now. I speculate majority of your weight gain is just water weight.

It takes 6+months to detox from extra estrogen. Some blood work would be helpful here.

OP
A

august4

When I took lower doses of progesterone, I got symptoms of estrogen dominance including breast tenderness and swelling and weight gain. When I increased the dose, things were immensely better and I actually lost weight. It was hard because I became very sedated. I stopped it for a while and was fine, but now am starting a high dose protocol for another reason (medication-induced injury). No weight gain thus far.
Well that's good it's working out for you now. I'm too scared to even think about high dosing it.

OP
A

august4

What brand of progesterone are you using? As others mentioned higher doses are better (like 100 mg for a few days - research the forum).

Personally, I would also combine it with aspirin. That's what I do now. I speculate majority of your weight gain is just water weight.

It takes 6+months to detox from extra estrogen. Some blood work would be helpful here.
I've been doing a lot of research and it seems I need tons of fiber to help detox it.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 grams a day is what I keep hearing. That's a lot for me! It would be nice if some of it's water weight but no way is 30 lbs all water unfortunately.

OP
A

august4

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems I need tons of fiber to help detox it.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 grams a day is what I keep hearing. That's a lot for me! It would be nice if some of it's water weight but no way is 30 lbs all water unfortunately.
I was using smoky mountain naturals Progesto-life

Bex

30lbs is going to be majority water weight you under estimate how much water your body holds onto. Also what’s you’re diet like? You could be over eating or under eating …

OP
A

august4

30lbs is going to be majority water weight you under estimate how much water your body holds onto. Also what’s you’re diet like? You could be over eating or under eating …
Well I hope it is! My diet did not change after I started the Progesterone cream. Although just recently the last 4 days I started adding in beans and psyllium powder *gasp* to get rid of excess estrogen. And I can actually already tell a difference. Only positive things so far. I've been doing that carrot salad for almost 9 months and I never could tell a difference.

K

Kaur Singh

problems from taking progesterone usually indicate needing to work on your liver/thyroid
if the estrogen is not able to be excreted out of the body, it goes back into circulation.

eat plenty of carbs and protein (see Katherina Dalton, i stick with fruits and roots for carb sources)
track your temperature and heart rate throughout the day
Calcium sodium potassium magnesium
etc

the basics

Also, some people who don't go through this
have a hard time understanding it is fat, not water.

OP
A

august4

problems from taking progesterone usually indicate needing to work on your liver/thyroid
if the estrogen is not able to be excreted out of the body, it goes back into circulation.

eat plenty of carbs and protein
etc

the basics
Yes I agree. Ever since I've been getting my bloodwork done my bilirubin levels have been really high, with no explanation or concern from the Dr (imagine that?). So I knew my liver needed work and I've tried lots of things to no avail. I think I found the missing piece for me though. Adding soluble fiber which binds to the bile, which has all the crud in it. Then you ? it out and your body has to make new bile. So it gets rid of the old sludgy stuff with all the toxins, metabolic waste, excess hormones that have been recirculating etc.

K

Kaur Singh

Peat talked about oat bran recently
aspirin in medical literature lowers bilirubin levels in blood tests
i do know of people that have lowered theirs without it, working on all things thyroid/metabolism

the good thing is it it taught you what you need to work on.
fiber may help,
there is a bigger picture
to tend to

Good luck!

Bex

Well I hope it is! My diet did not change after I started the Progesterone cream. Although just recently the last 4 days I started adding in beans and psyllium powder *gasp* to get rid of excess estrogen. And I can actually already tell a difference. Only positive things so far. I've been doing that carrot salad for almost 9 months and I never could tell a difference.
May I ask were you overweight prior to taking the Prog cream? Also are you taking any Vitamin E? I have been eating a large carrot everyday for the past three weeks later in the day and wow it’s cleared me out far better then the carrot salad ever did and I was eating that for a few months. Figs too omgoodness don’t get me started on them ? I can my eat one LOL

Mauritio

eat plenty of carbs and protein (see Katherina Dalton, i stick with fruits and roots for carb sources)
etc

the basics

Also, some people who don't go through this
have a hard time understanding it is fat, not water.
This .
Focus on liver health first. You have to find what supplement works for your liver, but I'd start with caffeine, vitamin K2 or TUDCA.

OP
A

august4

Peat talked about oat bran recently
aspirin in medical literature lowers bilirubin levels in blood tests
i do know of people that have lowered theirs without it, working on all things thyroid/metabolism

the good thing is it it taught you what you need to work on.
fiber may help,
there is a bigger picture
to tend to

Good luck!
Yes I have oat bran on order right now ?

OP
A

august4

This .
Focus on liver health first. You have to find what supplement works for your liver, but I'd start with caffeine, vitamin K2 or TUDCA.
Yes I take K2 and just started calcium D-glucarate. Will look into tudca, thanks.

OP
A

august4

May I ask were you overweight prior to taking the Prog cream? Also are you taking any Vitamin E? I have been eating a large carrot everyday for the past three weeks later in the day and wow it’s cleared me out far better then the carrot salad ever did and I was eating that for a few months. Figs too omgoodness don’t get me started on them ? I can my eat one LOL
No I currently weigh 139. I was about 113 previously. I felt that was a healthy weight for me. I usually fluctuated between that and 120 on the high side. Yes I take vitamin E everyday extra if I eat PUFA at a restaurant.

Mauritio

Yes I take K2 and just started calcium D-glucarate. Will look into tudca, thanks.
You're welcome :)
Are you taking K2 mk4 or mk7 ? I started mk7 a few days ago and it feels totally different from MK4.

Bex

You're welcome :)
Are you taking K2 mk4 or mk7 ? I started mk7 a few days ago and it feels totally different from MK4.
Definitely agree with mk7 I’m taking the one from Jarrows which has 180mcg per capsule. I pop 2 a day and the hubby has 3-4
No I currently weigh 139. I was about 113 previously. I felt that was a healthy weight for me. I usually fluctuated between that and 120 on the high side. Yes I take vitamin E everyday extra if I eat PUFA at a restaurant.
113 how tall are you? I’m 45, 5’5 and 127 but feel healthier at 130 ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals