Need Help With Serotonin Syndrome

Blake

I got serotonin syndrome 3 weeks ago. After the first week it seemed like it was going away then now it seems like I have light chills, light muscle twitching and a weird sensation in my head. Before I got it I was taking a lot of herbs and supplements that naturally produce serotonin. The doctor wrote Zoloft for me, later that night I went to the er with burning skin, chills and muscle spasms. I only took the Zoloft once but When I went to the er they said it was a Allergic reaction. I was wondering what type of foods do I need to eat. What do I need to do to help the situation and what can I do to not make the problem worse? Thanks blake

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Gelatin, Stress, Longevity
Since excess tryptophan is known to produce muscle pain, myositis, even muscular dystrophy, gelatin is an appropriate food for helping to correct those problems, simply because of its lack of tryptophan. (Again, the popular nutritional idea of amino acids as simply building blocks for tissues is exactly wrong--muscle protein can exacerbate muscle disease.) All of the conditions involving excess prolactin, serotonin, and cortisol (autism, postpartum and premenstrual problems, Cushing's disease, "diabetes," impotence, etc.) should benefit from reduced consumption of tryptophan. But the specifically antiinflammatory amino acids in gelatin also antagonize the excitatory effects of the tryptophan-serotonin-estrogen- prolactin system.
From Ray's article on Gelatin, Stress and Longevity (posted by Charlie).

Famotidine Is A Powerful Anti-serotonin Drug, Can Even Treat Serotonin Syndrome

If you are eating high tryptophan foods like muscle meats it would be beneficial to have some gelatin with the meal.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I haven't used famotidine myself so I can't really say what would be a good brand. I know there are forum members who have used it so a forum search might turn up some information. Cyproheptadine is another option for serotonin syndrome but it's not OTC in the US. Sorry, I'm not sure where you're located.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Looks like forum members @GAF and @Peata have used it before so hopefully one of them or someone else who has taken it can tell you what brand they used. It's also known as Pepcid in the US if that helps any.
Edited to correct spelling error.

OP
B

Blake

Looks like forum members @GAF and @Peata have used it before so hopefully one of them or someone else who has taken it can tell you what brand they used. It's also known as Pepcid in the US if that helps any.
What types of foods were you eating when you had it

Blossom

Forum Supporter
What types of foods were you eating when you had it
I haven't had it that I'm aware of but I did have a high serotonin metabolite in my urine about 6 years ago when I was on a paleo diet eating excessive muscle meats and very little carbs.
I was just pointing out some links that might help your situation.

fradon

I got serotonin syndrome 3 weeks ago. After the first week it seemed like it was going away then now it seems like I have light chills, light muscle twitching and a weird sensation in my head. Before I got it I was taking a lot of herbs and supplements that naturally produce serotonin. The doctor wrote Zoloft for me, later that night I went to the er with burning skin, chills and muscle spasms. I only took the Zoloft once but When I went to the er they said it was a Allergic reaction. I was wondering what type of foods do I need to eat. What do I need to do to help the situation and what can I do to not make the problem worse? Thanks blake

if your serotonin is coming from LEAKY GUT then you need to seal that first by avoiding gluten and oats and anyting else that contributes to it. try a protein diet cooked in a crock pot or slow cooked meats as they release a lot of glutamate which helps close leaky gut.

jasmine or basamti rice are good sources of glucose that do not cause leaky gut.

Vinero

Fastest way to deplete serotonin is taking some BCAA (branched chain amino acids).
Taking between 5-10 grams of BCAA with some fruit juice or soda will lower serotonin significantly within a few hours.

OP
B

Blake

Fastest way to deplete serotonin is taking some BCAA (branched chain amino acids).
Taking between 5-10 grams of BCAA with some fruit juice or soda will lower serotonin significantly within a few hours.
What about Serotonin syndrome? How long do he symptoms last?

GAF

Sound Body famoditine at my Big Lots is $2.70 for 25 20mg tablets. This is the best price by far I have seen. I grab a few bottles frequently and take everyday morning and usually night. Stops any reflux. Good Stuff. I buy a few bottles at a time and then combine the pills into one bottle so one bottle lasts a long time. Other than the reflux, I am not sure what else it does because I am always throwing several things at everything.

Jerimy Brown

What about Serotonin syndrome? How long do he symptoms last?

I had it pretty bad, and it took me 3+months to recover to the point I could drink alcohol, eat what I wanted, etc... Then I got complacent and had a little relapse from some medication my doctor gave me for an injury, so I am now working back from a small relapse that is taking time too.

My advise is give it time, and even when you think you are 100%, give it some more time, and don't get complacent like I did and end up on round 2 like me, or prolonging your healing ;)

That being said, anyone who comes across this, and has had a 100% recovery already, please share with us how long it took... I see lots of people asking this question, all over this forum, but don't know if I have ever talked to anyone that's 100% recovered, since those of us on this forum seem to be in the midst of recovery.

Jerimy Brown

Recently had a bit of a relapse with my serotonin syndrome recovery, and seemed to be much more sensitive to everything than the initial go round. My wife just happened to be reading a book on health and shared a chapter of the book about drinking celery juice. I started drinking 16oz of celery juice, very first thing in the morning on an empty stomach about a week ago, and I can not express what this seems to have done for my guy health… I couldn’t eat anything but rice, and steamed potatoes a week ago, and this morning after my morning celery juice, I had turkey, potatoes, green beans, made a wild blueberry smoothie, and I am barely feeling any effects from it. I just had to come share this with this community, and hopefully it will really help someone else, the way it has helped me.

Probably depends on the type of juicer you have, but if you have a good masticating juicer, about 24 fl oz of celery, should yield 16 oz of pulp free juice. You should juice it as close to the time you plan to drinking it as possible. You can do it the night before if kept in an airtight mason jar, but I recommend juicing it right before you drink it. Drink this first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. From what I understand, you can do this twice a day for even more dramatic results (2nd time, make sure you wait at least 2 hours from previous meal), so I am getting ready to start twice daily juices today. One note of warning, I got really positive effects the first several days, then for a couple days, I got diarrhea after, but today the that went away, and I felt like I turned another corner with my gut health, so I tried a full fledged meal this morning,(mentioned above) and was shocked to find I did not get any of the usual negative effects. I always give the juice about .5-1hour before following it with food.

I really hope this helps others the way it has helped me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals