Does "improving" Serotonin Receptors Help Or Hinder Serotonin Sensitivity?

m1210

So I've been using this audio maker Sapien Medicine (Youtube) and he has this new audio for healing Amygdala. In it there is a serotonin component and the maker explains it like this:

"...It pretty much just repairs the serotonin receptors in the amygdala. When I mention develop, it means that in repairing it, this also enhances their functioning. Better functioning serotonin receptors lead to more positive moods. Of course, too much serotonin can be bad as well but this field isn’t stimulating serotonin production. Just healing the receptors so they work the way they are supposed to.
And as I said, it heals the receptors in the Amygdala itself. The forebrain controls the amygdala via serotonin, so the better functioning receptor, the less of a harder response it needs. It’s a sorta negative feedback loop which is what the field is fixing."

I was wondering if meddling with serotonin receptors is dangerous for people who are sensitive with serotonin issues from serotonin syndrome and who continuously experience sensitivities? Also, skepticism aside and purely from a theological perspective of what he said the audio does please :)

Last edited:

orewashin

Sounds like pseudoscience. How would anyone know how a specific audio affects serotonin receptors in the amygdala?

aguineapig

You probably want decreased receptor sensitivity in the amygdala. Serotonin release is part of the amygdala reaction i.e. fight or flight.

OP
M

m1210

You probably want decreased receptor sensitivity in the amygdala. Serotonin release is part of the amygdala reaction i.e. fight or flight.

it says "repair" so it should 'improve' its functioning.. does that mean more or less sensitive ??

OP
M

m1210

Sounds like pseudoscience. How would anyone know how a specific audio affects serotonin receptors in the amygdala?

from the description do you think it would improve or worse serotonin issues ? thanks

tankasnowgod

Substances like cyproheptadine work by blocking the action of various serotonin "receptors." You don't really want to "improve" their function, not if you are following any of Peat's ideas.

If you are experiencing more positive moods from that audio, that's probably a good thing, but in that case, it's probably not doing it through the described "improvement" of serotonin receptors.