Pregnenolone-Need Help/advice Asap Please!

misterboots

First post, seeking help because I cant find much information on how to deal with a bad reaction to Pregnenolone. I have secondary hypogonadism and am on HRT/TRT due to problems related to pituitary tumor. I am 34 years old. I did really well with DHT, and took 1 pump and a 1/4 pump of Life Flo Pregnenolone and it was way too much. My pupils got big and I started sweating and feeling clammy. That was Thursday night. Every day is getting a little better, but I have work tomorrow. I slept most of the weekend despite the speedy feeling I get. Now I feel "hormonal", meaning, I get tingles in my body. I read about coffee and sugar, so tried coffee and it made me worst. A spoonful of sugar did help. Other meds are 4 pumps androgel, and small dose of anti estrogen medicine called Aromasin. My TRT/HRT was going great, and I read so much good stuff about pregnenolone but now feel like a crack head! Any advice on when it will get better, remedies to lower the level. I am hoping I am thru the worst, and definitely scared that work may be a nightmare. Please help,

Mister boots

Surfari

Hi Mister Boots, I'm sorry you're feeling so rotten. I'm also sorry I can't answer your question, but because of the complexity of your condition, I'd suggest emailing Ray Peat.

The only things that come to mind is that 'a spoonful' of sugar is not a lot. Did you try the coffee by itself? I drink it with milk, sugar (three big spoonfuls), coconut oil, and with a meal. And I'm confused by why the combo of HRT and an anti-estrogen. But I don't know what TRT is, so maybe I'm not understanding something.
I hope your work goes okay tomorrow.
Ann

Mastemah

Hi!
The only pregnenalone I ever recommend are the powders. If you want a place to try it I can post a couple. I have had many clients try various sources w negative results. Powders seem the only reliable source. Ray responded about the issuer stating that they might use excipients that cause problems.

Yes sugar is a big deal in keeping you low stress. You may need more at the start and less later. The anti inflammatory recommendations Ray mentions like gelatin, niacin amide, getting enough protein throughout the day ect decrease the total need for extra sugar over time. Aspirin can be used as an aromatase inhibitor. You can replace your script with ASA with a physicians understanding of aspirin as an aromatase inhibitor. You want ASA aspirin powder with no additives. None.

What strength is your Androlgel?

mvlittle

Hi All,

I see this topic is from 2012 but I feel this could be the best place to post my question. I am on Desiccated Thyroid, nutri-pak 2 pills, 130 mg. each. I have recently started taking pregnenalone. Some of my challenges are adrenal, thyroid and way too much estrogen. I am feeling a little better but I am sure my dosages on not quite right yet.

Recently I have been able to absorb some of the book Stop The Thyroid Madness without going into complete mental overload. In this book the author talks about (p. 103) RT3 and how if you have already started taking desiccated thyroid and you start treating your adrenals with cortisol one can have heart palpitations.

When I was investigating taking pergnenalone I read of many people who would get heart palpitations from it. Could it be that the pregnenalone is causing a similar issue as the cortisol does? Could it be that there is too much RT3 or T3 in the blood that's not getting to the cells?

The book says to lower the DT until the palpitations go away. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Love,
Maryellen

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Progesterone is commonly used by females in Peatyville.

mvlittle said:
Hi All,

I see this topic is from 2012 but I feel this could be the best place to post my question. I am on Desiccated Thyroid, nutri-pak 2 pills, 130 mg. each. I have recently started taking pregnenalone. Some of my challenges are adrenal, thyroid and way too much estrogen. I am feeling a little better but I am sure my dosages on not quite right yet.

Recently I have been able to absorb some of the book Stop The Thyroid Madness without going into complete mental overload. In this book the author talks about (p. 103) RT3 and how if you have already started taking desiccated thyroid and you start treating your adrenals with cortisol one can have heart palpitations.

When I was investigating taking pergnenalone I read of many people who would get heart palpitations from it. Could it be that the pregnenalone is causing a similar issue as the cortisol does? Could it be that there is too much RT3 or T3 in the blood that's not getting to the cells?

The book says to lower the DT until the palpitations go away. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Love,
Maryellen

While pregenenolone might work for some, its downstream effects, i.e., the hormones it ultimately transforms into, seem to be quite variable. It's possible that in your case that it's making your existing dose of thyroid too effective, or that it's increasing your stress hormones. Without either careful interpretation of your blood work or symptoms its difficult for a lay person to gauge its effectiveness.

Cortisol as an adjunct to thyroid therapy is controversial and certainly not supported by this community in neither theory nor practice.

Thyroid treatment requires a considerable amount of patience (many months) and careful monitoring of pulse and temperature. If that didn't work for you, I would second Charlie's commendation of progesterone because of its more direct antagonism of estrogen besides that it's essentially non-toxic.

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) seems to be effective at ameliorating the palpitations secondary to thyroid supplementation. See,

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article ... eid=549592

aguilaroja

STTM is an admirable site and book, providing many good resources. However, the STTM approach differs somewhat from some of the forum members and (to the extent I understand him) Dr. Peat.

First, the emphasis here is on supporting restorative metabolism before any considering "adrenal fatigue" or supplementing any of the stress hormones (cortisol, estrogen, adrenal precursors), which is usually omitted.

When a person is depleted, it can be tricky to understand if one hormone function or another is the key factor. Sorting through symptoms and monitoring response to different maneuvers is often needed.

It seems from the description that the worry is about theoretical pregnenolone results, rather than a current problem. In general, I have not experienced these pregnenolone side effects. One possibility is fillers in pills and capsules causing other reactions, as Mastemah mentioned. Powders or purer sourced capsules are best.

http://www.toxinless.com/pregnenolone

Occasionally thyroid itself works "too well" especially in early use so that metabolism improves quickly, increasing the heart rate. I have seen the Progest-E progesterone oil improve thyroid function so quickly that there has been a few hours of rapid heart beat, which subsides when the progesterone amount is adjusted downward and increased more rapidly. In my circle, that's happened less than one per cent of the time.

Without knowing (and seeing) more, it's hard to know when the experience of "palpitations" is the beginning of improved metabolism, or something different and not helpful.

Different forum members use different thyroid preparations. Generally here, there is more individual adjusting of the T4 & T3 thyroid ratios, often including the bio-identical synthetic thyroid preparations. In the NDT, the ratio of T4 to T3 is fixed.

I don't know about the nutri-pak thyroid discussed here. If NDT is used, it's better to divide the dose and take smaller amounts several times daily, so that the T3 part of the NDT is split through the day.

mvlittle

Thank you for all the great replies. Yes, I was asking this theoretically. Luckily there has been no incidence of the palpitations. But I am facilitated about this because I know someone who had had the palpitations and has been treated for heart related issues. I'm thinking that there could be a thyroid connection. In addition to that I was asking about pregnenalone because progesterone as I understand it is only really for women and older men. My son and daughter and I have adrenal stress. i want something my son can use. I probably would not take Cortisol but I was theorizing that perhaps one could get a similar reaction taking pregnenalone as one could get taking Cortisol. Do you think that is possible? I am new to this and putting the pieces together has been quite a challenge, but facilitating! I think I will go breathe into a paper bag now. LOL

readforjoy

My understanding and experience is that, yes, pregnenalone or progesterone can help with low cortisol or adrenal stress. Here is a protocol I followed that talks about using either one to boost cortisol http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachme ... c16%20.att

I started off using pregnenolone, but it made my estrogen dominant symptoms worse after a few months, so now I just use progesterone. I am a female. I use it along with T3 thyroid.

Kray

Aguilarosa-- your comment: Different forum members use different thyroid preparations. Generally here, there is more individual adjusting of the T4 & T3 thyroid ratios, often including the bio-identical synthetic thyroid preparations. In the NDT, the ratio of T4 to T3 is fixed.

I don't know about the nutri-pak thyroid discussed here. If NDT is used, it's better to divide the dose and take smaller amounts several times daily, so that the T3 part of the NDT is split through the day.

This is very helpful to know dosing with NDT, which I just started taking. Do you think results can be just a good as the Rx thyroid if one is careful to monitor their status and move up/down accordingly (and assuming the fixed ratio of T4 to T3 is ok with the individual)? Thanks!

Kray

(from Aguilarosa)
It seems from the description that the worry is about theoretical pregnenolone results, rather than a current problem. In general, I have not experienced these pregnenolone side effects. One possibility is fillers in pills and capsules causing other reactions, as Mastemah mentioned. Powders or purer sourced capsules are best.

http://www.toxinless.com/pregnenolone

I have just ordered this in capsule form, pretty clean: http://www.prlabs.com/shop/index.php?ma ... cts_id=415

johnwester130

I take healthnatura pregnenolone

After several months, I can no longer take it. It irritates me

I don't know why this problem developed

Mossy

While pregenenolone might work for some, its downstream effects, i.e., the hormones it ultimately transforms into, seem to be quite variable. It's possible that in your case that it's making your existing dose of thyroid too effective, or that it's increasing your stress hormones. Without either careful interpretation of your blood work or symptoms its difficult for a lay person to gauge its effectiveness.

Cortisol as an adjunct to thyroid therapy is controversial and certainly not supported by this community in neither theory nor practice.

Thyroid treatment requires a considerable amount of patience (many months) and careful monitoring of pulse and temperature. If that didn't work for you, I would second Charlie's commendation of progesterone because of its more direct antagonism of estrogen besides that it's essentially non-toxic.

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) seems to be effective at ameliorating the palpitations secondary to thyroid supplementation. See,

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article ... eid=549592
I know this is an old thread, but that study that found thiamine ameliorated the palpitations to thyroid is what caught my eye. My only supplement today was 40 mg of thiamine and I had an episode of palpitations.

I am extremely sensitive to supplements, and in an effort to fine-tune my supps and determine what is doing what, I purposely only took thiamine today (40mg), with the objective of seeing if it helps with oxygen/air hunger, as well as being able to watch for any side effects. My main complaint is that I had heart palpitations about 6.5 hours after taking it. After reading that study that states it should help against this, it leaves me a bit frustrated. Maybe too much N.O.? If I'm remembering correctly, it could raise that.

For reference, yesterday, over 24 hrs earlier, I did take a handful of supplements: my own mock-energin: B1-20mg, B2-1mg, B3-50mg, and B6-10mg; Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate)-100mg; my own mock-estroban: Vitamin D-3000mg, Vitamin K2-2mg, Dry E-100iu; a speck of Theanine-10mg, to help with allergic reactions; and lastly, about 50mg taurine, to help with sleep. For the most part, many of these would be considered low doses, which I do due to my hyper-sensitive body. Even so, I did have palpitations yesterday as well.

I realize there is are so many variables, but always worth a shot at posting. Thanks.

I know this is an old thread, but that study that found thiamine ameliorated the palpitations to thyroid is what caught my eye. My only supplement today was 40 mg of thiamine and I had an episode of palpitations.

I am extremely sensitive to supplements, and in an effort to fine-tune my supps and determine what is doing what, I purposely only took thiamine today (40mg), with the objective of seeing if it helps with oxygen/air hunger, as well as being able to watch for any side effects. My main complaint is that I had heart palpitations about 6.5 hours after taking it. After reading that study that states it should help against this, it leaves me a bit frustrated. Maybe too much N.O.? If I'm remembering correctly, it could raise that.

For reference, yesterday, over 24 hrs earlier, I did take a handful of supplements: my own mock-energin: B1-20mg, B2-1mg, B3-50mg, and B6-10mg; Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate)-100mg; my own mock-estroban: Vitamin D-3000mg, Vitamin K2-2mg, Dry E-100iu; a speck of Theanine-10mg, to help with allergic reactions; and lastly, about 50mg taurine, to help with sleep. For the most part, many of these would be considered low doses, which I do due to my hyper-sensitive body. Even so, I did have palpitations yesterday as well.

I realize there is are so many variables, but always worth a shot at posting. Thanks.

Depending on context, thyroid, or the pro-thyroid susbtances can raise adrenaline, which I would guess is behind your palpitations. My suggestion would be to cut back on supplements even further, and try and find the combination that doesn't cause you relatively immediate side-effects.

Mossy

Depending on context, thyroid, or the pro-thyroid susbtances can raise adrenaline, which I would guess is behind your palpitations. My suggestion would be to cut back on supplements even further, and try and find the combination that doesn't cause you relatively immediate side-effects.
I appreciate the reply. I think that is good advice. I was starting that, by only using thiamine yesterday, but I have a feeling with having taken so many other supplements 24 hrs earlier, they may have contributed to the palpitations as well. So, I'll cut back and slowing build up, looking for effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals