Interested in the less common hormones e.g. Pregenolone, DHEA - does suppression occur? Understanding Ray's essay

Dr. B

Ofc, why would it be an issue?
your article said carbs have to be 2:1 with protein
thats why mate im asking what if carbs are 3:2 with protein which is like 1.5:1 carbs to protein, lower than the 2:1 ratio

Hans

Forum Supporter
your article said carbs have to be 2:1 with protein
thats why mate im asking what if carbs are 3:2 with protein which is like 1.5:1 carbs to protein, lower than the 2:1 ratio
2:1 is a suggestion. Not a religious rule.

Makrosky

"Think of something funny or try to see the funny in the situation. If it seems impossible, try harder."

lol!! that made me laugh @Hans. Very true and very easy to forget.

Hans

Forum Supporter
"Think of something funny or try to see the funny in the situation. If it seems impossible, try harder."

lol!! that made me laugh @Hans. Very true and very easy to forget.
Lol good one. I forgot about that so it's good to be reminded.
Very interesting article. Why the Vitamin K on the iodine protocol btw? @Hans
Vitamin K2 MK4 promotes testosterone production. Vit K2 increases osteocalcin, which has beneficial effects on the adrenal system, gonadal system, nervous system, bone, etc.

Makrosky

Lol good one. I forgot about that so it's good to be reminded.

Vitamin K2 MK4 promotes testosterone production. Vit K2 increases osteocalcin, which has beneficial effects on the adrenal system, gonadal system, nervous system, bone, etc.
Ah! Thanks! Alright. I thought it had some kind of unique synergy with iodine.

sun-maid

It won't lower your T necessarily. Some experience an increase in T whereas other might experience a slight decrease.
Peat argues that prog promotes its own synthesis.

I'm currently doing very high dose prog (in the hundreds of mg per day) and honestly, I think my beard is growing faster... I feel like its thinning my hair really fast tho. So strange

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm currently doing very high dose prog (in the hundreds of mg per day) and honestly, I think my beard is growing faster... I feel like its thinning my hair really fast tho. So strange
Bread and hair growth is highly dependent on ATP production, so progesterone is most likely boosting your mitochondrial function.

Dr. B

Bread and hair growth is highly dependent on ATP production, so progesterone is most likely boosting your mitochondrial function.
dont many people have the issue of decent/acceptable beard hair growth but thinning scalp hair? is it excess dht causing this effect. like that sun-maid person mentioned

sun-maid

dont many people have the issue of decent/acceptable beard hair growth but thinning scalp hair? is it excess dht causing this effect. like that sun-maid person mentioned

I highly doubt its DHT since I'm taking progesterone. Also, my body hair is thinning a little bit but my beard grows faster, my eyebrow hair too are getting thicker. I take it as a good sign but I really dont know.

Dr. B

I highly doubt its DHT since I'm taking progesterone. Also, my body hair is thinning a little bit but my beard grows faster, my eyebrow hair too are getting thicker. I take it as a good sign but I really dont know.
ah what about scalp hair?
body hair thinning is good, apparently faster metabolism increases scalp hair and beard hair (maybe eyebrow hair not sure) and decreases body hair. the body hairs increase with hypothyroidism, to attempt to increase body heat. I gained body hair and chest/shoulder hairs when my metabolism slowed down...

sun-maid

ah what about scalp hair?
body hair thinning is good, apparently faster metabolism increases scalp hair and beard hair (maybe eyebrow hair not sure) and decreases body hair. the body hairs increase with hypothyroidism, to attempt to increase body heat. I gained body hair and chest/shoulder hairs when my metabolism slowed down...

I dont know, it seems its shedding a lot. maybe the old and weak hair are falling. It's hard to tell since I shaved not too long ago. My body temp is so hot that I really doubt I'm going in the wrong direction from a Peat perspective.

Fllora

I hear a lot about the 3 youth hormones - Pregnenolone, Progesterone, DHEA - and have some questions about supplementing with them. Been trying to wrap my head around Ray's essay here: Progesterone Pregnenolone & DHEA - Three Youth-Associated Hormones

Main question: does taking Pregnenolone and/or DHEA (my understanding is men would benefit from those two mostly) suppress the body's own natural production of said hormones?

Anyone who's done a bit of research into bodybuilding and steroids (e.g. synthetic testosterone) knows that taking exogeneous T for example will suppress the body's internal production of said hormone. I've also read about steroid users having shrunken testes... yikes lol.

Pregnenolone is interesting because it's upstream of a lot of hormone production, but moreso, might not have this effect? Here's a passage from the essay above:

"Pregnenolone is largely converted into two other "youth-associated" protective hormones, progesterone and DHEA. At the age of 30, both men and women produce roughly 30 to 50 mg. of pregnenolone daily. When taken orally, even in the powdered form, it is absorbed fairly well. One dose of approximately 300 mg (the size of an aspirin tablet) keeps acting for about a week, as absorption continues along the intestine, and as it is "recycled" in the body. Part of this long lasting effect is because it improves the body's ability to produce its own pregnenolone. It tends to improve function of the thyroid and other glands, and this "normalizing" effect on the other glands helps to account for its wide range of beneficial effects."

OK so if I'm understanding that correctly, this has a positive-feedback effect, as opposed to the Testosterone mentioned above which would have a negative-feedback effect.

Is that correct? That would be really great because it's something that, if you forget or just stop taking, you've still benefitted at least transiently from when you were taking it. So if I understand that right, this seems like a fantastic substance to take. And being upstream of everything it seems likely it would improve any adult's overall hormone profiles.

Or maybe I've misunderstood..? Basically I'm trying to research other types of hormone supplementation that would be beneficial and not have you become "shut down".

Input appreciated :)
This thread has had a lot of input since your original post, but I found it because I just reread the same RP article, and I find it confusing. He seems to tout DHEA, saying that "At the age of 50, about 4 mg. of DHEA per day will usually restore the level of DHEA in the blood to a youthful level." but then
"People who have taken an excess of DHEA have been found to have abnormally high estrogen levels, and this can cause the liver to enlarge, and the thymus to shrink" and in the last paragraph we learn that it is the only hormone in excess in the brains of deceased Alzheimer's patients and it would be better to get DHEA from Pregnenolone and thyroid. This seems contradictory to me. Then there's IdeaLabs' 3/1 CortiNon Progesterone/DHEA. Hmm.

OP
A

AnonE

I'm just curious if there's actual studies showing that suppression does not occur from Preg/DHEA. Some people have given their opinion but I'd be interested in something a little more substantive.

sunny

^^^ """This thread has had a lot of input since your original post, but I found it because I just reread the same RP article, and I find it confusing. He seems to tout DHEA, saying that "At the age of 50, about 4 mg. of DHEA per day will usually restore the level of DHEA in the blood to a youthful level." but then
"People who have taken an excess of DHEA have been found to have abnormally high estrogen levels, and this can cause the liver to enlarge, and the thymus to shrink" and in the last paragraph we learn that it is the only hormone in excess in the brains of deceased Alzheimer's patients and it would be better to get DHEA from Pregnenolone and thyroid. This seems contradictory to me. Then there's IdeaLabs' 3/1 CortiNon Progesterone/DHEA. Hmm."""

^^^^^^^
Agree, confusing to navigate. And also the cortinon+ now as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals