OMG PROGESTERONE IS SEDATING ME....

June

I need some help. ] I've been applying Progesterone many times a day and live by the alarm clock. Problem is I'm at 1600mg for heavy bleeding and thought that I'd switch my vaginal prometrium to sublingual. I am doing 200mg ona's vaginally 5 times a day and Progest-E 5 drops 5 times a day sublingually and now 100mg Prometrium 4 x a day sublingually. It was today with the sublingual Prometrium where I ended up feeling like I'm drunk. I don't like this feeling. My brain feels like I'm under water and I'm walking through molasses. I feel sedated. Irony is that my bleeding has slowed down but still present. Its become a watery pink blood. I assume my endometrium is thinning. So does this mean I'm taking too much progesterone? What should I back down to? 1200mg? Or should I deal with the sedation and dizziness and just sleep it off? Sublingual obviously works best for me. I just don't like this feeling of derealization, drunkenness and being stoned. I'm stumbling as I walk. I heard that too high of a dose can cause the lungs to stop functioning..that scares me. My vision is all distorted..will this pass??

OP
J

June

Something transpired within these two hours. My bleeding stopped and I slept away the sedation a little. That was the scariest experience I've ever had, second to the chronic panic attack I suffered due to low dose Prometrium back in 2018. I'm not sure if I should continue at the dose I was taking as it seems to be doing some good for my issue. But at the same time, I'm also experiencing some chills. I can't seem to stay warm. Like it made my hypothyroidism worse. I haven't been diagnosed hypothyroid but have had very low temps for many years and I do have Hashimotos. I thought progesterone makes one hyperthyroid..not hypo. I also experienced some anxiety while in sedated state. Did progesterone tank my cortisol, which in turn causes adrenaline to rise?

Last edited:

Happycat

Feeling sleepy is a known effect of Prometrium, that is why is used to help with sleep at night. Most of it is converted to allopregnenolone which has the sedating effect.
To avoid this you could use it as a pessary, but you are already using Onas like that.
Regarding the dose, if you have achieved symptom relief, (reduced bleeding) I think you need to stay at that dose for a while and then reduce the dose.

I need some help. ] I've been applying Progesterone many times a day and live by the alarm clock. Problem is I'm at 1600mg for heavy bleeding and thought that I'd switch my vaginal prometrium to sublingual. I am doing 200mg ona's vaginally 5 times a day and Progest-E 5 drops 5 times a day sublingually and now 100mg Prometrium 4 x a day sublingually. It was today with the sublingual Prometrium where I ended up feeling like I'm drunk. I don't like this feeling. My brain feels like I'm under water and I'm walking through molasses. I feel sedated. Irony is that my bleeding has slowed down but still present. Its become a watery pink blood. I assume my endometrium is thinning. So does this mean I'm taking too much progesterone? What should I back down to? 1200mg? Or should I deal with the sedation and dizziness and just sleep it off? Sublingual obviously works best for me. I just don't like this feeling of derealization, drunkenness and being stoned. I'm stumbling as I walk. I heard that too high of a dose can cause the lungs to stop functioning..that scares me. My vision is all distorted..will this pass??
The same thing happened to me when I first started using Progest-E, but I don’t feel anything anymore. I wrote about that first experience in my thread, linked below, and have collected everything valuable I have learned about progesterone since in that thread. When your body doesn’t need progesterone so much those sleepy symptoms will subside…

mostlylurking

Add up the amount of Progest-E (5 dropsX5 times/day=25 drops) and take that whole amount as a single dose, rubbed into your gums, about an hour before bedtime. It will feel relaxing and you will sleep well.

Take the Prometrium before bedtime too. Instructions here: Prometrium Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
"Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once a day at bedtime. If you have trouble swallowing the pills, take with a full glass of water while standing up. Follow the dosing schedule carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to therapy."

Prometrium - Clinical Pharmacology

"PROMETRIUM Capsules are an oral dosage form of micronized progesterone which is chemically identical to progesterone of ovarian origin. The oral bioavailability of progesterone is increased through micronization."
also:
"The inactive ingredients for PROMETRIUM Capsules 200 mg include: peanut oil NF, gelatin NF, glycerin USP, lecithin NF, titanium dioxide USP, D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Yellow No. 6."
also:
"PROMETRIUM® (progesterone, USP) Capsules contain micronized progesterone for oral administration. Progesterone has a molecular weight of 314.47 and a molecular formula of C21H30O2. Progesterone (pregn-4-ene-3, 20-dione) is a white or creamy white, odorless, crystalline powder practically insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol, acetone and dioxane and sparingly soluble in vegetable oils, stable in air, melting between 126° and 131°C. The structural formula is:

Chemical Structure

Progesterone is synthesized from a starting material from a plant source and is chemically identical to progesterone of human ovarian origin. PROMETRIUM Capsules are available in multiple strengths to afford dosage flexibility for optimum management. PROMETRIUM Capsules contain 100 mg or 200 mg micronized progesterone."
-end paste-

Look on your Prometrium information and learn which dose you are taking (100mg or 200mg). Add this number to the amount of Progest-E you take (5 drops X 5Xday = 25 drops X 3.5mg(3mg?)/drop = 87.5mg + your Prometrium dose to get the amount of progesterone that you took.

Progest-E info:
Dr. Peat's Progest E Complex contains the following:
  • Supplement Facts: Serving Size: 3 small drops, containing 3.5 progesterone in each drop, approximately 970 drops per bottle
  • Natural d-alpha tocopherol &/or mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) 4-22 mg per drop; 12-66 mg per serving
  • Natural progesterone derived from wild yam 3 mg per drop; 9 mg per serving
  • Other Ingredients: Vegetable triglycerides (plant-based, sourced from either olive or coconut)
-end paste-

Thoughts:
The Prometrium has some pretty dreadful "inactive ingredients". The Progest-E is a cleaner product. If your doctor prescribed 100mg of Prometrium, and you are taking both that AND the Progest-E, you are taking 187mg of progesterone instead of 100mg. If you are taking 200mg of Prometrium AND the Progest-E, you are taking 287mg of progesterone instead of 200mg of progesterone.

I'm not a doctor and this is NOT medical advice. There's either 3mg progesterone in a drop of Progest-E or there's 3.5mg progesterone in a drop of Progest-E. The extra ingredients are vitamin E and a little coconut oil or olive oil. I chose to take the product that excludes peanut oil NF, gelatin NF, glycerin USP, lecithin NF, titanium dioxide USP, D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Yellow No. 6.

Are you getting the PROMETRIUM prescription medication via a doctor? Does the doctor know that you are also taking the Progest-E?

Truth

Hi, are the effects you felt from it associated with a higher degree of well-being?

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I ended up feeling like I'm drunk. I don't like this feeling. My brain feels like I'm under water and I'm walking through molasses. I feel sedated.
You took too much. Also, you should take it in the evening before you go to bed. Progesterone is an anesthetic. It can put you to sleep. It can also make you stop breathing if you take a gigantic dose of it.

Please take the time to listen to these Ray Peat interviews about progesterone so that you can have a better understanding about what progesterone does and is capable of doing.

Ucume

I’d say your dose is way too high. Proponents of high dose (such as Dr. Katherina Dalton) suggest a daily dose of 100 to 400mg depending on the case. Could you maybe l, slowly, reduce the dose to match that? Also, have you checked thyroid and vitamin D levels? They usually go hand in hand with Progesterone.

OP
J

June

Sorry everyone I missed these comments! I'm back after dealing with my dicey situation. I was doing 1600mg sublingually (via Prometrium and Ona's oil) and it did nothing for my bleeding. The Prometrium is prescribed to me and it still causes sedation but if I keep it sublingually longer and then swallow, I don't get as much sedation. Either way, it did nothing for my bleeding and it got so bad I sought advice from a estrogen dominance group. They told me to try to get some of the progesterone rectally. I'm now taking the 400mg Prometrium orally and 1200mg Ona's products rectally (tried vaginal to no avail). The night I tried rectally, my uterus shed nonstop and I thought it would never stop. I saw black blood fill the whole toilet. I'm still bleeding a light bleed. People in that group have stopped their hemorrhage by using up to 2000mg. I also have a raging SIBO/SIFO infection which has inflamed my uterus also. i'm taking care of that while trying to raise my non-existent progesterone levels up (ratio confirmed by lab test). I have raw powdered progesterone coming in to help me get up to that dose but unsure if sublingual powder followed by swallowing it would make a difference? I don't think my SIBO can handle any swallowed oil which is why I decided on the raw powder. Will I absorb it at all if I swallow the powder? I know a portion of it will be converted by the liver. I know the reason I have this severe SIBO/SIFO infection is because my adrenals/thryoid malfunctioned after years of SSRI/BENZO withdrawals. But FT3 labs come back normal despite the fact my body is always ice cold and labs indicate Hashimotos. I was hoping to try NDT soon to get my liver and gut moving again. I probably have low stomach acid also. I was dealing with one bowel movement a week for 8 years after the discontinuation. Only issue is that after my withdrawals, my body runs on adrenaline/cortisol and often deal with heart palps. So I'm not sure if thyroid meds could help or make it worse.

PS. Progesterone brought a rosy color back to my skin. I had pallor for a decade despite how much iron I took or how much beef I ate.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals