Pregnenolone and DHEA.

mostlylurking

Are you taking dhea and pregnenolone?
I take pregnenolone but not dhea. The last time I had my dhea checked it was very good; the doctor was surprised because he did not know that pregnenolone can normalize dhea (per Ray Peat's writing).

Motorneuron

I take pregnenolone but not dhea. The last time I had my dhea checked it was very good; the doctor was surprised because he did not know that pregnenolone can normalize dhea (per Ray Peat's writing).
Correct me if I'm wrong are you a 72 year old female? How did you beat rheumatoid arthritis? Did your bones burst after a moment of stillness? Thank you!

mostlylurking

Correct me if I'm wrong are you a 72 year old female? How did you beat rheumatoid arthritis? Did your bones burst after a moment of stillness? Thank you!
I'm female, 73 years old. I was 64 when I came down with rheumatoid arthritis.

The rheumatoid arthritis struck me in 2014, in the middle of getting chelated for lead poisoning (40 EDTA IVs were prescribed, I did 20 and got sick). I found Ray Peat's work. I went on his recommended foods and avoided PUFA. I found a different endocrinologist, changed thyroid prescription brands (from Armour to Acella) and doubled the dose to 180mg/day over about 6 months time. I went on a vitamin supplement program I put together from reading Ray Peat's articles which included thiamine, niacinamide, magnesium glycinate, riboflavin, progesterone, pregnenolone, biotin, small dose of b6 (10mg). The thyroid and thiamine were key; they normalized my oxidative metabolism.

Motorneuron

I'm female, 73 years old. I was 64 when I came down with rheumatoid arthritis.

The rheumatoid arthritis struck me in 2014, in the middle of getting chelated for lead poisoning (40 EDTA IVs were prescribed, I did 20 and got sick). I found Ray Peat's work. I went on his recommended foods and avoided PUFA. I found a different endocrinologist, changed thyroid prescription brands (from Armour to Acella) and doubled the dose to 180mg/day over about 6 months time. I went on a vitamin supplement program I put together from reading Ray Peat's articles which included thiamine, niacinamide, magnesium glycinate, riboflavin, progesterone, pregnenolone, biotin, small dose of b6 (10mg). The thyroid and thiamine were key; they normalized my oxidative metabolism.
Interesting, so YOU THINK that regulating/correcting oxidative metabolism was the key to resolving your arthritis...but you don't know exactly where the weak link in the chain was. I don't think that every single pathology can always have the same cause otherwise we will be programmed robots, but probably upstream there is always an energetic/mitochondrial dysfunction which then conditions the various paths around inside the DNA/RNA/Methylation.. . just my reasoning 😊👍. It always counts the big picture and little details ... however congratulations.

mostlylurking

I always thought NP Thyroid got discontinued recently due to discrepancies in the stated dosages when measured?
The Powers That Be continuously harass Acella; it's an ongoing constant thing. They really hate it when something actually works. Acella makes a good product.

I like their product very much. Their customer support is excellent.

mgrabs

The Powers That Be continuously harass Acella; it's an ongoing constant thing. They really hate it when something actually works. Acella makes a good product.

Can this help when someone is hypo but running on stress/adrenaline hotmones?

mostlylurking

Interesting, so YOU THINK that regulating/correcting oxidative metabolism was the key to resolving your arthritis..
My belief that optimizing oxidative metabolism is key to recovering from chronic illness is enforced by my own experiences. I'm certainly not alone in believing this concept. Here's some links for your consideration:

...but you don't know exactly where the weak link in the chain was.
I'm pretty sure I do know exactly where my own personal weak link in the chain is. I have lead poisoning. Lead poisoning consumes/inactivates the body's thiamine stores. High dosing thiamine counteracts the symptoms of lead poisoning. This is a big part of my own personal health journey. Thiamine deficiency, caused by the lead poisoning, is probably what damaged my thyroid and caused my hypothyroidism. However the hypothyroidism wasn't helped by my diet (PUFA) and it was for sure exacerbated by my estrogen dominance which was caused by getting a tubal ligation when I was 28.
I don't think that every single pathology can always have the same cause otherwise we will be programmed robots, but probably upstream there is always an energetic/mitochondrial dysfunction which then conditions the various paths around inside the DNA/RNA/Methylation.. . just my reasoning 😊👍. It always counts the big picture and little details ... however congratulations.
I disagree. DNA/RNA/Methylation are all affected by oxidative metabolism.

