Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Orange Juice could be applied topically to help with hair loss.

It sounds crazy, but it might actually work. Its easy to do and cost-effective.

In one thread on this forum it became obvious that the NLRP3 inflammosome is major player in balding.
Both Narirutin and Didymin inhibit NLRP3, as I posted above.
- NLRP3 Inflammasome Cause Of Male Pattern Baldness

In another thread it emerged that TNFa and Interferon gamma ,other inflammatory molecules play a crucial role in balding via inceasing prolactin, so inhibiting those should surely help.
Again, Narirutin and Didymin inhibit those.
- How prolactin causes hair loss

If that wasn't enough, RP once recommended topical honey for hair loss, simply as a good source of sugar. OJ delivers that as well.

"Ray Peat: I've been thinking that with a concentrated glucose solution, you could probably activate hair growth just by keeping your scalp moistened with glucose."
- Did Ray Peat just recommended topical honey for hair ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

6. It restores steroidogenic enzymes and Testosterone that were lowered by an endorcrine diruptor
- Protective effect of didymin against 2, 3, 7, 8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin-induced reproductive toxicity in male rats - Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology

7. It ameliorates NAFLD via TLR4 inhibition
- Didymin ameliorates dexamethasone-induced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease by inhibiting TLR4/NF-κB and PI3K/Akt pathways in C57BL/6J mice - PubMed

GTW

The eponymous herb, Monarda didyma, aka Oswego Tea is one of my favorites.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

CreakyJoints

Thank you so much! I am fascinated. My immediate thought was to wonder how the concentrations of these flavonoids might increase or decrease when examined in marmalade - but I'm also very curious about the volatility of these compounds in general. I've found a few articles that might give clues which have been pay-walled off - if I have time this weekend I will try my best to look through as many of the papers posted above as I can, and also find additional material which might be of interest.

GTW

Monarda\bee balm genus are minty. However the other species are too strong in the thyme spectrum. Monarda fistulosa is called sweet leaf by Native Americans but Oswego Tea is a much more pleasant flavor. Bright red flowers have a slight sweetness if you bite one. aka Firecracker flower.

Lejeboca

Monarda\bee balm genus are minty. However the other species are too strong in the thyme spectrum. Monarda fistulosa is called sweet leaf by Native Americans but Oswego Tea is a much more pleasant flavor. Bright red flowers have a slight sweetness if you bite one. aka Firecracker flower.
It seems that there is more thymol in Monarda Didyma than in Monarda Fistulosa, while both show excellent antibacterial properties. See for example:

Mattarelli, P., Epifano, F., Minardi, P., Di Vito, M., Modesto, M., Barbanti, L., et al. (2017). Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of essential oils from aerial parts of Monarda didyma and Monarda fistulosa cultivated in Italy. J. Essent. Oil Bearing Plants 20 (1), 76–86. doi:10.1080/0972060x.2016.1278184

Abstract: Monarda spp. are promising Lamiaceae due to essential oil (EO) composition and antimicrobial
activity. To investigate these properties, Monarda didyma and M. fistulosa were grown for two years in two
Italian sites for EO extraction (distillation), analysis (GC and GC/MS), and antimicrobial activity (microplate
diffusion broth method). EO yield greatly increased from first to second year of cultivation (0.27 and 0.51 % in
2013 and 2014, respectively), showing minor differences between M. didyma and M. fistulosa. Conversely, EO
composition significantly varied between the two species and years. Of the fifteen major compounds identified,
eight were shared by the two species. However, the amounts differed, especially in thymol (62 vs. 31 % in M.
didyma vs. M. fistulosa) opposed to α- and β-phellandrene (their average, 1 % in M. didyma and 16 % in M.
fistulosa).
An increase of thymol was observed between 2013 and 2014 in both species (average, +11 %),
reflecting juvenile plants showing only vegetative organs (2013) vs. fully flowered plants (2014). Despite such
differences, EO’s from the two Monarda species exhibited a similar activity against pathogenic and non-
pathogenic strains of fungi and bacteria from human, animal and plant source. In general, Monarda EO’s
showed a lower minimum inhibitory concentration, i.e. a stronger activity, against pathogenic (Escherichia
coli, Erwinia amylovora and Candida albicans) than beneficial microorganisms (Bifidobacterium animalis
and Lactobacillus casei). The higher susceptibility of pathogenic microorganisms supports the use of Monarda
EO’s as antimicrobial agents with a favourable profile of selectivity. Applications are envisaged in food
preservation, plant protection and human health.

akgrrrl

Glorious info and recommend, thanks.

Lejeboca

Perhaps it is rosmarinic acid that detracts you from M. fistulosa taste?

From

Polyphenols and Pharmacological Screening of a Monarda fistulosa L. dry Extract Based on a Hydrodistilled Residue By-Product
1704773623500.png

But I have still no eye deer why M. didyma is called this way: I didn't see any paper mentioning didymin. Perhaps, it is just historic (mis)name?

GTW

Interesting info. Of course thymol is not thyme, butyrate is not butter, didymin isn't didyma, trigonelline is not trigonella (fenugreek) although associated by name.
I have grown several Monarda species. Oswego Tea (didyma) is by far the best to my liking.
I believe another Monarda is highest in thymol, was grown during WWI for antiseptic use when overseas thyme sources were restricted? Horsemint\M punctata.

Last edited:

GTW

Rosmarinic acid is named for rosemary. But higher content in other herbs.
Don't give botanists or chemists any encouragement to rename things more rationally.

Dave Clark

I also do not hear much on this either:

haidut

Forum Supporter

Thanks, interesting properties indeed. One thing I noticed is that both of them are basically glycosides of naringenin. So, when consumed orally both will get metabolized into free naringenin before getting absorbed from the GI tract into the blood. Thus, orally their effects are likely equivalent to naringenin and if there are some unique effects specific to the glycoside forms, then an injection or an IV route would be needed.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thanks, interesting properties indeed. One thing I noticed is that both of them are basically glycosides of naringenin. So, when consumed orally both will get metabolized into free naringenin before getting absorbed from the GI tract into the blood. Thus, orally their effects are likely equivalent to naringenin and if there are some unique effects specific to the glycoside forms, then an injection or an IV route would be needed.
Good point. I haven't looked into dydim's metabolism, but for nariturin this seems to be true. There are two main metabolites: naringenin and naringenin chalcone, which has its own benefits but can also be converted to naringenin.
- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1878535223004112

Interestingly a significant portion gets metbolized through the gut microbiome to new metbolites like hydroxycinnamic acid which has benefits of its own (Hydroxycinnamic Acids and Their Derivatives: Cosmeceutical Significance, Challenges and Future Perspectives, a Review) and I think it can be converted to caffeic and chlorogenic acid as well.

"Another pathway occurred, in which naringenin and naringenin chalcone were cleaved by the microbiota-mediated ring fission of unabsorbed flavonoids to produce p-hydroxyphenylpropionic acid, p-hydroxycinnamic acid and their isomers, as well as the metabolites excreted by enterohepatic circulation (Zeng et al., 2020a, Zeng et al., 2020b)."

Topically you dont have such an excessive metabolization, so that might make those flavonoids a good topical alternative, for example for hair loss, as i talked about above. Especially since narirutin seems to have a stronger anti-inflammatory effect than naringenin. Im just not sure if orange juice isn't too acidic and abrasive for the skin.
"Among the compounds tested, narirutin exhibited the most potent anti-inflammatory effect against TNF-α, NO, and iNOS"
- Comparison of the inhibition effects of naringenin and its glycosides on LPS-induced inflammation in RAW 264.7 macrophages - PubMed

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Anyone using citrus bergamot?

Tiaki Toroa

Forum Supporter
Anyone using citrus bergamot?

I took my first Bergamot capsule this morning, Dave. Are you still taking it? Have you noticed any benefits so far?

Dave Clark

I took my first Bergamot capsule this morning, Dave. Are you still taking it? Have you noticed any benefits so far?
I rotate it with nobiletin. I also use hesperidin, and may include a narigenin supplement as well. I think all of these citrus bioflavanoids are beneficial, and should be incorporated, especially if you do not consume much orange juice or other citrus foods. I will be growing some monarda fistulosa this year, it was on my list of plants to get, and this thread reminded me to start growing some.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals