No hyper symptoms despite supplementing a grain of thyroid since June?

Green Dot

I realized that my latest symptoms were just acute hypothyroidism as I did not taper off my dose of thyroid.

I do wonder how I’m still hypo despite supplementing for a decent amount of time.

Vileplume

In my experience, there are a lot of things that can interfere with a thyroid supp working properly, or keep you hypo despite supplementation.

For example:
-Gut irritation and endotoxin
-Too many other nutrient-devoid stimulants like coffee and white sugar and exercise, without enough calories or nutrients to support it all
-Missing some key vitamins or minerals due to a restricted diet with non-nutritious foods

My money is on gut irritation. If you can fix the cause, your thyroid will start to improve.

Deborah888

I realized that my latest symptoms were just acute hypothyroidism as I did not taper off my dose of thyroid.

I do wonder how I’m still hypo despite supplementing for a decent amount of time.
I took a low-dose thyroid (Synthroid/Cytomel combo, then Armour, and bovine thyroid) for 18 years due to hypothyroidism. I took so much thyroid toward the end of these 18 years that I was told I was on the dose that people WITHOUT thyroids normally take. Well, in March of 2020, I began mega-dosing Vitamin D3. You can guess why. Anyway, within 2 mos I was getting an ecg thinking I had sudden heart problems when it turned out I was just really hyperthyroid. So I lowered my dose. After a month, I still felt nervous, had palpitations, muscle weakness, eye pain, insomnia, etc. Lowered my dose again. I wondered why, after so long, that I suddenly didn't need as much thyroid. Then I remembered I started taking D3 when the hyper symptoms began. So I got a blood test and my vitamin D levels, after MONTHS of taking 15000IU/day, was 30 (borderline insufficient). Fast forward and now I'm completely weaned off of thyroid meds and i take a 5,000-10,000IU maintenance dose of Vitamin D3. Since that experience, I've run into two other women with the same experience as me. I did look it up and there is a connection if you google it.

Anyway, I know it may not be as simple as that for you but you may want to get your vitamin D3 levels checked just in case.

dadavid

I took a low-dose thyroid (Synthroid/Cytomel combo, then Armour, and bovine thyroid) for 18 years due to hypothyroidism. I took so much thyroid toward the end of these 18 years that I was told I was on the dose that people WITHOUT thyroids normally take. Well, in March of 2020, I began mega-dosing Vitamin D3. You can guess why. Anyway, within 2 mos I was getting an ecg thinking I had sudden heart problems when it turned out I was just really hyperthyroid. So I lowered my dose. After a month, I still felt nervous, had palpitations, muscle weakness, eye pain, insomnia, etc. Lowered my dose again. I wondered why, after so long, that I suddenly didn't need as much thyroid. Then I remembered I started taking D3 when the hyper symptoms began. So I got a blood test and my vitamin D levels, after MONTHS of taking 15000IU/day, was 30 (borderline insufficient). Fast forward and now I'm completely weaned off of thyroid meds and i take a 5,000-10,000IU maintenance dose of Vitamin D3. Since that experience, I've run into two other women with the same experience as me. I did look it up and there is a connection if you google it.

Anyway, I know it may not be as simple as that for you but you may want to get your vitamin D3 levels checked just in case.
Hey Deborah888,
It's very interesting what you are saying about the vitamin D.
To stop taking thyroid after 18 years - wow didn't think that is possible. How did you decide to reduce? Did you do blood tests?

I'm asking because I'm into the 7th year of synthroid/cytomel with ever increasing dose already on full replacement.
My vit D never over 30. Every time I try to take some vitamin D - few days later I feel terrible, can it be hyper? I thought it was the MCT oil, the lanolin allergy ,whatever.

Deborah888

I reduced my thyroid medication because my blood tests showed I was hyperthyroid (after starting the D3). I got blood tests regularly (2-5x/year) checking my thyroid for all those years. It took about 6 months to get my thyroid back to normal after going hyperthyroid from the Vitamin D3 intake. I didn't stop the D3 though. Taking 10,000-15,000IU Vitamin D3 per day it took about 8 months to get my blood level from 30 to 50, which still isn't great but not borderline "insufficient" anymore. I also spent time outside in the sun.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals