Mexican Coke Without Toxic Additives

Cirion

I found mexican coke at wal-mart last night, but noticed it still has the same junk additives as regular coke like the caramel coloring. I refuse to ingest ANYTHING these days unless it is 100% natural. I thought mexican coke was literally sugar and CO2 basically?

TeaRex14

I think they still add coloring to it. The main difference is the cane sugar instead of HFCS. I just drink normal coke, I don't really have access to anything else. Unless anyone knows of an American soda that's made with sugar? "High fructose" corn syrup is really only 55% fructose, so it's more balanced with glucose then the name would suggest.

milk_lover

It's weird that Americans who invented Coca Cola has junk in their Coke while we here in the UAE thousands of miles from the origin place of the product enjoy our Coke with real sugar and less offensive ingredients.

Sheik

I think they still add coloring to it. The main difference is the cane sugar instead of HFCS. I just drink normal coke, I don't really have access to anything else. Unless anyone knows of an American soda that's made with sugar? "High fructose" corn syrup is really only 55% fructose, so it's more balanced with glucose then the name would suggest.
As far as real sugar, in American stores (just make sure you're not buying the HFCS versions!!!):
-Pepsi
-Mountain Dew
-Dr. Pepper (used to be available in cans, now only expensive bottles)
-Sierra Mist
-Dad's Root Beer

There might be more. There's also a 'variety' pack of Mexican pop you can get at Sam's Club with Coke, Sprite, and Orange Fanta (though Orange Fanta is gross in my opinion).

edit: Oddly enough, the fountain version of Sierra Mist uses HFCS while the cans/bottles have real sugar.

Last edited:

TeaRex14

It's weird that Americans who invented Coca Cola has junk in their Coke while we here in the UAE thousands of miles from the origin place of the product enjoy our Coke with real sugar and less offensive ingredients.
Kind of like how the whole world runs on the metric system, except America, lol. Probably because the corn industry has a big lobby here.

TeaRex14

As far as real sugar, in American stores (just make sure you're not buying the HFCS versions!!!):
-Pepsi
-Mountain Dew
-Dr. Pepper (used to be available in cans, now only expensive bottles)
-Sierra Mist

There might be more. There's also a 'variety' pack of Mexican pop you can get at Sam's Club with Coke, Sprite, and Orange Fanta (though Orange Fanta is gross in my opinion).
Thanks! I had no idea, I'll look into this.

milk_lover

Kind of like how the whole world runs on the metric system, except America, lol. Probably because the corn industry has a big lobby here.
Yeah basically lol. But I don't think Peat has a big issue with HFCS from what I remember.

TeaRex14

Yeah basically lol. But I don't think Peat has a big issue with HFCS from what I remember.
Yeah the only thing I remember him saying on the matter was sugar cane coke tasted better then HFCS coke. And that someone was suing Mexican coke, but that was many years ago, and whatever lawsuit is likely settled by now.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I have mixed feelings on HFCS. I am not sure that by itself its necessarily the worst, but the thing is foods and drinks that contain HFCS usually also contain many other offensive ingredients. That said, I don't do well on high carb foods or drinks that are too high in fructose relative to glucose.

TeaRex14

I have mixed feelings on HFCS. I am not sure that by itself its necessarily the worst, but the thing is foods and drinks that contain HFCS usually also contain many other offensive ingredients. That said, I don't do well on high carb foods or drinks that are too high in fructose relative to glucose.
Yeah that's probably normal. Too much fructose in relation to glucose can cause you to need more nutrients to process it, choline in particular.

ShotTrue

I found mexican coke at wal-mart last night, but noticed it still has the same junk additives as regular coke like the caramel coloring. I refuse to ingest ANYTHING these days unless it is 100% natural. I thought mexican coke was literally sugar and CO2 basically?
Don’t think there is a coke without “natural flavors” and other unnatural chemicals.
Mexican Coke tastes better than Regular, but Mexican sprite is worse.
Soda is probably just in the gutter for me

Aymen

i found a coke contains an ingredient called "plant extract" and also "E338" , is it safe?

Literally

One option would be to make your own... anyone who is interested can search for OpenCola. Also search youtube for "make your own coke/cola" etc. The hardest part might be getting a proper carbonation rig. You need a handful of essential oils (mostly citrus, also coriander IRRC) and a few other ingredients. Also you will be missing the 'deactivated' coca leaf extract that's apparently still used in real Coke... or whatever it is I've read Peat folks talking about.

Zpol

Yeah the only thing I remember him saying on the matter was sugar cane coke tasted better then HFCS coke. And that someone was suing Mexican coke, but that was many years ago, and whatever lawsuit is likely settled by now.

On the Herb doctors episode ''Sugar II" RP refers to a study done in Los Angeles in regards to HFCS resulting in fat gain moreso than sugar. They reported that there is a significant amount of starch remaining in HFCS (specifically in soft drinks), residual from corn, and that this stimulates insulin, storage of the starchy sugar, and thus fat gain. Dr. RP has mentioned the damaging effects of starchy carbs many times over and I would think in the form of soda it'd be the worst since it has no potassium or other nutrients to balance or slow the absorption of the starch.

Zpol

Blue sky is good, wish it came in glass bottles though. I think all the fruit flavored sodas have citric acid so that a bummer.
They have a cola flavor too but it has caramel color, and tartaric acid instead of citric acid.
Here's the cherry...

52732937_250627002513999_4062127532516835328_n.jpg

TeaRex14

On the Herb doctors episode ''Sugar II" RP refers to a study done in Los Angeles in regards to HFCS resulting in fat gain moreso than sugar. They reported that there is a significant amount of starch remaining in HFCS (specifically in soft drinks), residual from corn, and that this stimulates insulin, storage of the starchy sugar, and thus fat gain. Dr. RP has mentioned the damaging effects of starchy carbs many times over and I would think in the form of soda it'd be the worst since it has no potassium or other nutrients to balance or slow the absorption of the starch.
Interesting, I had no idea I'll definitely watch that one. I rather use plain sugar cane if at all possible.

TeaRex14

I think Hansen's is pretty good: Hansen's Natural Sodas.
Nice, are these found in stores or do you order them?

Blue sky is good, wish it came in glass bottles though. I think all the fruit flavored sodas have citric acid so that a bummer.
They have a cola flavor too but it has caramel color, and tartaric acid instead of citric acid.
Here's the cherry...

52732937_250627002513999_4062127532516835328_n.jpg
Do you know which stores to get these from?

Zpol

Do you know which stores to get these from?

I get them from a local health food store (it's called Free Market in Appleton, WI on the off chance you are in the area). I've seen them at other stores too, mainly ones that have a large natural foods section.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals