Complex dhea prostate pregnenolone advice needed

JohnGLASGOW

Hi I am 35 year old male from scotland uk . I have very severe health issues including ME/CFS, severe gut issues , heavy metal poisoning among others.

I have until recently been a long term (many years) user of DHEA which helped me feel much better , however within days of using it all those years ago , there were some i guess estrogen symptoms(i read that is common?) such as testicular atrophy and worsened libido ,and worryingly enlarged slight balloon like feeling in prostate which has been so for all these years . it has not got worse . however , dhea made me FEEL a LOT better in many symptoms so it has been a key part of my weaponry against these hideous illnesses .

I am very sick and my hormones must have already been messed before (for dhea to convert wrongly I assume) . I recently stopped taking it and I feel god awful worse off it . my testicles feel fuller but nothing else feels as it was pre- being on dhea for all these years. everything else has not gone back (full libido , penile sensitivity etc ,prostate same , facial hair gone to even weaker as was pre dhea)

I have no idea what to do next, here in scotland and uk there is not doctors who dabble in dhea and pregnenolone etc etc. I am very experienced in being sick and know in theory the important things to fix , gut , the heavy metal issues etc, however I am in such a severe state this very hard to fix due to many complications , but of course I try .

I want to try maybe , hcg ?? 7-keto dhea?? (apparently does not convert to either??), pregnenolone ? I am obviously very worried about taking something that could enlarge my prostate

my sex hormones are all in range (blood test) , however my facial hair is very weak for years (weirdly it improved on dhea, even though had other estrogen like symptoms - is this some key sign of something ? ) so I must clearly have low t or some issue due to the heavy metals .

I must admit I do not know much of thyroid other than a "normal" test result not mean necessarily so . I have no knowledgeable doctor on this

ultimately I just want to feel the very missed benefits dhea was giving me safely . enlarged prostate, steroid abuse side effects are obviously very distressing. . I have spoken with many others in uk who are stuck in same situation of dhea helping yet clearly doing some problematic conversions I know people with ME, MS, who take it but agonise over the help vs the issues it causes .

have tried calcium glucarate-did nothing

tried dim , not noticed anything

tried vitamin d and k2 (still on) help non related things noticeably . magnesium other things

I want some guided help from a doctor who genuinely knows about this stuff , I have been horrifically ill for many a year and with the prostate swelling am wary of course (no disrespect intended) to just read a thread and try something potentially dangerous . Is there any doctors on here who can help ? I have never mentioned prostate issues to my normal doctor here, as they simply not familiar with any of dhea etc etc let alone heavy metals and the impact, and would simply stay cease taking it. even though it was a big help in how I felt.

I would really appreciate some guidance advice pointer anything. I am in a horrifically bad way and stopped the dhea due to the long term worries . from what I can seee , hcg, 7-keto dhea, pregnenolone ,are my main options ? but google is awash with scare stories. seems testo replacement is frowned upon mostly on here?

I don't know what to do or what doctor to turn to so many options , of mentioned above, cream, oil , drops , of dhea , 7 keto., pregnenolone etc etc etc

_ edit - the dhea dosage all those years ago was 10mg daily a few days gave the very alarming side effects , then changed to 5 mg which improved the side effects , then gradually been weaning down and on just 1mg every few days for last few years,which was enough to keep the benefits of the dhea while limiting the potential harm . but the bulk of the side effects remained despite the lowering of dose.

thank you for any help

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Hi I am 35 year old male from scotland uk . I have very severe health issues including ME/CFS, severe gut issues , heavy metal poisoning among others.

I have until recently been a long term (many years) user of DHEA which helped me feel much better , however within days of using it all those years ago , there were some i guess estrogen symptoms(i read that is common?) such as testicular atrophy and worsened libido ,and worryingly enlarged slight balloon like feeling in prostate which has been so for all these years . it has not got worse . however , dhea made me FEEL a LOT better in many symptoms so it has been a key part of my weaponry against these hideous illnesses .

I am very sick and my hormones must have already been messed before (for dhea to convert wrongly I assume) . I recently stopped taking it and I feel god awful worse off it . my testicles feel fuller but nothing else feels as it was pre- being on dhea for all these years. everything else has not gone back (full libido , penile sensitivity etc ,prostate same , facial hair gone to even weaker as was pre dhea)

I have no idea what to do next, here in scotland and uk there is not doctors who dabble in dhea and pregnenolone etc etc. I am very experienced in being sick and know in theory the important things to fix , gut , the heavy metal issues etc, however I am in such a severe state this very hard to fix due to many complications , but of course I try .

I want to try maybe , hcg ?? 7-keto dhea?? (apparently does not convert to either??), pregnenolone ? I am obviously very worried about taking something that could enlarge my prostate

my sex hormones are all in range (blood test) , however my facial hair is very weak for years (weirdly it improved on dhea, even though had other estrogen like symptoms - is this some key sign of something ? ) so I must clearly have low t or some issue due to the heavy metals .

I must admit I do not know much of thyroid other than a "normal" test result not mean necessarily so . I have no knowledgeable doctor on this

ultimately I just want to feel the very missed benefits dhea was giving me safely . enlarged prostate, steroid abuse side effects are obviously very distressing. . I have spoken with many others in uk who are stuck in same situation of dhea helping yet clearly doing some problematic conversions I know people with ME, MS, who take it but agonise over the help vs the issues it causes .

tried vitamin d and k2 (still on) help non related things noticeably . magnesium other things

I want some guided help from a doctor who genuinely knows about this stuff , I have been horrifically ill for many a year and with the prostate swelling am wary of course (no disrespect intended) to just read a thread and try something potentially dangerous . Is there any doctors on here who can help ? I have never mentioned prostate issues to my normal doctor here, as they simply not familiar with any of dhea etc etc let alone heavy metals and the impact, and would simply stay cease taking it. even though it was a big help in how I felt.

I would really appreciate some guidance advice pointer anything. I am in a horrifically bad way and stopped the dhea due to the long term worries . from what I can seee , hcg, 7-keto dhea, pregnenolone ,are my main options ? but google is awash with scare stories. seems testo replacement is frowned upon mostly on here?

I don't know what to do or what doctor to turn to so many options , of mentioned above, cream, oil , drops , of dhea , 7 keto., pregnenolone etc etc etc

_ edit - the dhea dosage all those years ago was 10mg daily a few days gave the very alarming side effects , then changed to 5 mg which improved the side effects , then gradually been weaning down and on just 1mg every few days for last few years,which was enough to keep the benefits of the dhea while limiting the potential harm . but the bulk of the side effects remained despite the lowering of dose.

thank you for any help
You have numerous symptoms. I've had some of them, specifically the CFS and heavy metal toxicity. I have found great benefit from taking high dose thiamine hcl. There is research showing great improvement for CFS via high dose thiamine. I found a lot of information on Dr. Costantini's site: HDT Therapy. Spend a little time and read some of his papers here: Published Study Articles, especially this one: High-dose thiamine improves the symptoms of fibromyalgia . I have read where Dr. Lonsdale believes that high dose thiamine therapy will help the body get rid of heavy metals; I hope he's right. I do feel a lot better.

I have never taken DHEA because Ray Peat said that taking pregnenolone will optimize your DHEA level without the possibility of converting to estrogen. I have found that to be true via blood testing. Here is a search engine to use to search Ray Peat's articles: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the cell on the left. Search for Pregnenolone and whatever else you please. I have taken pregnenolone for six years. I recently became very ill due to a thiamine functional blockage from taking the antibiotic Bactrim and I have been recovering from it by taking high dose thiamine hcl (it's working). A few weeks ago I doubled my dose of pregnenolone to about 1/2 teaspoon of the bulk powder. I noticed additional immediate improvement.

I hope you find this helpful.

mostlylurking

thank you for any help
I found some information about heavy metals Chelation Therapy in Medicine - Hormones Matter. Please read.

In addition to chelation therapy, it discusses thiamine and also copper.

snippet: "It was concluded however that thiamine, even by itself, does increase lead excretion via bile and urine, a beneficial effect that has not been followed up since. The influence of dietary protein deficiency on the effects of exposure to lead or its combination with copper was investigated in rats. The simultaneous supplementation of copper reduced some of the lead-induced alterations and body uptake of lead more efficiently in animals fed a normal diet than in those fed a protein-deficient diet. Note that a small amount of copper and a healthy protein intake in the diet appear to protect the body from the harmful effects of lead, enhancing again the importance of diet in preventive medicine."

Chelation therapy is expensive and controversial. I have had well over 120 IV chelation treatments over the past 30 years. It helped me a lot. However, the last time I got EDTA treatments I got really sick and wound up with rheumatoid arthritis so I quit halfway through.

I get copper from eating oysters once a week. I supplement with high dose thiamine hcl. I'm hopeful that these two things with help with my lead poisoning.

OP
J

JohnGLASGOW

I found some information about heavy metals Chelation Therapy in Medicine - Hormones Matter. Please read.

In addition to chelation therapy, it discusses thiamine and also copper.

snippet: "It was concluded however that thiamine, even by itself, does increase lead excretion via bile and urine, a beneficial effect that has not been followed up since. The influence of dietary protein deficiency on the effects of exposure to lead or its combination with copper was investigated in rats. The simultaneous supplementation of copper reduced some of the lead-induced alterations and body uptake of lead more efficiently in animals fed a normal diet than in those fed a protein-deficient diet. Note that a small amount of copper and a healthy protein intake in the diet appear to protect the body from the harmful effects of lead, enhancing again the importance of diet in preventive medicine."

Chelation therapy is expensive and controversial. I have had well over 120 IV chelation treatments over the past 30 years. It helped me a lot. However, the last time I got EDTA treatments I got really sick and wound up with rheumatoid arthritis so I quit halfway through.

I get copper from eating oysters once a week. I supplement with high dose thiamine hcl. I'm hopeful that these two things with help with my lead poisoning.
thank you very much for the info . Is so much contrasting and confusing stuff on this site in threads. I am certainly not a newbie to being chronic sick and all the accompanying areas to look at/ battle with etc but was hoping was some clearer methods of what to do or not with regards male hormones etc. I also seeing stuff about vitamin a , and e , being great / needed/ problematic /minimise .

is there no doctors, who were maybe trained by him , that are out there , available for consults? Because of the level of my brain issues I could really use somebody with the required knowledge to steer me rather than needing to dig through huge amount of info and figure it out . I know that is how it works and have done that for many many years but my brain cannot cope with these days . I don't want to make glaring mistakes / damage things further with prostate . thanks for the info it looks promising (the thiamine ) .

mostlylurking

thank you very much for the info . Is so much contrasting and confusing stuff on this site in threads. I am certainly not a newbie to being chronic sick and all the accompanying areas to look at/ battle with etc but was hoping was some clearer methods of what to do or not with regards male hormones etc. I also seeing stuff about vitamin a , and e , being great / needed/ problematic /minimise .

is there no doctors, who were maybe trained by him , that are out there , available for consults? Because of the level of my brain issues I could really use somebody with the required knowledge to steer me rather than needing to dig through huge amount of info and figure it out . I know that is how it works and have done that for many many years but my brain cannot cope with these days . I don't want to make glaring mistakes / damage things further with prostate . thanks for the info it looks promising (the thiamine ) .
I provided the two search engines to you on the Newbie thread, I have found these to be very helpful.

Here they are again if others are interested:
for Ray Peat articles: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the search cell on the left.
for Ray Peat interviews: Ray Peat Search type your search word into the cell, wait a minute or two; a list of links appear of interviews, pick one.

I understand exactly what you are saying about brain issues; been there, done that. When I started studying Ray Peat I was very sick with rheumatoid arthritis and lead poisoning. I prayed for guidance. I centered myself. I picked an article and printed it out. I reformatted the article to be two columns before printing because I could not get my eyes to track all the way across the page. Two columns are much easier. I read each article at least 7-8 times, maybe more. I marked them up and made notes on the borders. I used a steno pad to write down the things I believed would help me. I bought some supplements according to my written notes. I took them (that's important). I drastically changed my diet. I purged my pantry. I stopped eating away from home. I got better. It took a few months.

I also found a competent 84 year old endocrinologist who optimized my thyroid medication. He changed the brand (from Armour to Acella - both are prescription pharmaceutical grade natural desiccated thyroid) and doubled the dose over a period of 9 months. If you are hypothyroid, this step is key. If I had not read all of Ray Peat's articles on hypothyroidism I would not have been confident enough to keep pushing the doctor for more thyroid medication. I had learned how to interpret the bloodwork you see.

I avoided this forum for 5-6 years because it appeared to me that a lot of people posting had no clue what they were writing about. After I had a firm grip of Ray Peat's work I started to post more frequently.

You will have better luck trying a "functional medicine" doctor or an "orthomolecular medicine" doctor than an MD; see here: Welcome To Orthomolecular.org . However, you must not simply surrender yourself to one of them. You need to arm yourself by learning as much as you can. I have learned that if I am getting opposing views from two sources I am safer if I go with Ray Peat's opinion. I trust him.

If you will supplement with a little thiamine hcl, your ability to retain information will improve. A good b-complex is a good idea too. Here are my sources:
thiamine hcl: Thiamine HCl (Vitamin B1)
b-complex: B-Complex Plus (there's no excipients).

Last edited:

redspy

Have you tried stopping gluten? That has done a world of improvement in my life. Most don't think they are gluten intolerant because of two rules:
1. When you stop gluten, you gotta stop 100%. Not almost, not occasional binge on cookies. Cut it out completely and without a trace of that sh*t in your kitchen.
2. You have to use rule 1. for at least 1 month to start seeing first improvement signs.
If you haven't tried gluten free yet, you can and will thank me later.?

OP
J

JohnGLASGOW

hi pal yeah quit it no difference at all really but that due to complex other stuff

redspy

hi pal yeah quit it no difference at all really but that due to complex other stuff
Ок,if you quit gluten for at least a month and seeing no diff, then there's only one other thing to try: a liver flush. There's many references on how to do it all with their own unique details. I suggest you find podcasts of a chiropractor Dr. Sutter, look em up on oneradionetwork. There was a time these flushes were keeping me on rails. I don't know where I would have been without em.

Vileplume

Hey @JohnGLASGOW, how familiar would you say you are with Peat's work? His whole paradigm focuses on improving metabolic and thyroid health, which includes hormonal health.

What's your diet like? Do you know your temperature and pulse rate? Cholesterol level?

OP
J

JohnGLASGOW

Hey @JohnGLASGOW, how familiar would you say you are with Peat's work? His whole paradigm focuses on improving metabolic and thyroid health, which includes hormonal health.

What's your diet like? Do you know your temperature and pulse rate? Cholesterol level?
no idea , but am still struggling to find his work in a summarised form without it being an endless mountain of ever changing information ha

Vileplume

no idea , but am still struggling to find his work in a summarised form without it being an endless mountain of ever changing information ha
Yeah I get that. Body temperature and pulse rate would be a good place to start, because these give a snapshot of your metabolic rate and energy production. If you have an oral thermometer and an app on your phone for heart rate, you can take those measurements when you wake up in the morning, then after breakfast. Ideally your waking temperature will be around 98.0F, rising to 98.6F (37.0C) above during the day.

As for diet, the basics include:
-minimizing PUFA
-including ample calcium
-including ample other minerals and vitamins, through fruit and animal protein
-including enough sugar or carbohydrate in your diet, ideally through fruit, dairy, honey, tolerated starches, and then table sugar if necessary.

Here’s a good video with a more approachable introduction to Peat.

View: https://youtu.be/96AFY50-J4A

I hope this helps. His ideas really do work. Keep researching more of his ideas, through YouTube and his website, and you will find plenty to improve your health.

Callmestar

Interesting you say taking DHEA led to an enlarged prostate. I have very high - out of range DHEA naturally, without supplementation, and i'm not sure why other than maybe the adrenals overworking in general and also producing high DHEA. At around the time I discovered I had high DHEA, I developed an enlarged prostate and what doctors think is prostatitis, yet antibiotics don't seem to help.
I'm unsure what can do done about this currently and I still have the problem but thought it's an interesting link in regards to us both developing enlarged prostate while on / having high DHEA.

I’ve been taking DHEA for years in 5 to 15mg per day. My prostate is perfect and my estrone and prolactin are great. I always take progesterone and I don’t take too much DHEA. I think it’s amazing. My DHEA and DHEA-sulphate is lowish normal btw.

Interesting you say taking DHEA led to an enlarged prostate. I have very high - out of range DHEA naturally, without supplementation, and i'm not sure why other than maybe the adrenals overworking in general and also producing high DHEA. At around the time I discovered I had high DHEA, I developed an enlarged prostate and what doctors think is prostatitis, yet antibiotics don't seem to help.
I'm unsure what can do done about this currently and I still have the problem but thought it's an interesting link in regards to us both developing enlarged prostate while on / having high DHEA.

get a device like aneros and do prostate massage. It will probably fix the issue within a few weeks.

Callmestar

there is lots. Their medically site is high island but it’s the same product. There is a small Columbia university study showing it works. It’s works great. And it’s fun.

Used a product to attempt to stimulate the prostate for the first time today. A similar shape to Aneros just a different brand. I'm unsure how I actually know if I'm hitting the prostate or not. I know where abouts it is but I don't feel any stimulation in that area, unless I was missing it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals