I Went To A TCM Herbalist Doctor And Was Told Of Taking Too Much Iodine That Resulted To My Symptoms

Makrosky

iodoral was back ordered here due to the earthquake in japan/fukashima & the rdiation drifting toward california. the only cofactors i used were selenium & magnesium & not even regularly. i knew abt the 2 diff forms of iodine. but i didn't know that 100mg shut down your thyroid, yikes! have u ever used methylene blue?
Yes I've used big doses and now I use haidut's oxidal, 2-3 drops max. every once in a while, when I feel I need some more push. Why you ask ?

papaya

Yes I've used big doses and now I use haidut's oxidal, 2-3 drops max. every once in a while, when I feel I need some more push. Why you ask ?
i'm thinking about taking it on a regular basis, 3x a week. i've only ever used it if i was getting a sore throat/cold. i saw that ray said the best dose is 1/10mg- 1mg. i need something. i thought i had really bad add (very scattered thoughts, hard to concentrate) with some learned helplessness but i think from researching for a replacement for adderall that what i really actually have is ocd. i'm extremely indecisive, i obsess over every decision to the point that i become frozen/procrastinate (learned helplessness). i also have some of the obvious ocd ritual symptoms, but those obvious ones aren't what gets in the way of my life. it's the obsessive indeciseivness, procrastination/ frozen feeling that do. do u have any advice?

LucH

Can i be hypothyroid because of too much iodine/seaweeds or im hyperthyroid?
Yes, this is a protective mecanism. I explain:
Too much iodine in circulation?
"When there is too much iodine in circulation the thyroid inhibits the organification / assimilation of iodine. This inhibitory process is called “the Wolff-Chaikoff effect”. The mechanism is not well explained / understood. It is proposed that iodopeptide(s) are formed that temporarily inhibit thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mRNA and protein synthesis and, therefore, thyroglobulin iodinations. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect is an effective means of rejecting the large quantities of iodide and therefore preventing the thyroid from synthesizing large quantities of thyroid hormones. The acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect lasts for few a days and then, through the so-called "escape" phenomenon, the organification of intrathyroidal iodide resumes and the normal synthesis of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) returns."
Source : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11396709

Selenium is needed
The thyroid gland has a high selenium content due to selenoproteins (glutathione peroxidases) which protect the cells from oxidative damage associated with hydrogen peroxide production needed for thyroid hormone biosynthesis.
So selenium protects thyroid from excess iodine.
Source: The thyroid madness II - Chapter 7 “The Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroid Disease”. By Jeffrey Dach MD

Endocrine disruptors
Many things can disrupt the normal operation: at the level of the conversion of enzymes: nutritional deficiency (magnesium, selenium, iodine, and iron), excessive stress (cortisol). Or by blocking receptors, by environmental toxins (fluorine, chlorine, pesticides, mercury, etc.).

Essential nutrients for thyroid
Fat-soluble vitamins: A, D, E, k. B-2 C B9 and B12 vitamins micronutrients: Magnesium - Selenium - Zinc – iodine.

Toxic elements for the thyroid
Pay attention to fluorine, chlorine and bromine
: they saturate the thyroid receptors and prevent iodine to set. Some drugs depress thyroid: the contraceptive pill (estrogen), inhibitors of the reuptake of serotonin (lithium, prozac), betablockers, etc. And of course the pollutants and environmental toxins that hinder cellular communication. Heavy metals, such as lead, arsenic and mercury especially hold a prominent place...

Makrosky

Yes, this is a protective mecanism. I explain:
Too much iodine in circulation?
"When there is too much iodine in circulation the thyroid inhibits the organification / assimilation of iodine. This inhibitory process is called “the Wolff-Chaikoff effect”. The mechanism is not well explained / understood. It is proposed that iodopeptide(s) are formed that temporarily inhibit thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mRNA and protein synthesis and, therefore, thyroglobulin iodinations. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect is an effective means of rejecting the large quantities of iodide and therefore preventing the thyroid from synthesizing large quantities of thyroid hormones. The acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect lasts for few a days and then, through the so-called "escape" phenomenon, the organification of intrathyroidal iodide resumes and the normal synthesis of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) returns."
Source : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11396709
Sorry but no. Wolff-Chaikoff effect is for VERY HIGH iodine doses, like 100mg or so. Nobody can get so much iodine without supplementing it in very big doses. And yes, as you said, it only lasts 48-72 hours normally.

