Theses 5 Healthy Habits Could Help You Live A Decade Longer A New Study Suggests

Mito

Impact of Healthy Lifestyle Factors on Life Expectancies in the US Population

Adherence to 5 low-risk lifestyle-related factors

1. Never smoking
2. Healthy weight
3. Regular physical activity
4. Healthy diet
5. Moderate alcohol consumption

Could prolong life expectancy at age 50 years by 14.0 and 12.2 years for female and male US adults compared with individuals who adopted zero low-risk lifestyle factors.

Abstract
Background—Americans have a shorter life expectancy compared with residents of almost all other high-income countries. We aim to estimate the impact of lifestyle factors on premature mortality and life expectancy in the US population.

Methods—Using data from the Nurses' Health Study (1980-2014; n=78 865) and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986-2014, n=44 354), we defined 5 low-risk lifestyle factors as never smoking, body mass index of 18.5 to 24.9 kg/m2, ≥30 min/d of moderate to vigorous physical activity, moderate alcohol intake, and a high diet quality score (upper 40%), and estimated hazard ratios for the association of total lifestyle score (0-5 scale) with mortality. We used data from the NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys; 2013-2014) to estimate the distribution of the lifestyle score and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention WONDER database to derive the agespecific death rates of Americans. We applied the life table method to estimate life expectancy by levels of the lifestyle score.

Results—During up to 34 years of follow-up, we documented 42 167 deaths. The multivariable-adjusted hazard ratios for mortality in adults with 5 compared with zero low-risk factors were 0.26 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.22-0.31) for all-cause mortality, 0.35 (95% CI, 0.27-0.45) for cancer mortality, and 0.18 (95% CI, 0.12-0.26) for cardiovascular disease mortality. The population-attributable risk of nonadherence to 5 low-risk factors was 60.7% (95% CI, 53.6-66.7) for all-cause mortality, 51.7% (95% CI, 37.1-62.9) for cancer mortality, and 71.7% (95% CI, 58.1-81.0) for cardiovascular disease mortality. We estimated that the life expectancy at age 50 years was 29.0 years (95% CI, 28.3-29.8) for women and 25.5 years (95% CI, 24.7-26.2) for men who adopted zero low-risk lifestyle factors. In contrast, for those who adopted all 5 low-risk factors, we projected a life expectancy at age 50 years of 43.1 years (95% CI, 41.3-44.9) for women and 37.6 years (95% CI, 35.8-39.4) for men. The projected life expectancy at age 50 years was on average 14.0 years (95% CI, 11.8-16.2) longer among female Americans with 5 lowrisk factors compared with those with zero low-risk factors; for men, the difference was 12.2 years (95% CI, 10.1-14.2).

Conclusions—Adopting a healthy lifestyle could substantially reduce premature mortality and prologng life expectancy in US adults.

benaoao

In other news water is wet ;)

To push things further when those bases above are covered, emphasis should be on sleep quality, stress reduction, and social life.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I better start partying harder. I wanna be dead by 70.
iu

Taotatoes

@charlie People always seem so shocked when I say that, but I mean it. I guess you could say I have some pretty unorthodox outlooks on life... LOL.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@charlie People always seem so shocked when I say that, but I mean it. I guess you could say I have some pretty unorthodox outlooks on life... LOL.
I know someone personally who does not want to grow old. The older years are supposed to be the golden years but that has been stolen from us.

Taotatoes

I know someone personally who does not want to grow old. The older years are supposed to be the golden years but that has been stolen from us.

Indeed. My main concern is whether I can afford to live past then and still maintain a decent quality of life. Our current societal standard isn't sustainable. Which is why I adopted minimalism in my mid 20's. Stopped buying frivolous things, started thrifting more, sold my car, started walking and biking everywhere (unless weather doesn't permit). My current plan is to put most of my savings towards traveling as much as I can from 40-60 and then invest in a eco sustainable permaculture co-op to retire in. But who knows... life happens. :woot:

Last edited:

dfspcc20

Stopped buying frivolous things, started thrifting more, sold my car, started walking and biking everywhere (unless weather doesn't permit). My current plan is to put most of my savings towards traveling as much as I can from 40-60 and then invest in a eco sustainable permaculture co-op to retire in.

That seems to be a recipe for *not* dying prematurely. :)

OP
Mito

Mito

I better start partying harder. I wanna be dead by 70.
Indeed. My main concern is whether I can afford to live past then and still maintain a decent quality of life.
I get what you are saying but if you die at the relatively early age of 70, it could mean you developed a chronic degenerative disease that reduced your quality of life for years before you die anyway.

Taotatoes

I get what you are saying but if you die at the relatively early age of 70, it could mean you developed a chronic degenerative disease that reduced your quality of life for years before you die anyway.

I'd put money on me dying much sooner from an accident of some sort... LOL.

sladerunner69

Those moderate alcohol consumption statistics are flawed I believe. Statistical error, because if you consider the standard mean of the population to be somebody who drinks moderately, they are going to live longer than someone who drinks heavily. In the same population, the total proportion of people who do not drink is EXTREMELY small. We are not counting minors, and if you think about it nearly every adult in the world drinks alcohol, except for a few: recovering addicts, the elderly, and the ill. I can see why these types of people would have shorter life expectancies for reasons not always related to alcohol.

Thus, drinking in moderation is still unhealthy and does not offer much health benefit. However, it may not be all that harmful in moderation either. But drinking is certainly not healthier than not drinking.

Broken man

For me, the best life I could imagine and will try to live is like Albert Einstein. Some good friends, good food and work that fulfill my curiosity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals