Need Help With Intolerance To Vitamin D Supplements

Mossy

says who you need it 5x?
Here is a quote from Haidut:
"No, I meant 5:1 ratio. If you are taking 1,000 IU vitamin D that means 5,000 IU vitamin A. But if you are taking 5,000 IU vitamin D that means 25,000 IU vitamin A. As is commonly the case in biology, it is the ratio that matters rather than any specific amount."

raypeatclips

says who you need it 5x?

I have seen that figure mentioned a few times, not sure where it originated?

I have tried A topically several times and it seems to have the same effect. The effect may be a bit less, but not much. I did consider acetate, but I remember reading it is the more potent form. It may be worth a shot. Thanks for offering that.

What are your symptoms? Peat has mentioned he got negative vitamin a reactions if it even touched his lips. As far as I know he puts it on his lower legs and feet. I am not sure acetate would help you but I feel positive things from it so thought I'd mention it .

Here is a quote from Haidut:
"No, I meant 5:1 ratio. If you are taking 1,000 IU vitamin D that means 5,000 IU vitamin A. But if you are taking 5,000 IU vitamin D that means 25,000 IU vitamin A. As is commonly the case in biology, it is the ratio that matters rather than any specific amount."

What are your symptoms? Peat has mentioned he got negative vitamin a reactions if it even touched his lips. As far as I know he puts it on his lower legs and feet. I am not sure acetate would help you but I feel positive things from it so thought I'd mention it .

i dont know the reasons behind it, but if you have a low metabolic rate, and your D is low, and then you take 10k IU of D and then slam down 50k IU of A, i don't know how safe that would be, since vitamin A inhibits thyroid function. maybe try checking your temperature or pulse after the A and see how if it went down, that might be a good indicator.

raypeatclips

i dont know the reasons behind it, but if you have a low metabolic rate, and your D is low, and then you take 10k IU of D and then slam down 50k IU of A, i don't know how safe that would be, since vitamin A inhibits thyroid function. maybe try checking your temperature or pulse after the A and see how if it went down, that might be a good indicator.

Yeah I think it is very variable. I know Peat suggests an amount of liver that gives something like 20-30k iu 1-4 times a month which would be a lot less than the amount "required" if someone was taking a large D dose as you mentioned.

Mossy

I feel agitated and maybe amped, at least at some point after taking it; I then don't feel well, in general, like something is off. I also get moderate to severe dryness (internal and external) depending on the dose. I've stopped drinking vitamin fortified milk, due to the added A (and potential for less available nutrients), and I do believe I do better because of that. I know that I no longer have any orange tint to my hands.

I think I will try it topically again. At one point I was attempting to kill two birds with one stone and was adding it to my scalp topical, for hair-loss. Maybe the lower legs and feet would be better.

Mossy

Yeah I think it is very variable. I know Peat suggests an amount of liver that gives something like 20-30k iu 1-4 times a month which would be a lot less than the amount "required" if someone was taking a large D dose as you mentioned.
This is my preferred approach, to get it from liver. I was under the assumption that I should be taking A every time I take D, which would require more than my once a week liver. I think I'll try a hybrid approach: liver, plus topical A -- building up as I go, watching for symptoms.

Lurker

Natedawg has mention on his blog that supplemental vit A and D can librate free iron causing problems. I don’t know if that is what you are experiencing but it’s something to consider.

Also consider the dose and any non peaty excipients.

Mossy

Natedawg has mention on his blog that supplemental vit A and D can librate free iron causing problems. I don’t know if that is what you are experiencing but it’s something to consider.

Also consider the dose and any non peaty excipients.
Interesting. So, is the thought that eventually this free iron issue will settle, or, as long as you're taking A and D, you'll be vulnerable to this free iron?

Lurker

Interesting. So, is the thought that eventually this free iron issue will settle, or, as long as you're taking A and D, you'll be vulnerable to this free iron?

I’m not sure. I think he was advocating avoiding those supplements especially vit A. But perhaps adding in some anti iron supplements into the regime to offset would work. Nate doesn’t provide references so you can’t dig into his statements for the further context.

Mossy

I’m not sure. I think he was advocating avoiding those supplements especially vit A. But perhaps adding in some anti iron supplements into the regime to offset would work. Nate doesn’t provide references so you can’t dig into his statements for the further context.
Ok, thanks for sharing what you know. I'll continue to see what else I can find on this.

Dave Clark

Liver is probably high in iron, so that may be the iron problem. Nobody on this forum would recommend cod liver oil, but that would have the A and D without the iron. If you are a meat eater, male or non-menstruating female, and up in age, high iron is a concern. Phlebotomy or IP-6 are good proven methods of keep iron levels from getting too high. I personally don't trust supplemental forms of vitamin A and D from the things I've read. Unfortunately, anything with omega-3 is not recommended by Peaters, but a good extra virgin cod liver oil is one of the best natural sources of vitamin A and D. Sunlight, or a good sunlamp like the Sperti or Solarc can give you the necessary natural D, but A will need to be had by eating some animal product, like liver.

raypeatclips

Liver is probably high in iron, so that may be the iron problem. Nobody on this forum would recommend cod liver oil, but that would have the A and D without the iron. If you are a meat eater, male or non-menstruating female, and up in age, high iron is a concern. Phlebotomy or IP-6 are good proven methods of keep iron levels from getting too high. I personally don't trust supplemental forms of vitamin A and D from the things I've read. Unfortunately, anything with omega-3 is not recommended by Peaters, but a good extra virgin cod liver oil is one of the best natural sources of vitamin A and D. Sunlight, or a good sunlamp like the Sperti or Solarc can give you the necessary natural D, but A will need to be had by eating some animal product, like liver.

You don't trust vit A or D supplements, but you trust cod liver oil? You sure you're on the right forum?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

Dave Clark

You don't trust vit A or D supplements, but you trust cod liver oil? You sure you're on the right forum?

I
I am not sure what I trust in this world today, but...what I meant was that cod liver oil was a good source of A and D. I didn't say to use it, maybe it sounded that way. Let me just say that I read a lot of posts on this forum that show that people are conflicted about certain Peat oriented view points. I believe that PUFAs are not good, I also believe consuming too much iron is not good, I also believe there are downsides to synthetic vitamins, etc. Coconut oil is good, but for people who are allergy sensitive, MCT oils can exacerbate their allergies. Just like omega-3 oil, the PUFAs may not be good for us, yet you hear about people getting helped with their conditions using cod liver oil and fish oils, etc. ( I know, they are probably short term effects, and that long term not good). I wish there was a natural vitamin D and A supplement that had no omega-3. I am good with vitamin D, I get sunlight, but with A it seems that something always comes with it that you don't want, like iron or PUFAs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals