new, need help single mom: thyroid and progest-e

Mittir

sunmountain said:
Also, what is the opinion on taking glucose? I remember growing up overseas that athletes were given glucose right after the games. Wouldn't that be the easiest way to give the body what it needs to make glycogen to sleep through the night?
thanks

Starch is a long chain of glucose and glucose is absorbed very quickly and
in healthy person it is metabolised without causing high blood glucose.
But even in healthy person it requires more insulin than fructose.
RP has mentioned many reasons for taking fructose and mixture of glucose
fructose instead of just glucose/starch. Glucose and sucrose are good at refilling muscle
glycogen than fructose. But fructose, galactose and sucrose are
way more efficient at refilling liver glycogen. There are products with 67 percent
glucose and 33 percent fructose mixture as post work out drinks.
This shows mixture of glucose and fructose or glucose and galactose( Lactose)
are better than only fructose or only glucose in terms of refilling both liver and muscle glycogen.Diabetic people can metabolise fructose easily but have problem metabolising glucose properly.Fructose also increases metabolism of glucose .
Fructose metabolism does not need insulin but starch/glucose needs a lot of
insulin and this causes surge in stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol in turn
blocks metabolism of sugar to keep blood sugar steady. Mainstream propaganda
is that fructose increases triglyceride and cholesterol and causes fatty liver.
In RP world we do not see high cholesterol as a bad thing and studies showing
fatty liver were not designed properly.Fructose has many other health benefits
like lowering phosphate, working like T3 , anti-serotonin effect, iron chelator,
anti-oxidant etc.
Edit: In earlier posts i wrote about benefits of apple juice and later i found out that
many brands of fruit juices have high level of fluoride.Here is the link to a post about fluoride.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4128&start=10#p51377

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't use much fructose simply because I eat a lot of fruit, honey and drink fruit juices. I use it when I would use table sugar and split it 50:50/ table sugar:fructose.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

oops did not see Blossom's and MIttir's latest replies. Reading them now.

thank you!!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I honestly can't say that I noticed any difference using fructose as opposed to table sugar. I wish I had some great experience to share but I really haven't picked up on anything. I'm about run out so I will probably see how it goes without the fructose. If I notice any difference from not using it I can always start back up. That's just my personal experience.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Hi Mitttir, Thanks for explaining the relationships between the sugars. I have been taking 1:1 fructose: sucrose yesterday and today, but had trouble falling asleep for a long time last night.

I'm wondering now if it was the change from OJ to apple juice that somehow caused me to sleep because even on apple juice plus fructose:sucrose (in tea), I'm still waking up or not falling asleep.

The insomnia resolution was so dramatic the very night after my first day drinking apple juice. I might try switching back to OJ tomorrow and see what happens.

The fluoride content in juices would apply to OJ as well as apple juice? I am drinking only organic juice from whole foods, though I suppose that does not prevent them from having fluoride. If the fluoride is in the apples from the soil as the article said, then even home juicing will not solve anything (not that I have time to home juice). Are you still drinking apple juice these days?

I am quite at my wits end with the insomnia. I am eating all day till I can't eat anymore and my stomach sticks out. Don't know what else I can do. Will try switching juices again.

Blossom, Thanks for your replies too. As you see the fructose doesn't seem to be doing much to help the insomnia, so don't know if I'll continue it after a few days.

Thank you both.

Mittir

I am still drinking 1-2 quarts of apple juice a day and feeling quite good.
I am bit confused about your condition now. You were having good sleep
with apple juice. Did your recent sleep problem start when you were only drinking
apple juice or when you added fructose to apple juice?
I do not know how pure those fructose are. High fructose corn syrup is known
to have 4-5 times calories than listed in the form of something between starch and sugar.
It is always safer to stick to something that is working.
I believe organic apple juice would be fluoride free unless they are
irrigating with fluoridated water. From that 1991 list it seems like
most juices are made from concentrate and they are possibly adding
fluoridated water. Fructose content of apple depends on the variety of apples
they are using. They usually do not mention that in the bottle but
you can experiment with other brands of organic apple juice to find out if one is better
than the others. Excess thyroid can cause sleep problem.
Are you bag breathing? Have you tried cyproheptaide or pure Benadryl

Edit: Another idea is to buy concentrated organic apple juice if it is available.
This way you can get a lot more calories without feeling full.
You can also make your own apple juice concentrate from regular juice by heating.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

The sleep problem started while on apple juice only, which is why I turned to try fructose, but the apple juice brand was different when I was sleeping because that was when I was at the retreat and from a fountain at the cafeteria. When I came home I went to Whole Foods and bought an organic brand there, but started waking up.

I can't get the fountain juice obviously, but I can try different organic brands apple juice.

To rule out excess thyroid, I could omit the bedtime T3? I take T3 now in teeny amounts throughout the day, so missing the bed dosage shouldn't technically be a biggie.

I've slacked on the bag breathing but am restarting it right now.

I have not tried cypro but have been reading about it on the forums a bit. Is it to solve the endotoxins...I forget. I also read about easing into it very slowly. I can order it and try it...did they say from mexican pharmacy?

Your idea of concentrated apple juice is simply brilliant! I will go hunting for it tomorrow.

Thank you!

Mittir

RP strongly recommends T3 before bed for insomnia. I think removing T3 completely
is not a good idea. May be you can try a smaller dose. If there is not enough glycogen stored,
extra T3 can cause stress response by increasing energy demand.

Cypro is antihistamine and anti-serotonin. Anti-histamine part helps with sleep.
Lot of people have good result with cypro. My experience was mixed. It improved a lot of
things but gave digestive problem. It is one of the listed side effects and i usually get
bad reaction to almost every medicine. If digestion is not an issue it can be very helpful.
Lowered serotonin improves health in many ways. Lowering serotonin is one of the goal
of RP's dietary guidelines. You see from your experience that all apple juices are not
created equal. That is why experimentation is so important.

natedawggh

sunmountain said:
My diet is mostly vegetarian with occasional wild salmon thrown in. More on the low carb side, though enough fat (butter, ghee, coconut oil).

I'm not sure how you can be vegetarian and low carb? Low carb is BAD, BAD, BAD. Your body runs best on good carbs—fruit sugar, milk, even cane sugar. Your body needs it to produce thyroid hormone and CO2, which is the protective element of an active metabolism. Low carb cuts off the fuel source.

Salmon = BAD. The oils depress metabolism, the amino acid balance of the muscle meats depress metabolism (as do the muscle meats of land meat). If you want to have seafood—shrimp, oysters, muscles, clams are much better options, have better protein balance, and better nutrient profiles. Liver is great, if you like liver. All fat slows metabolism except for coconut oil. Saturated fats are good for you, but if you want to jump start your energy, cut way down on the fat.

Another way to jump start your metabolism and increase energy is to limit your diet for just a little while to LOTS of fruit, low fat milk, oj, coffee (no half/half for now...and don't overdue the liquids) you can make Jello from scratch (not the Brand packages). If you need more variety you can have the listed seafood (avoid fish), and potatoes unless you feeling sluggish, because they can contribute to that. Get enough salt, aspirin can help, and Thiamine & Niacinamide can be very helpful as well.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

2 nights ago, I woke up in morning feeling rested. I woke up twice during the night but fell back to sleep relatively quickly. (Last night I slept through but doesn't count cuz I went to bed at 1am after evening out.) Here's what I did different 2 nights ago:

- took fructose during day time only; not at bed time. 2 teaspoons fructose along with 2 t sugar in two cups tea.
- bag breathing
- one drop progest-e at bedtime rubbed on gums.

So it could have been the fructose or the progest-e or bag breathing that made the difference. So I'll hold the jury on the fructose for now, and not use progest-e until I know what's going on with fructose and bag breathing.

Continuing as usual with T3. Will look into cypro.

Nate -- I stopped low carb when I came to this forum. Eating 2000+ calories now and 80-80-250 protein-fat-carbs, usually more than 250 carbs. No salmon. Have not eliminated pufa entirely due to oatmeal and beans/lentils. No meat and coffee, but do take Great Lakes hydrolyzed collagen and increased shrimp. Also A, D, E, K, Niacinamide, cascara. Will be adding other B's.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

I would like to consume much more fruit every day in whatever form. It seems frozen fruit might be better as it might be picked when ripe. Am looking into fruit juice concentrate as too much water in juice becomes a problem. In terms of fructose content, which fruits and fruit forms (juice, frozen, dried) have the most content?

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

And fruit puree -- apple sauce -- what other puree is high in fructose?
thanks

Mittir

I know that Apple, mango, Pears and watermelon have high fructose to glucose ratio.
Some variety of honeys have up to 65 percent fructose.
Interestingly i have problem with all these fruits in whole , these are known to cause
digestive problem, probably due to high pectin and fiber content. Mango has other issues
as a part of poison oak family and also other sugar alcohol. Other fruits have
50-50 glucose fructose ratio. I feel like i need a higher amount of fructose to feel good.
You might feel good on 50-50 fructose glucose ratio. I remember drinking those
Knudsen cherry juices, it was good. Recently I was listening to
RP's audio interviews on sugar and, It is clear that fructose plays a very big
role in restoring metabolism, even increasing temperature.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Yesterday I ate and drank tons of fruit and juice, including apple juice concentrate by cascadian farm (4 oz of that...extremely sweet).

Even managed half cup milk at bedtime...yaaaay!

A drop of progest-e at bedtime.

Still woke up at night a couple times though went back to sleep. :(

Woke up in morning feeling fatigued; hard to get out of bed; body like lead. Today all day also.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is glycogen storage or something else.

I could avoid the bedtime milk and progest-e tonight and see if the leaden feeling is not there tomorrow. Or I could take them again and see.

Mittir mentioned excess thyroid possibility. I'm taking 25mcg T4, and about a third tablet of T3 divided during the day and at bedtime.

Very confusing.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Insomnia is really bad. No matter how much fruit and fructose I eat all day long.

What does excess thyroid mean? Does it mean conversion problem in my case since I have hypo symptoms?

I will check forums to see where to buy cypro.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Have been experimenting with OJ and apple juice for insomnia -- different brands, different times of day. Last couple of days glass OJ at bedtime, Uncle Matt's and Indian River brands, help sleep most of the night, waking once but falling back to sleep.

Trying to increase T3 slowly. Decreased bedtime T4 to 12.5mcg from 25 in a bid to help insomnia. Temp stuck around 96.8, though this morning pulse was 80 -- what does low temp, high pulse mean?

Really need help with mood right now. Very low; lots of tears. Missing my daughter, feeling a bit lost. The low mood has been going on for several weeks. I realize it might have to do with hypo. But really need something to keep it up -- any supplements, whatever. I'm taking B1 (Swanson) and Niacinamide 100 x 3. And A, D, E, K.

thanks

tara

Could try more food.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

continuing to eat as much as I can, usually 2000+.

got a bit of diarrhea today and yesterday, which is unusual.

My teeth are now sensitive all the time due to lots of juice even with baking soda in it. I read over the remineralization thread and ordered the special toothpaste from UK and the xylitol protocol of Dan.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals