One-Minute Bursts of Activity During Daily Tasks Could Prolong Your Life

Mito

Summary: Three to four one-minute bouts of vigorous physical activity a day, such as running for a bus or walking fast to complete tasks reduces the risk of all-cause and cancer-related death by 40%, and a 49% reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
Just three bursts of huffing and puffing during daily chores are as good for you as playing sports or going to the gym. They slash the risk of developing cancer, cardiovascular disease, and any other life-threatening illness, according to scientists from the University of Sydney.”

joaquin

HIIT is just the right amount of exercise that its very beneficial.

joaquin

OP
Mito

Mito

Whenever I hear of people 'going for it' I am reminded of Andrew Marr. Tall, slim and very fit and yet....

The HIIT described in the OP study seems to be much less intense than the HIT Andrew Marr was doing. The study describes just raising your heart rate with exercise (such as a brisk walk) for only one minute a few times each day.

T

tca300

This kind of information is similar to a study I remember where people who walk ~8000+ steps per day tend to have reduced mortality from many causes. Now, the real question. Is the reduced mortality BECAUSE of exercise, OR is it because already healthy people tend to move around more.

P

Peatress

The HIIT described in the OP study seems to be much less intense than the HIT Andrew Marr was doing. The study describes just raising your heart rate with exercise (such as a brisk walk) for only one minute a few times each day.
Good to know. Andrew Marr was pushing it. I remember everyone being very shocked when he had that stroke.

Don

Thanks for the post, love this stuff. When i walk or hike with the dog we always do some 10-60 second sprints often uphill with nose breathing.

joaquin

Thanks for the post, love this stuff. When i walk or hike with the dog we always do some 10-60 second sprints often uphill with nose breathing.
I do something similar. And I've noticed that about 30 to 40 minutes afterwards my heart feels very good.

Mauritio

This kind of information is similar to a study I remember where people who walk ~8000+ steps per day tend to have reduced mortality from many causes. Now, the real question. Is the reduced mortality BECAUSE of exercise, OR is it because already healthy people tend to move around more.
That's what I was wondering as well .

It could be that people with a higher metabolism are more likely to perform short bursts of high intensity "exercises", actually that seems quite logical to me.

And a higher metabolism would obviously account for some, if not all, of the cancer reduction and increase in longevity.

SamYo123

That's what I was wondering as well .

It could be that people with a higher metabolism are more likely to perform short bursts of high intensity "exercises", actually that seems quite logical to me.

And a higher metabolism would obviously account for some, if not all, of the cancer reduction and increase in longevity.
Testosterone makes effort feel good

-Luke-

First of all, why is tca300 a guest?

If he reads this:
1) I would be very happy (and I'm sure a lot of other people here) if you came back.
2) I would suppose that in the study with 8000+ steps it's both. Healthy people who are lean or only slightly overweight are more active. But at the same time walking, even if it's 8000+ steps, is probably very low intensity and therefore not stressing for these people, so I'd argue the activity has a positive effect. Especially if the walking is done in nature and not in highly polluted cities.

When it comes to more intense exercise like strength training or sprints, it's probably the same if you don't kill yourself with 60 minutes crossift sessions (high intensity and high volume). I've found for myself that it's a pretty fine line. For example, if I sprint and do short sprints (~30 m), not too many repetitions and enough breaks in between, I feel great afterwards. Nothing raises my body temperature like that. And it's not a stressed way of feeling good, since I think I can feel the difference by now. It is difficult for me to imagine that this could have long-term neutral or even negative effects.

Funnily enough, over the last couple of months I have changed my "training" to what is described here. I don't have any training routine anymore, but just do some stuff spontaneously throughout the day when I feel like it. 2-3 minutes of rope jumping, one set of pushups or body rows, one set of goblet squats or one-legged deadlifts with a kettlebell, a few minutes of higher pace or uphill walking when I'm going for a walk. 3-4 of those per day when I feel like it and no training routine at all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals