Very high reverse T3

Mittir

Re: Thyroid dosage, Armour thyroid

I think anti-bodies tests are not that useful as it is not explicitly related to
thyroid antibodies and RP thinks higher antibodies can mean body is cleaning
up after inflammatory damage. If i want to save money then i will skip that test.

I would go for TSH, total T4 and total T3. If these tests are normal and i am not feeling well
then i will do a test for reverse T3. Total cholesterol level is very useful in gauging thyroid status. RP recommends one should have at least 160 mg/dL of total cholesterol, preferably
200 mg/dL before starting thyroid supplement. Thyroid hormone can make one hypocholesterolemic.

Here is a RP quote on blood test to measure thyroid condition.
Ray Peat said:
Increasingly, TSH (the pituitary thyroid stimulating hormone) has been treated as if it meant something independently; however, it can be brought down into the normal range, or lower, by substances other than the thyroid hormones.

“Basal” body temperature is influenced by many things besides thyroid. The resting heart rate helps to interpret the temperature. In a cool environment, the temperature of the extremities is sometimes a better indicator than the oral or eardrum temperature.

The “basal” metabolic rate, especially if the rate of carbon dioxide production is measured, is very useful. The amount of water and calories disposed of in a day can give a rough idea of the metabolic rate.

The T wave on the electrocardiogram, and the relaxation rate on the Achilles reflex test are useful.

Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

OP
A

Anonymous

Mittir said:
I think anti-bodies tests are not that useful as it is not explicitly related to
thyroid antibodies and RP thinks higher antibodies can mean body is cleaning
up after inflammatory damage. If i want to save money then i will skip that test.

I would go for TSH, total T4 and total T3. If these tests are normal and i am not feeling well
then i will do a test for reverse T3. Total cholesterol level is very useful in gauging thyroid status. RP recommends one should have at least 160 mg/dL of total cholesterol, preferably
200 mg/dL before starting thyroid supplement. Thyroid hormone can make one hypocholesterolemic.

Here is a RP quote on blood test to measure thyroid condition.
Ray Peat said:
Increasingly, TSH (the pituitary thyroid stimulating hormone) has been treated as if it meant something independently; however, it can be brought down into the normal range, or lower, by substances other than the thyroid hormones.

“Basal” body temperature is influenced by many things besides thyroid. The resting heart rate helps to interpret the temperature. In a cool environment, the temperature of the extremities is sometimes a better indicator than the oral or eardrum temperature.

The “basal” metabolic rate, especially if the rate of carbon dioxide production is measured, is very useful. The amount of water and calories disposed of in a day can give a rough idea of the metabolic rate.

The T wave on the electrocardiogram, and the relaxation rate on the Achilles reflex test are useful.

Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

What about Free T4 and Free T3 instead of total?

Mittir

Wheat&PUFAs said:
What about Free T4 and Free T3 instead of total?

He does not recommend free T3 or free T4 tests. He mentioned that most of the time
those reflects total T3 and T4 , but not always. He also pointed out that large amount
of scientific literatures used total T4 and T3, so it helps to interpret and free tests
are relatively new, manufactured by diagnostic labs. He also mentioned that you need
reverse T3 to interpret free T3. It is not clear to me if same goes for total T3.
IIRC total T3 represent both free T3 and reverse T3.

OP
A

Anonymous

My labs from today:

TSH 2.680 uIU/mL 0.450-4.500

T4,Free(Direct) 1.29 ng/dL 0.82-1.77

Reverse T3, Serum 33.0 HIGH ng/dL 9.2-24.1

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum 3.3 pg/mL 2.0-4.4

AST (SGOT) 32 IU/L 0-40

ALT (SGPT) 72 HIGH IU/L 0-44

Carbon Dioxide, Total 23 mmol/L 18-29