Can this help when someone is hypo but running on stress/adrenaline hotmones?
I think so. Running on stress/adrenaline is the body's attempt to work around poor oxidative metabolism. Focus on learning about oxidative metabolism.
Ray Peat, PhD on Low Blood Sugar & Stress Reaction – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Adrenalin gets activated when your blood sugar gets low. A healthy liver is key to stable blood sugar. The liver needs thiamine to function. All the organs need ATP to function; thyroid and thiamine are required to make ATP.

mostlylurking

mgrabs

My belief that optimizing oxidative metabolism is key to recovering from chronic illness is enforced by my own experiences. I'm certainly not alone in believing this concept. Here's some links for your consideration:

I'm pretty sure I do know exactly where my own personal weak link in the chain is. I have lead poisoning. Lead poisoning consumes/inactivates the body's thiamine stores. High dosing thiamine counteracts the symptoms of lead poisoning. This is a big part of my own personal health journey. Thiamine deficiency, caused by the lead poisoning, is probably what damaged my thyroid and caused my hypothyroidism. However the hypothyroidism wasn't helped by my diet (PUFA) and it was for sure exacerbated by my estrogen dominance which was caused by getting a tubal ligation when I was 28.

I disagree. DNA/RNA/Methylation are all affected by oxidative metabolism.

I think so. Running on stress/adrenaline is the body's attempt to work around poor oxidative metabolism. Focus on learning about oxidative metabolism.
Ray Peat, PhD on Low Blood Sugar & Stress Reaction – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Adrenalin gets activated when your blood sugar gets low. A healthy liver is key to stable blood sugar. The liver needs thiamine to function. All the organs need ATP to function; thyroid and thiamine are required to make ATP.
Would the body be better adapting to t4 only first to lessen the burden on increased energy? & later on introduce t3 with it?

mostlylurking

Would the body be better adapting to t4 only first to lessen the burden on increased energy? & later on introduce t3 with it?
No. The liver needs T3 to convert the inactive T4 into the active T3. T3 "primes the pump". If you are female or male and older than, say, 50 then your estrogen level will lug the liver down (busy detoxing estrogen) so it is unable to convert T4 to T3. Only young healthy men can do well on only T4 supplementation.

mgrabs

No. The liver needs T3 to convert the inactive T4 into the active T3. T3 "primes the pump". If you are female or male and older than, say, 50 then your estrogen level will lug the liver down (busy detoxing estrogen) so it is unable to convert T4 to T3. Only young healthy men can do well on only T4 supplementation.
Luckily for me i am a 27 yr old male. BUT i just started 50mcg of tirosint which is the cleanest T4 on the market. I tried combination 2 months ago and the anxiety and adrenaline was too much for me. Which stinks cause i want that active form in the morning to get me going

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Luckily for me i am a 27 yr old male. BUT i just started 50mcg of tirosint which is the cleanest T4 on the market. I tried combination 2 months ago and the anxiety and adrenaline was too much for me. Which stinks cause i want that active form in the morning to get me going
Maybe you took too much?

mostlylurking

Idk ! I was started on a grain.
Even right now I’m on 50mcg of t4 and its been 2 weeks I already want to drop the dose!

Its tough to figure out if this means I’m undermedicated or over
I'm a big believer in seeking the help of a good endocrinologist who will prescribe natural desiccated thyroid. This is tricky and if you get it wrong you can give yourself heart palpitations. Bloodwork on a regular basis (every 6-8 weeks) is needed because the dose needs to be increased slowly over some time because the body needs to acclimate to it. It took from February - December of 2015 for me to get on my optimum dose and then when I went on high dose thiamine hcl (in 2020) my dose of thyroid needed to be lowered, from 180mg down to 135mg because my T3 got dangerously high.

Reading Ray Peat's articles about thyroid (start here) and also reading Broda Barnes's book on hypothyroidism would be helpful.

mgrabs

I'm a big believer in seeking the help of a good endocrinologist who will prescribe natural desiccated thyroid. This is tricky and if you get it wrong you can give yourself heart palpitations. Bloodwork on a regular basis (every 6-8 weeks) is needed because the dose needs to be increased slowly over some time because the body needs to acclimate to it. It took from February - December of 2015 for me to get on my optimum dose and then when I went on high dose thiamine hcl (in 2020) my dose of thyroid needed to be lowered, from 180mg down to 135mg because my T3 got dangerously high.

Reading Ray Peat's articles about thyroid (start here) and also reading Broda Barnes's book on hypothyroidism would be helpful.
I was with one! I started on 15mg NP thyroid and it was too much for me (so i assumed) Tried 30mg & a full grain and it still felt like too much. But im wondering if im mistaking these symtoms as being undermedicated? I should have just stuck it out. Is a grain a better starting dose?

My TSH is 3.5
T4: 1.1
T3 3.3
Reverse T3: 15

Waking temp is 96.5

golder

Thanks for this. I always had great results with NP Thyroid but my online source stopped selling it. Prescriptions are a nightmare in the UK. Does anyone know a way to get hold of NP Thyroid?

mgrabs

Thanks for this. I always had great results with NP Thyroid but my online source stopped selling it. Prescriptions are a nightmare in the UK. Does anyone know a way to get hold of NP Thyroid?
You never had adrenaline like spikes while taking it? & did your start at a high enough dose of NP back in the day? Just curious..

mostlylurking

I was with one! I started on 15mg NP thyroid and it was too much for me (so i assumed) Tried 30mg & a full grain and it still felt like too much. But im wondering if im mistaking these symtoms as being undermedicated? I should have just stuck it out. Is a grain a better starting dose?

My TSH is 3.5
T4: 1.1
T3 3.3
Reverse T3: 15

Waking temp is 96.5
You may have other issues in addition to (or instead of) hypothyroidism. I know from personal experience that symptoms of thiamine deficiency and symptoms of hypothyroidism have many similarities. Both block oxidative metabolism so it makes sense that some symptoms are identical.

Your TSH is very high. Your reverse T3 seems to be high too. I really can't tell without the "normal" ranges from the test you took; can you provide them?

Waking temp is low but could be normal; it depends on what happens when you eat breakfast.

When I got my thiamine function blocked in 2020, I could not get my temperature above 97.6 even in the afternoon. I hurt all over from lactic acidosis, I had severe brain fog, and my pulse was very erratic (all over the place). I had these symptoms while I was taking 180 mg of NP Thyroid (Acella). I got my thyroid bloodwork done 2 months early because I thought that I had gotten hold of a bad batch of the thyroid med. The test results showed my T3 to be dangerously high and my doctor lowered the dose. I tried taking about 300mg of thiamine hcl; within 45 minutes, my temperature went up a full degree, my head cleared, and all the pain disappeared.

mgrabs

You may have other issues in addition to (or instead of) hypothyroidism. I know from personal experience that symptoms of thiamine deficiency and symptoms of hypothyroidism have many similarities. Both block oxidative metabolism so it makes sense that some symptoms are identical.

Your TSH is very high. Your reverse T3 seems to be high too. I really can't tell without the "normal" ranges from the test you took; can you provide them?

Waking temp is low but could be normal; it depends on what happens when you eat breakfast.

When I got my thiamine function blocked in 2020, I could not get my temperature above 97.6 even in the afternoon. I hurt all over from lactic acidosis, I had severe brain fog, and my pulse was very erratic (all over the place). I had these symptoms while I was taking 180 mg of NP Thyroid (Acella). I got my thyroid bloodwork done 2 months early because I thought that I had gotten hold of a bad batch of the thyroid med. The test results showed my T3 to be dangerously high and my doctor lowered the dose. I tried taking about 300mg of thiamine hcl; within 45 minutes, my temperature went up a full degree, my head cleared, and all the pain disappeared.
Really feels like harsh adrenal fatigue. Low energy, mood, desensitization towards life etc.

Im not overweight either.

27 year old male 6’4 200 lbs

Im low in thiamine i believe.
Ill attach photos of my recent blood tests showing Thyroid & seperate tests for micronutrient

Attachments

• 2C1BB94A-3A98-4675-9521-A4123A3029B9.png
    2C1BB94A-3A98-4675-9521-A4123A3029B9.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 368BC383-627A-4FAB-9455-10FA52E0847A.jpeg
    368BC383-627A-4FAB-9455-10FA52E0847A.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 13
  • FFA4DB7D-00D4-44D4-B340-C76E41B1FF64.jpeg
    FFA4DB7D-00D4-44D4-B340-C76E41B1FF64.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 726136FF-AA7A-4402-986D-BE387D8BD37A.jpeg
    726136FF-AA7A-4402-986D-BE387D8BD37A.jpeg