Makrosky

i'm thinking about taking it on a regular basis, 3x a week. i've only ever used it if i was getting a sore throat/cold. i saw that ray said the best dose is 1/10mg- 1mg. i need something. i thought i had really bad add (very scattered thoughts, hard to concentrate) with some learned helplessness but i think from researching for a replacement for adderall that what i really actually have is ocd. i'm extremely indecisive, i obsess over every decision to the point that i become frozen/procrastinate (learned helplessness). i also have some of the obvious ocd ritual symptoms, but those obvious ones aren't what gets in the way of my life. it's the obsessive indeciseivness, procrastination/ frozen feeling that do. do u have any advice?

Sorry I don't know much about ADD or OCD. Regarding the learned helplessness... yes, lowering serotonin. I think (as others do) that when you are under severe stress, you become indecisive because you can't plan on the future, you can only just focus in 24 or 48 hours windows, thus making impossible to take decisions. There's little freedom in that state. In my case, methylene blue didn't help with that (in an specific way) but yes why not trying. Higher doses were not stress reducing for me that is for sure. Tianeptine helped me much more on that aspect.

What else can I say ? You probably know it... it's Peat basic stuff. Good thyroid function and nutrition and keeping serotonin low should help you lower your stress and be able to take decisions and stop procrastinating. I've noticed when I experiment with NDT (very sparingly) I seem to take more firm decisions. Like... how's to put it... like it unblocks your car brakes.

But I think the very big problem with decision making is not biochemical. It's psychological. Of being afraid of doing/chosing the wrong thing. We tend to think that if we chose badly it would be TERRIBLE. And we'll have to punish ourselves for not having chose the right thing. **** it. We're gonna die one day anyway. But yes, I know... it's called learned helplessness for a reason... even if you know you have to do something, you can't. As I said... tianeptine helps. Any antiserotonin drug can help I think. Have you tried them ?

Another thing about procrastinating is...yes... the intrinsic motivation you feel for doing what you have to do. When you love doing something OR you see some intrinsic meaning to it, there's no procrastination. Right ?

Last edited:
OP
HealthisWealth
@Makrosky @Pet Peeve @papaya @AmishMechanic or anyone

Hi i saw this k2 at the supplement store. (Im taking vitamin d3 and from what i research here i need k2 to balance it. By the way my relative from america in few months will visit my country so i ask to buy for me some supplements. Among this which is the best and ease of use. thorne k2, life extension, healtnatura, complimentary prescription. Are drops for skin only or can be use orally?

But for the mean time which among the two is the best and im should i be concerned with choline and glutamic acid?

Healthy options brand
Ingredients
K2 75mcg (mixed mk4 through mk10)
GLA 250mg (Gamma-glutamyl carboxylase = choline and glutamic acid)

is this good mk4 through mk10 and is choline and glutamic acid bad?

There is also another brand Solgar
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7) 100 mcg
Calcium 115 mg

Pet Peeve

@HealthisWealth Idealabs has one in DMSO and healthnatura has one in oil. I'd go for one of these. Healthnatura has activated charcoal too which you should get.

papaya

Hey papaya,

Yeah it used to be my favorite supp on pre peat times also. But I had to take so many cofactors and pills that despite feeling great I was seeing myself like a 80 year old man. With one of those pill-dispenser boxes. Plus I didn't know much about nutrition back then so I was probably underfeeding myself + reving up metabolism... plus eating PUFAS. Plus detox reactions. NO BUENO. But there was something unique to it. I think it does more than simply help thyroid. That's why I'm sad there's not more research on it. Who could be interested on researching such a simple, cheap and unpatentable product? One of this days I'll try it again and see what happens.

I don't want to sound crazy but iodine had some strange effects. I clearly remember one day I took iodine in the morning, went downtown to buy some clothes, and when I was going to pay, a few seconds or miliseconds (It was very quick) I could hear in my mind the exact words the cashier would use, with the exact same cadence, volume and tone and HER voice, not a generic one. I never heard her voice before btw. It was precognition. Never in my life have had that before or after.

Now what you say about iodoral in Japan is very strange. Are you sure you are talking about Iodoral, or the 120mg potassium iodide pills that are used in case of nuclear emergencies to protect the thyroid ? Sorry if you already know this but Lugol/Iodoral is a mixture of elemental iodine (I2) + Potassium iodide (KI). It's two different forms of iodine. The former one is not found in nature, only in supps like Lugol/Iodoral. It creates lots of detox reactions.

Also, doses higher than 100mg of Iodine shut down the thyroid for 48-72 hours, as des

Hi i saw this k2 at the supplement store. (Im taking vitamin d3 and from what i research here i need k2 to balance it. By the way my relative from america in few months will visit my country so i ask to buy for me some supplements. Among this which is the best and ease of use. thorne k2, life extension, healtnatura, complimentary prescription. Are drops for skin only or can be use orally?

But for the mean time which among the two is the best and im should i be concerned with choline and glutamic acid?

Healthy options brand
Ingredients

Calcium 115 mg
i'm not familiar w/them, but i do keep natto in my freezer for k2. you can probably find it in your country. it's a japanese fermented soy product.

papaya

Sorry I don't know much about ADD or OCD. Regarding the learned helplessness... yes, lowering serotonin. I think (as others do) that when you are under severe stress, you become indecisive because you can't plan on the future, you can only just focus in 24 or 48 hours windows, thus making impossible to take decisions. There's little freedom in that state. In my case, methylene blue didn't help with that (in an specific way) but yes why not trying. Higher doses were not stress reducing for me that is for sure. Tianeptine helped me much more on that aspect.

What else can I say ? You probably know it... it's Peat basic stuff. Good thyroid function and nutrition and keeping serotonin low should help you lower your stress and be able to take decisions and stop procrastinating. I've noticed when I experiment with NDT (very sparingly) I seem to take more firm decisions. Like... how's to put it... like it unblocks your car brakes.

But I think the very big problem with decision making is not biochemical. It's psychological. Of being afraid of doing/chosing the wrong thing. We tend to think that if we chose badly it would be TERRIBLE. And we'll have to punish ourselves for not having chose the right thing. **** it. We're gonna die one day anyway. But yes, I know... it's called learned helplessness for a reason... even if you know you have to do something, you can't. As I said... tianeptine helps. Any antiserotonin drug can help I think. Have you tried them ?

Another thing about procrastinating is...yes... the intrinsic motivation you feel for doing what you have to do. When you love doing something OR you see some intrinsic meaning to it, there's no procrastination. Right ?
thank you! i just started back on ndt(thiroyd). i used to take 2g but now i'm taking 1 eighth of a grain 3x a day. i might switch to 1 quarter a grain 2 x a day. i'm trying to keep the t3 dose low so that i don't shut my thyroid down.

papaya

i actually also procrastinate on things that i really want to do, i think that's where the feeling frozen aspect comes into play.

OP
HealthisWealth
@papaya

Thank you for mentioning this. I almost replied but i reread again your post. I thought K2 natto supplement should be keep in the freezer but reread it again and you mean the natto food itself.

Well i would check the health food store for natto. Majority of soy product here are soymilk and taho(silken tofu, syrup of caramelized sugar, sago)

When i was young i really crave soymilk and taho. But avoid it when news and articles in the internet telling soy is bad for health. By the way what byproduct of soy that uses hexane in extracting/processing that made finish product bad for health?

I really want to eat soy again its really delicious.

800px-Taho2.jpg

Last edited:

papaya

@papaya

Thank you for mentioning this. I almost replied but i reread again your post. I thought K2 natto supplement should be keep in the freezer but reread it again and you mean the natto food itself.

Well i would check the health food store for natto. Majority of soy product here are soymilk and taho(silken tofu, syrup of caramelized sugar, sago)

When i was young i really crave soymilk and taho. But avoid it when news and articles in the internet telling soy is bad for health. I really want to eat soy again its really delicious.

By the way what byproduct of soy that uses hexane in extracting/processing that made finish product bad for health?
if your health store doesn't have it, look for it in a japanese market. it's a very common japanese food.

Makrosky

Healthy options brand
Ingredients

Calcium 115 mg
Hi man,

I don't know much about Vit K but here are a few things :
- Apparently, the only safe and best Vitamin K is K2 MK4. So I'll stay away from anything is not that.
- Since you have problems with digestion and stuff...It's best to avoid as much irritants as possible. Healthnature and Idealabs ones are the ones to go I think. People (including Chris Masterjohn) talk positively about Thorne K2 also. All other brands probably have additives. You can check toxinless.com Stay away from Solgar it's quite good quality but it has lots of irritant additives which would be very bad for a case like yours.
- Topical / Oral : You can do either. Or both. If you take it oral more of it will go to the liver, where it is really helpful. Topical will go more to the specific parts of the body you apply it to. You can experiment with both.
- There's A LOT of info in the forum about K2. Like, a lot. Do some searches.
- Apparently K is the only fat soluble that doesn't need to be balanced with others. Good for you.
- Again, as I told you, be careful about raising metabolism without adequate micronutrients.

Why don't you buy topical B vitamins like Energin instead? You NEED the micros

Last edited:
OP
HealthisWealth
@Makrosky

Im taking for few weeks

vitamin d3 2000IU
Niacin 500mg

After going last thursday to the new tcm doctor that told me im phlegm misting the heart a bit, i posted here and @Pet Peeve posted this reply.

Kelp is like an iodine supplement, you probably shouldn't take it.
If you have phlegm misting the heart then that translates to atherosclerosis according to the link provided. Atherosclerosis is a buildup of fats in the cardiovascular system which progresses to calcium buildup. This has been linked to alzheimers disease and according to TCM leads to mental problems. Search the forum for atherosclerosis, e.g. What is the Peat approach to atherosclerosis?

I check the link and @SaltGirl posted the old way of treating atheroslecrosis are niacin + iodine, and @burtlancast also posted linus pauling vitamin c +lysine. I have been already supplementing niacin and d3. So i keep on reading the link and think of trying the lysine but not iodine and i want also vitamin c but need to find good source.

Upon taking the lysine after an hour or two i notice something is different. The back of my chest is slowly feeling relax not that much tremors, and inside my mouth from the laryxn/pharynx up to the nostril there was less pressure/nerves/tremoring. I hope i describe clearly my symptoms. Its like nerves/air pressure back of mouth up to the nostril. So i thinking is this the effect of the accupuncture last thursday or it must be the lysine. And my sleep that night has some improvement. The following day (saturday) upon rising i took lysine again before meal and wow the effect is good that i went out of the house to buy food. At night i took again and slept really improving. Right now what did the lysine is doing that is helping me now. Though i still feel some weak tremors but not compared as before so definitely an improvement.

burtlancast

Other therapies for coronary disease are
- Vit E 800 IU/day ( look for the books by the Shute brothers)
- chelation therapy

Maybe we should make a sticky with all those.

amethyst

Hey papaya,

Yeah it used to be my favorite supp on pre peat times also. But I had to take so many cofactors and pills that despite feeling great I was seeing myself like a 80 year old man. With one of those pill-dispenser boxes. Plus I didn't know much about nutrition back then so I was probably underfeeding myself + reving up metabolism... plus eating PUFAS. Plus detox reactions. NO BUENO. But there was something unique to it. I think it does more than simply help thyroid. That's why I'm sad there's not more research on it. Who could be interested on researching such a simple, cheap and unpatentable product? One of this days I'll try it again and see what happens.

I don't want to sound crazy but iodine had some strange effects. I clearly remember one day I took iodine in the morning, went downtown to buy some clothes, and when I was going to pay, a few seconds or miliseconds (It was very quick) I could hear in my mind the exact words the cashier would use, with the exact same cadence, volume and tone and HER voice, not a generic one. I never heard her voice before btw. It was precognition. Never in my life have had that before or after.

Now what you say about iodoral in Japan is very strange. Are you sure you are talking about Iodoral, or the 120mg potassium iodide pills that are used in case of nuclear emergencies to protect the thyroid ? Sorry if you already know this but Lugol/Iodoral is a mixture of elemental iodine (I2) + Potassium iodide (KI). It's two different forms of iodine. The former one is not found in nature, only in supps like Lugol/Iodoral. It creates lots of detox reactions.

Also, doses higher than 100mg of Iodine shut down the thyroid for 48-72 hours, as described in the Wolff-Chaikoff effect. So you have to take this into account when you experiment with iodine.
I was using iodine pre-peat too and had some weird effects as well, altho I tend to know what people are thinking with or without iodine lol. I was going to say, the iodine could have been effecting your pineal gland, and that's why you experienced what you did. Iodine is powerful stuff. It can effect your dreams as well. I still have some but have not used it as of late.

Makrosky

I was using iodine pre-peat too and had some weird effects as well, altho I tend to know what people are thinking with or without iodine lol. I was going to say, the iodine could have been effecting your pineal gland, and that's why you experienced what you did. Iodine is powerful stuff. It can effect your dreams as well. I still have some but have not used it as of late.
Is this why you have a gem in your third eye ? In the avatar.

amethyst

Is this why you have a gem in your third eye ? In the avatar.
hahaha lol no, I just use that avatar because it looks like me I think. Ironically, the avatar's name is Amethyst and amethyst's are my favorite gemstones :D

Makrosky

hahaha lol no, I just use that avatar because it looks like me I think. Ironically, the avatar's name is Amethyst and amethyst's are my favorite gemstones :D
You talk about iodine, pineal gland, gemstones... I'm sure you're into orgonites and stuff like that.

amethyst

You talk about iodine, pineal gland, gemstones... I'm sure you're into orgonites and stuff like that.
No, not into organite, as far as making it. I've read about it tho. And I know about the pineal gland. Hey, can't a girl appreciate gemstones for their beauty without being labeled a "type"?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals