Mexican Coke Without Toxic Additives

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I get them from a local health food store (it's called Free Market in Appleton, WI on the off chance you are in the area). I've seen them at other stores too, mainly ones that have a large natural foods section.
I’ve seen them at Trader Joe’s in Indiana US.

TeaRex14

I get them from a local health food store (it's called Free Market in Appleton, WI on the off chance you are in the area). I've seen them at other stores too, mainly ones that have a large natural foods section.
I'm in Nashville, but we have a few health food stores and more then a couple whole foods, publix, trader joes, and places that sell merchandise that appeals to the health conscious. I'll look around for some, thanks.

Jsaute21

I found mexican coke at wal-mart last night, but noticed it still has the same junk additives as regular coke like the caramel coloring. I refuse to ingest ANYTHING these days unless it is 100% natural. I thought mexican coke was literally sugar and CO2 basically?
Doubt the caramel coloring is going to kill you man. Wouldn’t lose sleep over that. Ray has gone on record saying that Mexican cokes are healthy. I know I drink 2/3 every day and have no complaints.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Doubt the caramel coloring is going to kill you man. Wouldn’t lose sleep over that. Ray has gone on record saying that Mexican cokes are healthy. I know I drink 2/3 every day and have no complaints.

Oh I don't think it will kill me or anything. But I am very sensitive to anything that is not "Food". Probably more than the average person since I still have issues to recover from. For me personally, the possible benefits do not outweigh the cons. Perhaps if I do want to try something like it I would make some "soda" myself from scratch so I know the ingredients contained in it.

Sugar Bun

Make your own. Keg systems are relatively cheap, so you can make 19L at a time for very little cost.

kiran

Coke also has coca, cola nut and cinnamon. Coke has only phosphoric acid. Pepsi and most other sodas have added citric acid, so I avoid it.

nad

I use plain club soda and steer couple tbs of fruit syrup in it.

ShotTrue

Interesting, I had no idea I'll definitely watch that one. I rather use plain sugar cane if at all possible.
So RO agrees with the HFCS badness? Interesting.
Fructose causes lipogensis more than anything else, the permanent addition of more fat cells

TeaRex14

So RO agrees with the HFCS badness? Interesting.
Fructose causes lipogensis more than anything else, the permanent addition of more fat cells
Yeah I haven't had a chance to stop by Trader Joes yet to look for those blue sky sodas. But I did find some of those Pepsis made with sugar cane at my local Kroger. Pretty good, I can't say they're drastically better then traditional coke, but it's worth it to just get rid of the corn syrup.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I went ahead and tried some MC I got at WM. I like it, and seem to do pretty OK on it. Perhaps it is the caffeine in it, but it's definitely a bit addicting of a drink. Lol

Jennifer

I haven't tried it myself, but my family likes this soda:

Capt'n Eli's Web Store

It's available at regular grocery stores and Walmart in the New England area, but I'm not sure about the rest of the US. I didn't see a list of ingredients on the website so I checked the bottle of blueberry we have in the pantry and it lists — water, cane sugar, blueberry juice concentrate, grape juice concentrate, blueberry and other natural flavors, yucca.

PeatReader

I'd like to use a natural soda instead of coke also, but what are the benefits of coke that I'm looking for? E.g.
sugar
caffeine
cola extract
CO2

Are sprite or ginger ale nearly as good as coke in Ray Peat's eyes? Or is the lack of caffeine and cola significant?